Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: English football season starts........................
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 19, 2012 01:27

Thankyou Denmark for lending Michael Laudrup (the world's best footballer in the '90s) to my home team.... to be our new manager.............heh, heh.......................

Q.P.R. 0 - Swansea City 5...........>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<

Re: OT: English football season starts........................
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 19, 2012 02:07

As a QPR fan I have to say Swansea were lucky. They were lucky we were so shit!

Date: August 19, 2012 02:42

Braincapers
As a QPR fan I have to say Swansea were lucky. They were lucky we were so shit!

grinning smiley ...that's funny............and about time as well after all the hard times QPR have given Swansea over the years............got to admit I wasn't hoping for much this morning, a draw would have been a an OK start.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 19, 2012 07:03

First game I watched. Arsenal/Sunderland. 0-0...............Somebody want to tell me a gain,how thrilling this sport is?thumbs down

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: August 19, 2012 07:38

Wherever van Persie plays will win the season, ex arsenal fan, go man u

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2012 07:51

As an American, can someone over there tell me exactly when football there ends and they start it up again? There doesn't seem to be an off season. And then they play all over Europe and the world and then it starts all over again. Do you think it's that way because you don't have any other major sports? Most of our sports seasons are 6-7 months long, and then their definitely over and you miss them and are anticipatory for the next season. How do you miss football in Europe if it never ends?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 19, 2012 09:33

Villa are going down.

I think that's 17 league games now without a win.

The Randy Learner dream is over and he has lost interest.

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: August 19, 2012 10:22

GravityBoy
Villa are going down.

I hate to agree with you but from what I saw at Upton Park yesterday nothing has changed from last season. We badly need some creative spark and additional options up front.

I'll back Lambert but he needs money to spend.

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: August 19, 2012 10:27

24FPS
As an American, can someone over there tell me exactly when football there ends and they start it up again? There doesn't seem to be an off season. And then they play all over Europe and the world and then it starts all over again. Do you think it's that way because you don't have any other major sports? Most of our sports seasons are 6-7 months long, and then their definitely over and you miss them and are anticipatory for the next season. How do you miss football in Europe if it never ends?

There is a close season. The British domestic leagues finish in May and start up again in mid-August. I've been anticipating the new season for a few weeks now.

Football is such a global brand now that it does seem to be relentless but I guess that cash is king and teams will go where the money dictates.

Date: August 19, 2012 12:50

24FPS

As Scooby says there is a close season, May 'til August but then on top of that you have the World cup every 4 years and the Euros every 4 years,
WC = 2010,2014,2018 etc
Euros = 2012,2016, 2020 etc
So....it's only in the odd years do you get a proper 'no football at all' close season...2011,2013,2015 etc etc.....
But even during the WC & Euro seasons it's only 3 weeks extra during the domestic close season of 3 months.
Having said that, different parts of the world have different close seasons, nothing in Russia over the winter and obviously south of the equator they'll be still playing when we're off...........so, yes there's always football going on somewhere.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 19, 2012 12:52

Planning to see WestHam this season.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 19, 2012 13:07

sweetcharmedlife
First game I watched. Arsenal/Sunderland. 0-0...............Somebody want to tell me a gain,how thrilling this sport is?thumbs down

High scoring sports or sports where scoring is an almost inevitability at the end of every play is for audiences with short attention spans and low boredom thresholds.

Not much point celebrating a couple of points being racked up in basketball, when you know it'll happen again in about 30 seconds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-19 13:08 by Gazza.

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: August 19, 2012 13:47

Come On You Irons!

WEST HAM TILL I DIE!

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: August 19, 2012 14:04

I've read and heard lots of comment on forums and in the media in general from people saying their anticipation for the new season isn't as high as usual due the olympics and many are making unflattering comparisons between footballers and athletes.

Rubbish i say, i'm delighted that the every four years novelty of rowing, cycling and the rest has been and gone and the proper stuff can begin.

Think RVP will swing it for United this season, City second, Chelsea third and Arsenal fourth

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 19, 2012 14:15

Come on City. Southampton at home today. Tevez and Aguerro lookd good together against Chelsea last week. And hopefully Sinclair will arrive from Swansea within a few days although I really can't see the need for him as we already have Adam Johnson.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: August 19, 2012 14:22

Silver Dagger
Come on City. Southampton at home today. Tevez and Aguerro lookd good together against Chelsea last week. And hopefully Sinclair will arrive from Swansea within a few days although I really can't see the need for him as we already have Adam Johnson.

