Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Satanic Promotional Silk padded sleeve - pictures
Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: November 23, 2010 15:48

Hi Bolexman, you here in OZ too

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: November 23, 2010 16:40

A forum for Stones collectors, with more on the padded silk sleeve:
[mickijaggeroo.proboards.com]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 22:48

I would not rely on Record Collector. They're great, they've been the first, but they also made the worst misleading mistakes in RS record collecting. Does anybody here remeber when they could not tell a record from South Africa from a British one and forced the Got LIVE If You Want It! RSA EP to crazy prices by listing it as a British export? The same was for the RSA DECCA live album...white label? Promotional only! The very first description of TSMR given by Record Collector was PADDED CUSHION SILKSCREEN SLEEVE
They never got a copy, still they changed their description, as the times went by.
Again, it really surprises me they never listed the DECCA in-house Christmas edition of Rolled Gold and other gems. Nobody's perfect, but it's a long time I do prefer fellow collectors as reliable source for first-hand infos.
Last but not least, I guess that the other Italian collector who holds a copy of the advance TSMR identical to mine is a reader of this forum: he'll come up, if he pleases.
Come on L., post pictures...
Ciao, Luca

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 23, 2010 23:10

schillid
I am skeptical.
And the document...
yada yada

Honestman

2-3 & 4 No offense

No offense taken
I'm just sayin'

Date: November 23, 2010 23:23

Might an "authentic" item have been made with a different type of cardboard than the regular blue and white cover? Something to withstand gluing and/or stitching?
Maybe a wealthy Rolling Stones collector (you know who you are...) will pay to have have it x-rayed to find out if it is glued onto a regular blue & white cover...

Where were these made?

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: November 23, 2010 23:24

1963luca0
I would not rely on Record Collector. They're great, they've been the first, but they also made the worst misleading mistakes in RS record collecting. Does anybody here remeber when they could not tell a record from South Africa from a British one and forced the Got LIVE If You Want It! RSA EP to crazy prices by listing it as a British export? The same was for the RSA DECCA live album...white label? Promotional only! The very first description of TSMR given by Record Collector was PADDED CUSHION SILKSCREEN SLEEVE
They never got a copy, still they changed their description, as the times went by.
Again, it really surprises me they never listed the DECCA in-house Christmas edition of Rolled Gold and other gems. Nobody's perfect, but it's a long time I do prefer fellow collectors as reliable source for first-hand infos.
Last but not least, I guess that the other Italian collector who holds a copy of the advance TSMR identical to mine is a reader of this forum: he'll come up, if he pleases.
Come on L., post pictures...
Ciao, Luca

Would that be the same L... that did the fantastic "The Rolling Stones Worldwide Discography" back in 1998? Cos there is a picture in the book of the same LP that you have Luca. I had a lot of communication with him about 10 years back but I lost connection with him.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 23, 2010 23:48

Well I have no idea whether the "silk padded sleeve" is a reality or not but here are some shots from the album cover photo shoot

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: November 24, 2010 00:13

here's my well worn & stained copy:

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 24, 2010 02:31

And here's my framed LONDON NP-2 3D Mono Edition

The strange thing since I've hung it on my wall ,is that I always got the feeling
to be watch by the 3D lenticular, they move their heads when I move, very scary maybe I'm a bit paranoid >grinning smiley<

HMN

Date: November 24, 2010 03:21

When turning the cover side to side, you saw the image change back and forth... One shot with all of them looking straight ahead at the camera... another image which showed them -- except for Mick in the middle -- looking at one another in pairs: Charlie and Keith looking at each other; Bill and Brian looking at each other.

But I haven't been able to spot that "looking at each other" shot ...

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 24, 2010 03:24

schillid
Might an "authentic" item have been made with a different type of cardboard than the regular blue and white cover? Something to withstand gluing and/or stitching?

not when you consider that the SET for the photoshoot was made
with $3 worth styro-foam and a 50 cent pack of glitter.

anything's possible.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: November 24, 2010 03:30

Oh wait a minute... I think that there might be some misunderstanding

Suppose they just meant that the Stones were wearing Silk Sleeves on the cover of Satanic...

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 24, 2010 03:41

schillid
When turning the cover side to side, you saw the image change back and forth... One shot with all of them looking straight ahead at the camera... another image which showed them -- except for Mick in the middle -- looking at one another in pairs: Charlie and Keith looking at each other; Bill and Brian looking at each other.

But I haven't been able to spot that "looking at each other" shot ...

Yes I know the story Schillid, it was a joke but you're right to take a "lookin' at each other shot" ain't easy with a cheap camera.

