Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
ABB or Some Girls
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 20, 2012 00:13

I thought it might be interesting if we conducted a simple poll, to gauge the popularity of two of the most recent Stones CD's, A Bigger Bang and the 12 unreleased tracks of Some Girls. Since there are 16 songs on ABB, just mentally eliminate 4 which are not your favorites. Then make this decision. If I only had money to buy the one CD but not the other, which one would I purchase. To jog your memory, here are the songs:

ABB: Rough Justice, Let Me Down Slow, It Won't Take Long, Rain Fall Down, Streets of Love, Back of My Hand, She Saw Me Coming, Biggest Mistake, This Place is Empty, Oh No, Not You Again, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh, I Nearly Died, Sweet Neo Con, Look What the Cat Dragged In, Driving Too Fast, Infamy (omit 4 songs)

Some Girls: Claudine, So Young, Do You Think I Really Care?, When You're Gone, No Spare Parts, Don't Be a Stranger, We Had It All, Tallahasee Lassie, I Love You Too much, Keep Up Blues, You Win Again, Petrol Blues

This poll could reveal nothing but it could be a barometer of what the typical Stones fan might want in a new CD (assuming there is one). Do we prefer, for instance, songs that remind us of the Stones in the seventies or do we want to see what is cooking in the minds of Jagger and Richards in 2012. I need to stop talking, as I could influence your opinion.

Re: ABB or Some Girls
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 20, 2012 00:22

That's like asking what would you rather eat - chocolate or arsenic.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: June 20, 2012 00:24

I would have to say the Some Girls bonus disk. That's not saying I did not enjoy ABB, but I enjoyed SG bonus a little more.

Date: June 20, 2012 00:25

flilflam
I thought it might be interesting if we conducted a simple poll, to gauge the popularity of two of the most recent Stones CD's, A Bigger Bang and the 12 unreleased tracks of Some Girls. Since there are 16 songs on ABB, just mentally eliminate 4 which are not your favorites. Then make this decision. If I only had money to buy the one CD but not the other, which one would I purchase. To jog your memory, here are the songs:

ABB: Rough Justice, Let Me Down Slow, It Won't Take Long, Rain Fall Down, Streets of Love, Back of My Hand, She Saw Me Coming, Biggest Mistake, This Place is Empty, Oh No, Not You Again, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh, I Nearly Died, Sweet Neo Con, Look What the Cat Dragged In, Driving Too Fast, Infamy (omit 4 songs)

Some Girls: Claudine, So Young, Do You Think I Really Care?, When You're Gone, No Spare Parts, Don't Be a Stranger, We Had It All, Tallahasee Lassie, I Love You Too much, Keep Up Blues, You Win Again, Petrol Blues

This poll could reveal nothing but it could be a barometer of what the typical Stones fan might want in a new CD (assuming there is one). Do we prefer, for instance, songs that remind us of the Stones in the seventies or do we want to see what is cooking in the minds of Jagger and Richards in 2012. I need to stop talking, as I could influence your opinion.

Not to beat up on ABB, but the Some Girls bonus tracks is the Stones album I have been dreaming for. If it were all new tracks it would have been a great album to retire on. I credit Don Was (thewasman) for steering them in the right direction.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 20, 2012 00:45

MightyStonesStillRollin50
I credit Don Was (thewasman) for steering them in the right direction.

...and for some bass and handclapping.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 20, 2012 00:47

flilflam

This poll could reveal nothing but it could be a barometer of what the typical Stones fan might want in a new CD (assuming there is one).

I vote for the original rhythm section, while they're both still alive and able to play.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 20, 2012 00:52

I would get the ABB CD. The Stones probably already have about 400 songs published, and most of us are already familiar with most of them, if not all of them. Many are covers of other artists.

I am curious about what an invigorated writing team of Jagger, Richards, and maybe Wood would come up with. If half of them are keepers and the rest throwaways, I would be very pleased. The recent article in RS magazine states that the Stones sounded very sharp and tight in rehearsal.

Not beating up on SG, but I thought way too many had a country and western feel. Not my cup of tea.

Where is your sense of adventure?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 20, 2012 00:54

SG bonusdisc.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 20, 2012 01:07

It's hard to compare two things that aren't playing on a level playing field. Some Girls was released when The Stones still got tons of radio airplay, the songs were played over and over again and they became classic rock staples and a part of pop culture. As is the case with other older rockers the new stuff doesn't get the same exposure. Although ABB was a worldwide number one hit, most people probably couldn't name one song off the album.

All this doesn't mean that ABB is actually better than Some Girls but because of the unlevel playing field the difference in quality between the two is exaggerated.

Posted by: thePenguin ()
Date: June 20, 2012 01:11

i would rather step in a pile of horse s*** than listen to either.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 20, 2012 02:39

thePenguin
i would rather step in a pile of horse s*** than listen to either.

Well don't allow the goings on here on this board to get in your way.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 20, 2012 02:44

spsimmons
I would have to say the Some Girls bonus disk. That's not saying I did not enjoy ABB, but I enjoyed SG bonus a little more.

thumbs up exactamondo............

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 20, 2012 02:46

jamesfdouglas
That's like asking what would you rather eat - chocolate or arsenic.