Johnson might be off to Sunderland for 10 million..

Date: August 19, 2012 14:46

still ill
I've read and heard lots of comment on forums and in the media in general from people saying their anticipation for the new season isn't as high as usual due the olympics and many are making unflattering comparisons between footballers and athletes.

Rubbish i say, i'm delighted that the every four years novelty of rowing, cycling and the rest has been and gone and the proper stuff can begin.

Think RVP will swing it for United this season, City second, Chelsea third and Arsenal fourth

And Swansea 5th............grinning smiley..........New signing Michu looks a live wire ...(and the other 2 new La Liga's look tasty)

Date: August 19, 2012 14:54

Silver Dagger

I think Sinclair will be a mug to leave Swansea, he'll end up like Jason Scotland, on the subs bench for a year and then into the obscurity of the Championship.
Leon Britton was a star here, left for Sheffield Utd - bench - then wised up and came back.
Same with Lee Trundle, star - left for the 'big boys' (at the time) Bristol City came back, bench here, then ended up playing for Neath. grinning smiley
Jason Scotland - Wigan - bench - Ipswich for a while ....then, where is he now?
Brendon Rodgers to be sacked by Guy Fawkes night and then back to Watford...........>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-19 14:55 by EddieByword.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: August 19, 2012 15:27

EddieByword
still ill

And Swansea 5th............grinning smiley..........New signing Michu looks a live wire ...(and the other 2 new La Liga's look tasty)

Forget 5th, can you beat Arsenal to 4th pleasegrinning smiley

laudrup appears to have used his contacts well. Long old season though, Rodgers has taken on the poisoned chalice.

Date: August 19, 2012 15:40

still ill
EddieByword
still ill

Forget 5th, can you beat Arsenal to 4th pleasegrinning smiley

laudrup appears to have used his contacts well. Long old season though, Rodgers has taken on the poisoned chalice.

Oh no, dilemmas, dilemmas, Arsenal are my childhood team from when I lived in Gravesend and my mother's family are from there (Highbury). Though, I was chuffed when the Swans beat them 3-2 last season.............smiling bouncing smiley

I seriously agree with that, I'll be really surprised if he's still there at Xmas...........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-19 15:59 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 19, 2012 15:46

I dont like the english football---prefer the german bundesliga, much stronger!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 19, 2012 15:56

while most of my mates like football I prefer
nude tunnel-ball but its a real arse of a sport ta watch

ROCKMAN

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: August 19, 2012 17:52

GOO
Wherever van Persie plays will win the season, ex arsenal fan, go man u

And people wonder why the yanks don't 'get' football confused smiley

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: August 19, 2012 17:59

Scooby
GravityBoy
Villa are going down.

I hate to agree with you but from what I saw at Upton Park yesterday nothing has changed from last season. We badly need some creative spark and additional options up front.

Lads, the last game we won was Fulham on March 10th. Certainly not 17 games ago!

Lambert isn't going to change a team thats struggled for two seasons overnight, but you can already see he's trying to completely change our style of play. I thought we were ponderous at best yesterday (West Ham no better), we passed it around nicely but with no edge. Which made it pointless

IMHO we need a left back (obviously) a winger (two would be nice) and a hard midfield general. Another striker to ease the burden on Bent wouldn't hurt either. Doubt Randy can be arsed to splash the required cash though

Lets be honest though, we could've had Bent, Torres, Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez up front yesterday and it wouldnt have made a blind bit of difference. If you don't get the ball to the strikers then you aint gonna score whoever you are

UTV

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 19, 2012 19:19

sweetcharmedlife

You gotta use your imagination.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 19, 2012 19:34

Gazza
sweetcharmedlife

High scoring sports or sports where scoring is an almost inevitability at the end of every play is for audiences with short attention spans and low boredom thresholds.

Not much point celebrating a couple of points being racked up in basketball, when you know it'll happen again in about 30 seconds.