HMN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 24, 2010 05:43

Interesting stuff, that 3d promotional display is so damn cool!!!

Added this thread to my Where's that joint? - The Satanic Sessions HQ thread - [www.iorr.org]

thumbs up

Date: November 24, 2010 07:44

I am the milanese L. - who wrote book, he's a different L., from the middle of Italy,
ciao, Luca

Date: November 24, 2010 09:07

Aaaah

CIAO LUCA

Your book is on my desk and I still use it a lot!!!!
What happenend to betweenthebuttons.com ?
Do you have an updated version available?

Please contact me on my mail janrichards@stonesvikings.com

Regards

Jan from Finland

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: November 24, 2010 10:11

The site has been closed due to my lack of time.
After the book was out, I published a heavily up-dated data-base on CD only, a very long time ago.
I have a second digital edition consisting of a never-ending work-in-progress.
If my memory serves me well, I have 15.000+ entries listed.
The only problem is that I have no time to keep on updating the database the way I used to do.
At the moment, I'm after the translation of the off-groove data onto US vinyls.
I've located (almost) all the record plants LONDON used in outsource: one can hardly
wonder how wide your horizon can get, this way.
Keep on rolling,
Luca

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: November 24, 2010 11:19

Luca, please: If you release the CD-rom (even if it's not finished) let us know!

Best

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: November 24, 2010 12:11

Hi Luca,
Yes I agree with Ricky- please let us know if you ever release the CD-Rom, finished or not. Sounds like a great resource. I haven't read your book that Jan speaks so highly of, now I am determined to find a copy...

Date: November 24, 2010 12:12

whiskey
Hi Bolexman, you here in OZ too

Hi whiskey! Yes I am in Melbourne. And you?

Date: November 24, 2010 12:24

At the moment, the database is a maze where only I can find the way-out.
It's should be reworked before releasing and I don't think it will happen, soon.
If any IORRian needs info, please, ask via Tell Me forum and I'll try to help.
Bye, Luca

Date: November 24, 2010 12:42

I have been studying both padded items, and based only on what I can read and see in photos, I believe the item Jan has kindly shared is indeed authentic.

No offense to anybody, but the padded "Stones" lettered version seems homemade. Especially the lettering on the inside gatefold. And the fact the letter "S" is a different shape each time on the silk. A corporate job wouldn't have done that, surely. Maybe it was a mock-up from the Decca offices/art department. Just guessing here. The pink silk version seems more authentic, and it matches a previous sighting by whiskey. But that's the appeal of all this- it is a mystery. I look forward to the next twist.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: November 25, 2010 02:55

Hi bolexman, I am in Perth region, why is everyone in the East. I must be the only one in the West.I am trying to make it to Melbourne soon, wanna share some turps with Rockman.

Date: November 25, 2010 15:28

Perth is a great city, I have been there before... went the scenic route by catching the Indian Pacific Train across the Nullabor several years ago. Yes, Rockman lives Melbourne way apparently.

Your description of the Satanic padded item is very very interesting. Amazing actually. It must be somewhere in Oz. I wonder how long until it turns up?

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: November 28, 2010 12:02

1963luca0
At the moment, the database is a maze where only I can find the way-out.
It's should be reworked before releasing and I don't think it will happen, soon.
If any IORRian needs info, please, ask via Tell Me forum and I'll try to help.
Bye, Luca

Even if it's a rough version of the database I'll be interested, so please: let me know.

My mail is: ricardostone@hotmail.com

Best

Date: November 28, 2010 19:26

Date: December 12, 2010 23:40

Hi guys. I'd like to bring this discussion back into action.

How about this one:

Read more about it here:

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-12 23:45 by Jan Richards.

Date: December 13, 2010 00:29

From the site Jan Richards linked to (above): "The twin Bell Studio 12 inch Acetates are single sided pressed dated November 16th 1967. Close to a final stereo mix. The track “Cosmic Christmas” is still included as track 6 on side one. I have not timed songs etc but from memory only slight timing and mix variations occure. No mention of the Satanic title is on the label."

Wow! Thanks for posting Jan.

Date: December 13, 2010 21:30

Not many vinyl collectors around here any more that are interested in exclusive items from the Golden Vinyla era.....
Well, I guess I'll stick to my own forum

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 13, 2010 21:43

Jan Richards

How about this one:

Wow! Great looking!
If they had released Satanic as this it would have been even more sensational at the time, and more collectable today...

Superb work on your site, Jan!smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1659
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home