There certainly is a high degree of clarity in that statement, and I concur.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: June 20, 2012 02:47

Why ABBA of course! I love 'em! Why hasn't anyone else chosen ABBA?

Date: June 20, 2012 03:16

Denny
Why ABBA of course! I love 'em! Why hasn't anyone else chosen ABBA?

Does your mother know you dancing queen?

Date: June 20, 2012 03:20

flilflam
I would get the ABB CD. The Stones probably already have about 400 songs published, and most of us are already familiar with most of them, if not all of them. Many are covers of other artists.

I am curious about what an invigorated writing team of Jagger, Richards, and maybe Wood would come up with. If half of them are keepers and the rest throwaways, I would be very pleased. The recent article in RS magazine states that the Stones sounded very sharp and tight in rehearsal.

Not beating up on SG, but I thought way too many had a country and western feel. Not my cup of tea.

Agreed on that point. The songwriting is stronger on ABB and the SG bonus disc is mostly B-sides. I would love new songs with the original rhythm section, but that likely won't happen. Still, one must admit, Daryl's bass on Rain Fell Down has a smooth-rolling jazzy flair that Bill Wyman would not have been able to master on that track.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 20, 2012 04:05

Let's see, great tracks from one of their most enjoyable periods with the original rhythm section intact OR a boring late-career album containing stinkers like "Sweet Neo Con"? This contest is no contest.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: June 20, 2012 04:16

bigger bang.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 20, 2012 06:32

ABB Bonus Disc - we'll just have to wait 30 more years or so.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 20, 2012 07:08

stonesnow
flilflam

Agreed on that point. The songwriting is stronger on ABB and the SG bonus disc is mostly B-sides. I would love new songs with the original rhythm section, but that likely won't happen. Still, one must admit, Daryl's bass on Rain Fell Down has a smooth-rolling jazzy flair that Bill Wyman would not have been able to master on that track.

The songwriting is stronger on ABB than SG? Darryl's bass better than Bill's? You are living in an Alternate Stones Universe. One I would not care to live in.
Some Girls bonus tracks "album" wears much more nicely on my ears than the last three studio efforts this band has managed to crank out in the last 20 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-20 07:32 by 71Tele.

Date: June 20, 2012 07:55

71Tele
stonesnow
flilflam

The songwriting is stronger on ABB than SG? Darryl's bass better than Bill's? You are living in an Alternate Stones Universe. One I would not care to live in.
Some Girls bonus tracks "album" wears much more nicely on my ears than the last three studio efforts this band has managed to crank out in the last 20 years.

All I said was, Daryl [sorry if I'm spelling it with one 'R' but he's not a full member as yet] had a pretty slick and groovin' bass on Rain Fell Down, as Bill is primarily a rock and not jazz bass player.

Alright, Mr. Casey Kasem of the [Younger] Alternate Stones Universe--any hits on the Some Girls bonus disc as opposed to Bigger Gang? Let's assume both were released in 1980--and "Keep your feet in the ground, and keep reaching for your ass!"

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 20, 2012 16:19

ABB by far.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 20, 2012 16:28

ABB is a monument in the anals of recorded music...a testimony to what's achievable in modern rock'n'roll with the right amount of dedication, perserverence and resolve.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: June 20, 2012 16:44

StonesTod
ABB is a monument in the anals of recorded music...a testimony to what's achievable in modern rock'n'roll with the right amount of dedication, perserverence and resolve.

LOL

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 20, 2012 17:07

StonesTod

Got to put in a LOL there too. This is the best rock and roll joke of the year. You should post it in that thread too, Tod. grinning smileygrinning smiley>grinning smiley<

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: June 20, 2012 17:12

What's interesting here is that no one publicly responded to the OP's original concept, which was to eliminate 4 tracks from ABB before making the comparison. Granted he asked for that to be done "mentally" but I think it'd be interesting.
I think Sweet Neo Con and Streets of Love are the easiest to never have to hear again; after that it's trickier, but I'd heave-ho let Me down Easy and Biggest Mistake.

All that said, if I could only get one...hmmm, good question. I think I'd have to go wtih ABB because I do like to see how a band progresses, and ABB is in my view a pretty solid album. But it's not an easy choice, that's for sure.

And the re-release has Claudine. How about ABB and Claudine on the side? Good? Too wimpy?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 20, 2012 17:37

Are you talking about the ABB with Duane or Derek Trucks? Dickey Betts? Warren Haynes? So many variables.

However, I do dig the SG bonus disc. All country, blues & rockabilly. I would love to see a new album in that mode. Drop all the attempts at being trendy or re-writing Brown Sugar. More "Back Of My Hand" than "Oh No Not You Again".

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 20, 2012 17:50

There no way in hell ABB is even considerable as a Stones record. It's nothing. Worse than anything about nothing.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 20, 2012 19:04

71Tele
Let's see, great tracks from one of their most enjoyable periods with the original rhythm section intact OR a boring late-career album containing stinkers like "Sweet Neo Con"? This contest is no contest.

Eeeeeeeeeeeexactly.
smileys with beer

A bigger Bang is a garbage album I've listened to maybe three times in total.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: June 20, 2012 19:16

StonesTod

that quote really could have used the '...or something' suffix.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1270
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home