Exactly. Look at Tennis - too much scoring. Would just once love to see a match end at "Love Love".

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2012 19:39

Gazza
High scoring sports or sports where scoring is an almost inevitability at the end of every play is for audiences with short attention spans and low boredom thresholds. Not much point celebrating a couple of points being racked up in basketball, when you know it'll happen again in about 30 seconds.

I think it shows that we enjoy what we grow up on. The popular American sports now have a balance between scoring and defense, with both being appreciated. Sports in America used to be slower paced and lower scoring. New upstart leagues like the AFL in the 60s and the ABA in the 70s had to bring more entertainment to the table, which meant offense. Even baseball, in the American League, instituted the designated hitter rule to generate more runs. Professional ice hockey is, to us, a faster moving form of soccer.

I remember being in Buenos Aires and that nights local sports show had highlights of 'almost scores' for the football leagues. As an American I found it ludicrous to be interested in the failures. To have these athletes who can score in all these wondrous ways, and never see them do it, is out of our mind think. You go to see Beckham score on the day you pay to go see him sort of thing. This is not a judgment. As I said at the beginning, we probably all enjoy what we grew up on. But I get a headache even trying to understand cricket.

Date: August 19, 2012 20:08

24FPS
Gazza
High scoring sports or sports where scoring is an almost inevitability at the end of every play is for audiences with short attention spans and low boredom thresholds. Not much point celebrating a couple of points being racked up in basketball, when you know it'll happen again in about 30 seconds.

I think it shows that we enjoy what we grow up on. The popular American sports now have a balance between scoring and defense, with both being appreciated. Sports in America used to be slower paced and lower scoring. New upstart leagues like the AFL in the 60s and the ABA in the 70s had to bring more entertainment to the table, which meant offense. Even baseball, in the American League, instituted the designated hitter rule to generate more runs. Professional ice hockey is, to us, a faster moving form of soccer.

I remember being in Buenos Aires and that nights local sports show had highlights of 'almost scores' for the football leagues. As an American I found it ludicrous to be interested in the failures. To have these athletes who can score in all these wondrous ways, and never see them do it, is out of our mind think. You go to see Beckham score on the day you pay to go see him sort of thing. This is not a judgment. As I said at the beginning, we probably all enjoy what we grew up on. But I get a headache even trying to understand cricket.

Well, we all know they're crazy in B.Aires, you just have to watch a Live Stones DVD...........although are you sure it wasn't a program of "greatest saves" or bloopers..........we have those in England sometimes tagged on the main show............

As for cricket....easy................winking smiley
Rules of cricket.............

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.

When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-19 20:11 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 19, 2012 20:59

Havo
I dont like the english football---prefer the german bundesliga, much stronger!

Not in terms of quality of football. No way. The amount of worldwide talent that plays in the English Premiership is the greatest in the world - at the expense of the English national team. German football is more insular and that is why they are a much stronger team than the English.

But at club level - you only have to see how many English teams make it in to the last stages of the Champions League to check on that. It is also tougher and more competitive.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 19, 2012 22:32

andy js
Scooby
GravityBoy
Villa are going down.

Lads, the last game we won was Fulham on March 10th. Certainly not 17 games ago!

Lambert isn't going to change a team thats struggled for two seasons overnight, but you can already see he's trying to completely change our style of play. I thought we were ponderous at best yesterday (West Ham no better), we passed it around nicely but with no edge. Which made it pointless

IMHO we need a left back (obviously) a winger (two would be nice) and a hard midfield general. Another striker to ease the burden on Bent wouldn't hurt either. Doubt Randy can be arsed to splash the required cash though

Lets be honest though, we could've had Bent, Torres, Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez up front yesterday and it wouldnt have made a blind bit of difference. If you don't get the ball to the strikers then you aint gonna score whoever you are

UTV

Yeah sorry.. Fulham.. forgot about that one.

That's one of only 2 league game we won in 2012.

Either of you two guys old enough to remember the 70s.

Now that was a time to be a Villa fan.

I started going down Villa Park in '68.

What a ride.

And for the Americans who don't "get" football.. quality beats quantity... and you probably never saw a sports star like George Best who didn't need to score goals to be completely brilliant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-19 22:33 by GravityBoy.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1393
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home