Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
New Album Or Tour?
Date: August 24, 2012 06:48

If you had to choose one, what would it be?

Difficult choice, but I think I would choose a new album with all new songs.

Of course we are going to get both at some point, but which one would mean more to you as a fan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-24 06:53 by MightyStonesStillRollin50.

Re: New Album Or Tour?
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 24, 2012 06:56

They just haven't done enough live renditions of HONKY TONK WOMEN and TUMBLIN' DICE.

I'd prefer a new studio album by a mile.

Date: August 24, 2012 07:06

Title5Take1
They just haven't done enough live renditions of HONKY TONK WOMEN and TUMBLIN' DICE.

I'd prefer a new studio album by a mile.

I agree, but probably not by as much as a mile. Maybe a half mile.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 24, 2012 07:06

...Studio album ...and make it a double

ROCKMAN

Date: August 24, 2012 07:08

Rockman
...Studio album ...and make it a double

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: August 24, 2012 07:30

MightyStonesStillRollin50

Of course we are going to get both at some point, but which one would mean more to you as a fan?

I don't imagine them sustaining even the quality of the last tour, and no bad feelings on that; as others have said they don't "owe" anyone anything at this point, and they shouldn't be faulted for simply aging.

So I would say a genuinely "new" album (not a compilation) would be the best choice from my point of view. I see it as getting something that might still have a chance of being "great" - if they look at it the same way that is, as a memorable swan song and do justice to their legacy. However unlikely that may be, it is at least possible. Something that isn't true of a live performance any longer I don't believe.

Now, if they in fact choose to do a handful of gigs and HBO special, festival or whatever, of course it would be wonderful to see them on stage together again.

If I really had my way, silly as it may be to indulge such fantasy, the Glimmers would lean heavily on Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood on the creative for whatever might be squeezed out of those two at this late date, because I just feel the Jagger/Richards creative relationship is likely very stale, albeit I am reasonably sure they've let bygones be bygones on a personal level. But I don't think their craftsmanship at working a recording is stale at all. Just that they would benefit from a few more sources of inspiration - as Keith did with the Winos and Mick did with Superheavy.

Of course they could do a "Last Waltz" type of thing with two dozen A or B list near contemporaries - but they won't.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 24, 2012 08:26

a new 2 CD set. the material is there.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: August 24, 2012 09:20

A NEW ALBUM of course, rather than an 70 years old singer moving his wrinkeled ass and wearing pink suits. I wouldn't the Stones doing some club shows with mick sitting on a stool and playing a couple of acoustic "stripped" tunes.
Shows like his appearance in the White House lately or on "Saturday Night" leaves a bad taste though his voice did sound well.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 24, 2012 09:32

Well, for a new studio album, I wouldn't have to pay $300USD, or whatever, for which I would only have to wait in line for as long as it would take for the Newbury Comics cashier to wave me forward, and the tour for the same reason, because I wouldn't have to pay $300USD, for which I would only have to wait in line (with the DVD) for as long as it would take for the Newbury Comics cashier to wave me forward--and with the DVD, I could see the band better, drink as much beer as I like, and not have to leave my seat to take a piss...

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 24, 2012 12:04

A new album with all new songs indeed.

Since I entered the music of the Stones circa 1993 by ways of "Wandering Spirit", I'm more into the fairly recent material than most on this board. And I miss those songs in their setlists. Still, as I think this is unlikely to change, I'm not looking forward to a tour, but a new album instead.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: August 24, 2012 13:22

A new album.
I like ABB as it is(exept for some songs) but SG bonus disk, the song with william and Mick's appearance in the White House and on SNL show his voice in a great form now - so I hope new material may be better. Imagine that new songs with the voice as he sings on Do You Think I Really Care
and few gigs and HBO special - it's not tour, right?

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: August 24, 2012 14:25

I'm greedy. I want both..but I know, I knoooow.....I can't always get what I want.....

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 24, 2012 14:31

look what happened last time y'all asked for a new album. i got stuck with a dud. let's go the safe route here and have mick tell us all about his "life."

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 24, 2012 14:36

I'm glad you're so confident. They're under no contractual obligation to deliver one and the chances of them recording and releasing one in the next few months is incredibly slim.

