Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie Watts at the Iridium with the ABC and D of Boogie Woogie (with pics)
Posted by: micwer ()
Date: July 3, 2012 00:44

I saw them at the 10 PM show -- I had a blast. Charlie was in a great mood and you could see that he was taking so much pleasure with these guys. I'll post some pictures later tonight.

Anyone else saw them? I haven't seen a thread yet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-03 03:33 by micwer.

Re: Charlie Watts at the Iridium with the ABC and D of Boogie Woogie
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 3, 2012 00:46

Rock on, Mr. Micwer!!!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 3, 2012 00:53

Looks like it's on you tube already.......

Is this the one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-03 01:17 by NICOS.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 3, 2012 01:12

micwer
I saw them at the 10 PM show -- I had a blast. Charlie was in a great mood and you could see that he was taking so much pleasure with these guys. I'll post some pictures later tonight.

The Sunday 10 PM show? I was there, too, and I also had a blast! Loved hearing "Route 66" and "Down The Road Apiece" in arrangements close to the originals. Top-notch musicianship and everybody on stage seemed to be having the most fun of all.

And, of course, just watching Charlie do his thing was absolutely fantastic.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: July 3, 2012 01:58

Thanks for posting that clip!

Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you........

Date: July 3, 2012 03:32

As promised, some pictures from the concert.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-03 17:46 by micwer.

Re: Charlie Watts at the Iridium with the ABC and D of Boogie Woogie (with pics)
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 3, 2012 05:58

Can't see anything

Re: Charlie Watts at the Iridium with the ABC and D of Boogie Woogie (with pics)
Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: July 3, 2012 14:44

micwer

Nice! it's good fellow Stoners have a release valve
and get their Joneses doing what they love best.

Charlie's always been a jazzer at heart, and it's great
that he's turning on ears to this genre.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: July 3, 2012 15:50

July 3, 2012, 12:34 am
Just Waiting on a Friend

By JAMES C. MCKINLEY JR.

Keith Richards showed up at the Iridium on Monday night to see Charlie Watts, his band mate in the Rolling Stones, play a set of jump blues and boogie woogie songs. There were rumors before the 8 p.m. set that Mr. Richards, the famed guitarist for the Stones, would sit in with Mr. Watts and his band, but it became clear halfway through the set that Mr. Richards was there only to provide moral support. He gave Mr. Watts a big hug as he came off stage.

Mr. Watts and his band, the ABC & D of Boogie Woogie, had just finished a four-night stand at the Iridium, a relatively small jazz room on Broadway, after playing one night at Lincoln Center's Midsummer Night Swing series. The band is led by the German pianist Alex Zwingenberger, but has a secondary pianist and vocalist, Ben Waters, a stalwart Englishman who literally lifted the piano with his legs when he got swinging to the beat. They were joined by the bassist Dave Green, who is a longtime friend of Mr. Watts, and the vocalist Lila Ammons, the granddaughter of the famed boogie-woogie player Albert Ammons.

It was an oldies set. Indeed it was a set of songs that would have been considered oldies back in the 1960s when Mr. Watts and Mr. Richards were young. The songs were all hot 12-bar blues tunes with a wicked walking bassline, drawing from R&B, jump blues, swing and early rock'n'roll. Mr. Watts and the band blazed through tunes like Ray Charles's hit "What'd I Say," Charles Calhoun's "Shake, Rattle and Roll" and W.C. Handy's "St. Louis Blues."

They rocked several blistering, obscure boogie-woogie tunes, and slowed down only once in a while for some lazy blues, often with a comic twist, like Mr. Waters's rendition of "Oreo Cookie Blues," which is about a man fighting his addiction to sugary snacks.

Mr. Watts, silver-haired, rail thin and fit at 71, seemed content and Zen-like behind the drums at center stage, where he used brushes, mallets and sticks to beat out the shuffle rhythms and swinging triplet-based figures of the musical era that preceded his own. Though he is most famous for his work with the Stones, Mr. Watts has always done jazz side projects, going back to the 1970s when he joined the back-to-basics boogie-woogie group Rocket 88. He started performing concerts with the ABC&D of Boogie Woogie three years ago, and in 2010 he recorded the album "The Magic of Boogie Woogie" as a trio with Mr. Zwingenberger and Mr. Green.

Date: July 3, 2012 17:47

Fixed the pictures. Can't believe I missed Keith yesterday!

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: July 3, 2012 18:07

Keith and his daughter were at the first set last night.Sitting as always with Jane Rose as Charlie left the stage Keith said a few words to him and gave him a big hug!
What a great show!

Date: July 3, 2012 23:17

njlstones815
Keith and his daughter were at the first set last night.Sitting as always with Jane Rose as Charlie left the stage Keith said a few words to him and gave him a big hug!
What a great show!

Did you see anyone taking pictures or video? I'd love to see them

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: July 5, 2012 15:44

Just got back to FL last night.

I was at the Sunday 8PM show & 10PM Monday show.

Missed Keith & "Uncle in Harlem" ...but had a great time. May had a good a time as Charlie!

Monday's show was more energized than Sunday. Nobody was taking pictures on Monday...but many were taking pics & video on Sunday. I was on standby line for Sunday...met some great folks from Buenos Aires & nice NY couple as well.
a good time had by all. Went with my brother on Monday. He is not necissarily the biggest Stones fan...but he really enjoyed it & Charlie is now is fav stone.

Surpirsed I have not heard more about the Iridium shows here...and noticed a lack of info on Ronnie's London show -Pics? Set list?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 5, 2012 16:13

micwer
As promised, some pictures from the concert.

Check it out: Simply changed "_m" in your links to "_C"....

Date: July 5, 2012 19:19

schillid

Check it out: Simply changed "_m" in your links to "_C"....

Thanks, that's much, much better!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 6, 2012 02:49

chrism13
...and noticed a lack of info on Ronnie's London show -Pics? Set list?

Look a bit more carefully, bro! It's all on here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home