Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Would Stones Tour Flop Without Warhorses?
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 6, 2011 01:49

So some people think it would flop and others don't. There's yer answer I guess.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 6, 2011 02:01

skipstone
So some people think it would flop and others don't. There's yer answer I guess.

Depends on one's definition of a 'flop'.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 6, 2011 08:57

melillo
all they have to do is replace the warhorses with borderline warhorses which are songs that are very well known in their own right and then throw in a bunch of rarely played nuggets and there ya go a new and interesting set list to satisfy all of us

As good a summary as can be. It CAN be done, they just need to give it some thought.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 6, 2011 17:05

paulywaul
melillo
all they have to do is replace the warhorses with borderline warhorses which are songs that are very well known in their own right and then throw in a bunch of rarely played nuggets and there ya go a new and interesting set list to satisfy all of us

As good a summary as can be. It CAN be done, they just need to give it some thought.

call me a cynic, but i think this so called "need" to play the same 10 tunes everynight is just an excuse so they don't have to learn any "new" material...in other words: laziness.....

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 6, 2011 17:36

StonesTod
paulywaul
melillo

call me a cynic, but i think this so called "need" to play the same 10 tunes everynight is just an excuse so they don't have to learn any "new" material...in other words: laziness.....

Would be happy if it´s just laziness...otherwise one might think of lack of ability...

Date: January 6, 2011 17:49

shortfatfanny
StonesTod
paulywaul
melillo

Would be happy if it´s just laziness...otherwise one might think of lack of ability...

there's a relationship, in a sense, between the two. the amount of work that went into finally performing CYHMK (after many failed attempts), is evidence (and there are other examples) of just how inflexible this band can be...i think their own recognition of that leads to the laziness associated with the "unchanging script."

Date: January 6, 2011 17:54

Agree,but what scares me a bit is not only the amount of work but the time that went
into finally performing CYHMK.

Of course ,that´s irrelevant in case the go for a "WickiLicks" Tour...

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: January 6, 2011 19:32

As unlikely as it seems, I'd like to see them do what the Boss, and Rush are doing, that is a complete LP in the middle of the set...Maybe one night BB, the next SF, the next night GHS, next LIB, etc....

Date: January 6, 2011 19:50

dewlover
As unlikely as it seems, I'd like to see them do what the Boss, and Rush are doing, that is a complete LP in the middle of the set...Maybe one night BB, the next SF, the next night GHS, next LIB, etc....

remember those fabulous album theme nights on the licks tour? that's where they pulled 3 songs that were already staples in the set together and called it a theme. ingenious.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: January 6, 2011 21:48

But i'd want to know ahead of time so i could pick which one i wanted to attend...

Date: January 6, 2011 21:51

dewlover
But i'd want to know ahead of time so i could pick which one i wanted to attend...

front row seats still available for Dirty Work Night

Date: January 6, 2011 22:08

shortfatfanny
StonesTod
paulywaul
melillo

...and one might go even further: did they really, REALLY wríte these songs themselves? And played them in the studio, when they were recorded??

...or was it all just Blondie, again!?

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: tilst-mile ()
Date: January 6, 2011 22:51

Cocaine Eyes
The Sicilian
Women would be the one's in tears. Most, not all women, are probably there to see Mick and hear the big hits.

Take away the war horses and you will have long lines at the female restroom.

WHAT????? I'm a woman and I'd kill to NEVER again hear a warhorse. I'd kill to see Keith doing a set of four songs without Mick!!

That said, I do believe the warhorses must be played because people still want to hear 'Satisfaction', etc. And they know ahead of time because (at least in my city) the newspapers give reviews of the previous night's show and also give the setlist.

Damn, that was really sexist!! Thank God you said "Most, not all....".Geez.

Didn't Keith and Ron play Sure The One You Need at some gigs in 1975 instead of Happy?

Date: January 7, 2011 00:24

MississippiBullfrog
shortfatfanny
StonesTod
paulywaul
melillo

...and one might go even further: did they really, REALLY wríte these songs themselves? And played them in the studio, when they were recorded??

...or was it all just Blondie, again!?

Don´t forget the credits on the Biggest Bang DVD set...

Date: January 7, 2011 00:36

tilst-mile
Cocaine Eyes
The Sicilian
Women would be the one's in tears. Most, not all women, are probably there to see Mick and hear the big hits.

Take away the war horses and you will have long lines at the female restroom.

WHAT????? I'm a woman and I'd kill to NEVER again hear a warhorse. I'd kill to see Keith doing a set of four songs without Mick!!

That said, I do believe the warhorses must be played because people still want to hear 'Satisfaction', etc. And they know ahead of time because (at least in my city) the newspapers give reviews of the previous night's show and also give the setlist.

