Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: When did Mick change his stage strut?
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 23, 2010 20:39

the 78 tour stage moves were the best IMO

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 23, 2010 21:16

The thing about the 1969 tour that I think is what people like so much was that Mick was NOT so Mick Jagger ie 1981 etc but more "contained" - he would move his foot, do a shimmy, more actual dancing than the frantic hopping around he's been doing for eons. It was WITH the music, not BECAUSE he was Mick Jagger.

I like the sort of quick step he did for the Babylon tours. He was a bit more focused, overall, than the Voodoo or Steel Wheels or Tattoo You tours. Not so affected like he was on Steel Wheels, not so dramatic like he was for Voodoo and not so clown on cocaine for Tattoo You.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 23, 2010 21:37

I think of Mick's dancing, certainly between the 69 tour, and the 78 tour, as being primarily sexual in its connotations, and starting in 81, it became almost more aerobic within its style, although in 78 the more aerobic style can be seen to be creeping in gradually. Those early twists and spins were great because they came across fairly unforced and natural, and not especially pre-conceived. When Jagger began performing in huge stadiums much of the subtelty and charm of his dancing was lost, as Jagger made his dancing, or movements, much more of an issue, and they became greatly exaggerated.

Re: yeah but ...
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 23, 2010 22:54

yeah i know i know i know ... but we've also all witnessed those breathtaking moments in the middle of current shows
when ... yikes ~ my lord ~ look at that: the Mick's 24 years old again! eye popping smiley
and the guitarists are 19 :E

how do they do that?!
they are the Rolling Stones, that's how

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 23, 2010 23:10

Sighunt
...the best Jagger moves were featured on the '69 tour- (IMHO) nothing he has done since then on the concert stage has come close....accept no substitutes!!!

Oh yes, I agree 100%. That was his zenith as far as generating excitement. He really had crowds moving in those days. Still my favorite tour.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: November 24, 2010 02:31

loog droog
If they stop playing stadiums and move down to arenas and theaters, Jagger can work a smaller stage the way he used to. The "Jumpin' Jack Flash" Jagger that we've seen since '68 is great for working those larger venues, but he needs to dial it down back to the deliberate, coy, maracas-shaking bluesman wanna-be Mick that existed in the TAMI Show and all that Ed Sullivan footage.

Absolutely! Couldn't agree with you more. We need to cut him a little slack when it comes to the stadium shows, a vast wilderness of unsettled territory out there! As far as the smaller venues go, YES, he should indeed time travel back to 1968 and the Rolling Stones Rock 'N' Roll Circus! Would love to see him go back to doing his Barney Fife imitation! Absolutely loved that version of Mick Jagger!

Saw him in Seattle in '06 and even though he rarely stopped moving the entire night he seemed liked someone who was just going through the motions. He seemed a little better for the Austin concert a few days later, but that one was being filmed for the ABB DVD of course. It is possible he was fighting a cold in Seattle and Austin. They had just come from Chicago where they had been exposed to some pretty severe cold, he even made a comment on how they had froze their asses off there. I think it was shortly after the concerts at the Beacon that he came down with a throat issue resulting in a couple shows being cancelled.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 24, 2010 02:57

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: November 26, 2010 03:38

I'm watching the LSTNT movie on VH1 while reading this and 1928 was a great year for Mick's dancing either

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: November 26, 2010 06:23

his strut changed after Keith hauled off and kicked him in the nuts for being such a dick,,,

but it didnt help his personality,,,

gotta love the stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-26 06:24 by northernale1.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 27, 2010 05:44

northernale1
his strut changed after Keith hauled off and kicked him in the nuts for being such a dick,,,

but it didnt help his personality,,,

So THAT is how Mick got such a "tiny todger". Huh.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: November 27, 2010 05:47

Watching Shine A Light. Whatever he's doing on there works for me...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 27, 2010 06:25

After watching a video clip from 1969. I don't really think his strut has changed much. It's just a matter of the stage getting bigger and having more ground to cover. He still moves the same.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 27, 2010 12:25

If there is one particular performance that would point out the "essential Mick Jagger" I think it is the following. It captures the manouvres he had developed through the 60's - see how to use mic stand, the food kicks, etc - but is also has the elements of the years (decades) to come: hand moves, physicalism and self-irony but its still had that the immediacy and understaning of little nuances in his face impressions. I think this is the Jagger figure or 'prototype' he has worked with ever since:

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-27 12:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 27, 2010 12:35

The Story goes that Frank threw Jagger out when they started a debate
on politics: "Come back when you're sober"

So when Zappa released the album "sleep dirt" :

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2253
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home