Posted by: Keyman ()
Date: August 24, 2012 14:37

I believe no tour anymore but maybe some last gigs.
Perhaps London and New York.
Thats it!

Posted by: FolkyFireKitten1 ()
Date: August 24, 2012 15:03

Which album begins with 'Start Me Up'?..

Date: August 24, 2012 15:37

.......ummmmm

ROCKMAN

Date: August 24, 2012 15:39

.........i can see the cover and everything

ROCKMAN

Date: August 24, 2012 15:41

.......Micks got like tyre-marks on his face

ROCKMAN

Date: August 24, 2012 18:21

Neither.

Box set, unreleased material.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 24, 2012 18:24

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Neither.

new or old mick vox?

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: August 24, 2012 18:28

New outtakes album!

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: August 24, 2012 18:33

New tour, since they haven't released a great album since 1981, just a few good songs.

Date: August 24, 2012 18:43

StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Neither.

new or old mick vox?

Hmmmm. I think... OK, for example, those boot versions of Misty Roads and Fiji Gin/Jim/Jin etc, or at least the ones I've heard anyway, I've no idea if there are more than one, would be fine the way they are, with the goofy oohs and whatever. The original vocals, the guide vocals.

Just that it's sonically correct/best, not some scratchy hissy sounding working mix boot quality.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 24, 2012 18:55

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Neither.

Nice idea if enough of the songs are a) finished and b) good.

I'd take it a bit further and suggest that more preferable to any new album, new tour or boxed set would be an onging series of multiple disc live releases from the archives a la the Dead's "Dick's Picks" series........

'Gazza's Picks' has a nice ring to it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 24, 2012 18:59

We're only three years away from the ABB Deluxe 10th Anniveresary Reissue!

Date: August 24, 2012 19:21

Gazza
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Neither.

Nice idea if enough of the songs are a) finished and b) good.

I'd take it a bit further and suggest that more preferable to any new album, new tour or boxed set would be an onging series of multiple disc live releases from the archives a la the Dead's "Dick's Picks" series........

'Gazza's Picks' has a nice ring to it.

Ha ha. This seems to be a on-going discussion/conversation doesn't it! Like you say, some people would like to have them, regardless of being finished, and perhaps the other part of that would be they'd like them finished. I'd just like to hear it in the best quality.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 24, 2012 20:21

If we're getting an archive box set it's no wonder they're back in the studio...they're adding new vocals and music to the 30 year old, unfinished songs!

If they can release untouched outtakes without any 2012 overdubs...I'm for it. But if they (Mick) has to resort to filling in the gaps with modern overdubs...forget the whole damn thing.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 24, 2012 20:37

Justin
If we're getting an archive box set it's no wonder they're back in the studio...they're adding new vocals and music to the 30 year old, unfinished songs!

If they can release untouched outtakes without any 2012 overdubs...I'm for it. But if they (Mick) has to resort to filling in the gaps with modern overdubs...forget the whole damn thing.

Awww c'mon. A backing vocal here or there never hurt anybody...Mick was adding guitar to Winning Uglier '12...

Date: August 24, 2012 20:43

SweetThing

I don't imagine them sustaining even the quality of the last tour, and no bad feelings on that; as others have said they don't "owe" anyone anything at this point, and they shouldn't be faulted for simply aging.

So I would say a genuinely "new" album (not a compilation) would be the best choice from my point of view. I see it as getting something that might still have a chance of being "great" - if they look at it the same way that is, as a memorable swan song and do justice to their legacy. However unlikely that may be, it is at least possible. Something that isn't true of a live performance any longer I don't believe.

Now, if they in fact choose to do a handful of gigs and HBO special, festival or whatever, of course it would be wonderful to see them on stage together again.

If I really had my way, silly as it may be to indulge such fantasy, the Glimmers would lean heavily on Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood on the creative for whatever might be squeezed out of those two at this late date, because I just feel the Jagger/Richards creative relationship is likely very stale, albeit I am reasonably sure they've let bygones be bygones on a personal level. But I don't think their craftsmanship at working a recording is stale at all. Just that they would benefit from a few more sources of inspiration - as Keith did with the Winos and Mick did with Superheavy.

Of course they could do a "Last Waltz" type of thing with two dozen A or B list near contemporaries - but they won't.

Excellent comments.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home