Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Never Ending Song Of Love - Delaney and Bonnie - 1971
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 24, 2012 04:17

This song I heard on an Olive Garden commercial brought back memories of my younger days with my family.

Does anyone here have any memories from those days in the early 70's?

Here is a moving comment I found with the video:

In 1971 I used to drink my lunch in a bar on Larimer St. in Denver Co. This song was on the jukebox and i played it every day, sometimes twice. One day the song was missing and I asked the girl why it was not there. She reached behind the bar and handed me the 45 and said they were putting on new records and she knew how much I liked it. A week later, I found that she had taken her life. I will always have a connection with this song, that time in my life and that girl. Thanks for posting it.

Re: OT - Never Ending Song Of Love - Delaney and Bonnie - 1971
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 24, 2012 09:40

The song was a big hit in the UK by The New Seekers.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 24, 2012 09:49

The Sicilian
This song I heard on an Olive Garden commercial brought back memories of my younger days with my family.

No, but I would have had to have known your family back then to have memories brought back of them--and you!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 24, 2012 11:57

It's a good song.

Ray Charles does a funky cover of it though.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 24, 2012 12:40

It was a big hit in Holland as well, I loved it back then

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-24 22:26 by NICOS.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 24, 2012 12:51

Silver Dagger
The song was a big hit in the UK by The New Seekers.

thumbs up

Hey,that was my first record....

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 24, 2012 13:39

Love Delaney and Bonnie.

Here they are with Eric Clapton and Dave Mason on the Fame and Price Show (UK).

Date: August 24, 2012 14:08

I love them too. I have their rhinohandmade box set of their UK tour. Amazing group !

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 24, 2012 16:37

when did clyde join the group?

Date: August 24, 2012 22:15

tomcasagranda
I love them too. I have their rhinohandmade box set of their UK tour. Amazing group !

What year was that from?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 24, 2012 22:26

They did Never Ending Song of Love in 1971....

And divorced a year or 2 later.

Date: August 24, 2012 23:15

The Sicilian
tomcasagranda

What year was that from?

December 1969 to be exact. It was released as On Tour With Eric Clapton, and Coming Home was the big single from it. Clapton had them as the support for a brief Blind Faith tour, and he was quite taken by their Southern blue-eyed soul. I think Delaney convinced Clapton to utilise his singing voice: their influence is also all over Eric Clapton's solo album from 1970. Clapton also formed Derek & The Dominos from the ashes of this touring band.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 24, 2012 23:27

Thanks for the post, The Sicilian. I hadn't listened to any Delaney and Bonnie for a while, spent much of today playing their music. Great stuff - took me back to my younger days as well.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 25, 2012 00:19

Photo of Derek and the Dominos, Santa Monica, 1970 by BluzDude - Jim Gordon, Eric Clapton and Delaney Bramlett

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: August 25, 2012 01:53

Love love love Delaney & Bonnie-- they were the 1st concert I ever saw-- my older brother & I played their "On Tour With Clapton" album the entire summer it came out and when they played Boston he took me to see them (I was only 13 )-what a great older brother !
Fabulous band-- and they spawned so many other great bands / musicians--
Joe Cockers Mad Dogs & Englishmen, Bobby Keys & Jim Price with the Stones, Derek & the Dominoes, and more-- they were a HUGE influence on music in 1969-1970... Claptons 1st solo album could have been a Delaney & Bomnie album- the only difference was Clapton was the lead vocalist--thats all.
Also dont forget the Stones connection- their producer was Jimmy Miller-- and dont forget the Beatles connection: Harrison is also on the "On Tour" album- he was credited as "L"Angelo Mysterioso"--he was a Beatle at the time and had to appear under another name-- great band--check them out!

Date: August 25, 2012 02:09

latebloomer
Thanks for the post, The Sicilian. I hadn't listened to any Delaney and Bonnie for a while, spent much of today playing their music. Great stuff - took me back to my younger days as well.

That is the beauty of music, at one point you have heard enough of a band or album and you put it on the shelf for awhile, then years later you get a little taste of a song you loved from a movie, a commercial, the radio, or even on this site and the memories flood your mind once again and then you get back a little kick again and start spinning the record. It happens all the time.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 25, 2012 03:08

The Sicilian

Here is a moving comment I found with the video:

In 1971 I used to drink my lunch in a bar on Larimer St. in Denver Co. This song was on the jukebox and i played it every day, sometimes twice. One day the song was missing and I asked the girl why it was not there. She reached behind the bar and handed me the 45 and said they were putting on new records and she knew how much I liked it. A week later, I found that she had taken her life. I will always have a connection with this song, that time in my life and that girl. Thanks for posting it.

I had the exact reaction when I saw the commercial. I love this song, and it is one of those songs that are so of their time. In a good way. It takes me back to being a kid in 1971. I think songs like this, that have not been so overexposed and overplayed and marketed in commercials or movies, are as special as an old family photo. Priceless.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 25, 2012 10:11

bob r
Lous band-- and they spawned so many other great bands / musicians--
Joe Cockers Mad Dogs & Englishmen, Bobby Keys & Jim Price with the Stones, Derek & the Dominoes, and more-- they were a HUGE influence on music in 1969-1970... Claptons 1st solo album could have been a Delaney & Bomnie album-

Delaney also taught George Harrison how to play slide guitar, and you've got a bunch of D&B's "Friends" playing on All Things Must Pass.

Really, the RnR Hall of Fame should do a long overdue induction of Delaney & Bonnie, and make it "Delaney & Bonnie and Friends." That way you'd get the three Dominos who are not already in the Hall in there--Whitlock, Radle, and Gordon. How can they be left out when rock radio has played "Layla" multiple times daily for the last 40 years??

Plus you'd get Bobby and Jim Price in there too. It needs to happen.

Date: August 25, 2012 17:21

stupidguy2
I had the exact reaction when I saw the commercial. I love this song, and it is one of those songs that are so of their time. In a good way. It takes me back to being a kid in 1971. I think songs like this, that have not been so overexposed and overplayed and marketed in commercials or movies, are as special as an old family photo. Priceless.

Well said and very true.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home