Damn, that was really sexist!! Thank God you said "Most, not all....".Geez.

Didn't Keith and Ron play Sure The One You Need at some gigs in 1975 instead of Happy?

Twice (Kansas City & Milwaukee)

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 7, 2011 02:28

StonesTod
dewlover

front row seats still available for Dirty Work Night

Brilliant!thumbs up

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 7, 2011 04:56

big flop without the war horses. no war horses at a club gig would be cool.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 7, 2011 18:41

(At least) the Belgium, Netherlands and German parts of the tour 2007 flopped although every usual warhorse was played. How many people come to a show also depends on if a region is "overplayed" or not, ticket prices among other aspects.

I still have to say: If they had played Dresden, Bremen (was rumoured), Erfurt (was rumoured) and Rostock - okay, 3 of them -, instead of Frankfurt, Dusseldorf and Hamburg, which cities are pretty close to the 2006 venues, then the stadiums would not have been half empty. Many mistakes have been made in 2007 (ticket sales were also poor in Brno etc.)

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: January 7, 2011 21:02

I dont' think so. It could be marketed as a deep cut/golden nugget tour...it would disinterest some people but there's a lot of people that would excited about it. I think the Stones sometimes underestimate how well their songs are known.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 7, 2011 21:39

I (we) have speculated on this before. I realize now I was a bit naive. We can't really expect anything but (stale versions of the) warhorses this time around. I can't see how they could manage anything else.

Date: January 7, 2011 22:12

Monsoon Ragoon
(At least) the Belgium, Netherlands and German parts of the tour 2007 flopped although every usual warhorse was played. How many people come to a show also depends on if a region is "overplayed" or not, ticket prices among other aspects.

I still have to say: If they had played Dresden, Bremen (was rumoured), Erfurt (was rumoured) and Rostock - okay, 3 of them -, instead of Frankfurt, Dusseldorf and Hamburg, which cities are pretty close to the 2006 venues, then the stadiums would not have been half empty. Many mistakes have been made in 2007 (ticket sales were also poor in Brno etc.)

Didnt exactly help either that after having played Germany in '06, they came back the following year, enforced an 'all seated shows' policy and proceeded to jacked the ticket prices up significantly to cash in on it.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 7, 2011 22:30

Gazza
Monsoon Ragoon

Didnt exactly help either that after having played Germany in '06, they came back the following year, enforced an 'all seated shows' policy and proceeded to jacked the ticket prices up significantly to cash in on it.

Yes, this is one of the "other aspects"; but just one out of many. Stones concert goers are not as old as my grandmother. But my main thesis is that the German tour failed because they played in the same regions as always. That same problem was the cause perhaps that the Chicago tickets in late '06 sold very poorly, but on the other hand the demand in Regina, Canada, was unexpectedly so high that they even to shift other concert dates to make space for an additional show in Regina.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 7, 2011 22:33

We never had any problems with half-seated arenas in Sweden. On the contrary, in many cases they (Stones) probably could have sold twice the amounts of tickets if they wanted to. It's a bit strange considering that Sweden primarily is a Springsteen-country (he plays here every other year. Always sold out.)

Date: January 7, 2011 22:34

Monsoon Ragoon
Gazza
Monsoon Ragoon

Yes, this is one of the "other aspects"; but just one out of many. Stones concert goers are not as old as my grandmother. But my main thesis is that the German tour failed because they played in the same regions as always. That same problem was the cause perhaps that the Chicago tickets in late '06 sold very poorly, but on the other hand the demand in Regina, Canada, was unexpectedly so high that they even to shift other concert dates to make space for an additional show in Regina.

This is true. Some markets were certainly over-saturated last time.

Posted by: murf3901 ()
Date: January 8, 2011 00:21

hello, long time stones fan, first time forum writer.

i love the warhorses they play ... but can't help wonder if acts like u2, springsteen can devote half their setlist to a new album or newer catalog and sell out to mass-stadium crowds, then why can't the stones play more lesser-known and/or newer songs?

i'm sure the answer i'll receive is "they will play what they want to play". that's fine. i'm not a huge u2 fan, but i do respect the fact that over half their play list is from the newer album and from their newer songs. and springsteen really surprised me playing whole albums at certain shows as well as playing a few songs from fan requests this past go-around.

i've seen 12 stones shows from 97-06 and they've played a lot of great hits and even some more rarities and i enjoyed every show to the utmost.

would be awesome to see them really change things up ... and if they do choose to just play the warhorse setlist every show, i'm sure that they'll sell out just fine as long as they don't over play one particular market such as five LA shows over two years.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home