Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Could Use Stone's Fans Help - Please - Thank You!
Posted by: SomeGirlsXXX ()
Date: April 6, 2012 22:04

As someone who has listened to the Rolling Stones, almost exclusively, for 15 years, I'm reaching out to other Stones fans. I'm making original music under Burn All the Liars. Without any promotion BATL has gone to #6 on the RN Seattle Rock Charts - Hopefully the music speaks for itself. This number came out when I recorded yesterday, it unintentionally has an early 70's Stones flair. Almost a Star Star influence coming through in parts, thought some of you might like it.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 15:21 by SomeGirlsXXX.

Re: Could Use Stone's Fans Help - Please - Thank You!
Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: April 6, 2012 22:09

Pretty sloppy, but I appreciate the vibe.

Date: April 6, 2012 22:17

Hey, I appreciate the feedback, and thank you very much for taking the time to listen. The cool thing about music is that people have different taste - and opinions. Especially hearing something for the first few plays. The stuff is getting airplay, and is #6 on the Rock Charts, for whatever that's worth. I do take stock in the unsolicited comments on the ReverbNation site, so I will carry on.

It sure as hell isn't the Stones, but it's the start of a band that is going to try and create some good Rock-n-Roll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 15:19 by SomeGirlsXXX.

Date: April 6, 2012 22:30

Oh, also going into the Studio with a good producer in July for mixing and mastering. Should have some real quality stuff after that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 04:29 by SomeGirlsXXX.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 6, 2012 22:33

SomeGirlsXXX
...Who's driving influence is the Rolling Stones.

Maybe on a couple of early songs only...the two greatest rock bands ever!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: April 6, 2012 22:48

I'm going to give you a big thumbs up. These sound like "demos" with real potential. The best parts to me are your songwriting and lyrics. You definitely have potential or actual real talent in that respect. That being said I don't think the songs are quite finished yet but a few tweeks and additions here and there and you'd really have something. A good producer could make these really Pop. Sound-wise I'm thinking a Ramones type of production or a Phil Spector "wall of sound" type of thing. A "fatter" sound will do wonders. Your voice is, obviously, not the best in the world but I think it's good enough and your passion and feeling definitely comes through. I like that. Your simple guitar work is actually endearing and the solo bits are nicely original. Post some more stuff. I'd like to hear your "range" of song-writing just to know that you can write slower stuff. You still need some better "hooks" in your songs but that's always the hardest part. Study up on how to write a simple 3 part pop song. I actually prefer the 2nd song there ( "Just Say You Hate It" ) but be careful as it sounds suspiciously like Mott The Hooples "Once Bitten Twice Shy" but without Mott's awsome hook. Listen to that and you'll hear what I'm talking about. For now I'd say you sound like the early Ramones crossed with Mott The Hoople. And that ain't bad! Keep in touch smiling smiley

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 6, 2012 23:33

This sounds like a fun experiment that you enjoy doing. Good for you!
Is this the first time you've tried something like this? Is this a hobby or are you actually looking into a professional career in music? What are your hopes to get out of this?

I'm also on reverbnation [www.reverbnation.com]. And like you, The Powergoats started as a band heavily influenced by The Stones. Our first album (which we've since discontinued) was very much us taking a stab at things. We since clued in to how things worked and changed dramatically. The more we learned, the more we realized how much we had to 'step things up' to deserve and enjoy commercial radio play. Don't be too derivitive, take care in your writing. If you can detach yourself from your work and ask "would someone be able to sing along with this?", and your answer is no - take it off your site, yesterday.

Learn all you can. Take criticism and learn from it. There's a LOT of bands out there - most of them don't really know what they want or what they're doing. But even the ones that do 'get it' - it's still a very crowded market out there. Being "good enough"... just isn't good enough anymore. If you understand that the music business is a 'business first', you're ahead of a good 60 percent of them. But even still, for people to give you the time of day, you have to put your very best product forward - and only your best - everytime.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-06 23:37 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 7, 2012 00:40

Well as much as I like to listen to new bands and up and coming music this bord is really NOT the place to be promoting your new group/music. Lots of us play in bands and have music projects on the go.

Go play a Stone's cover or something or wait till a thread comes up where you can induct you songs in an appropriate way. There is a thread call "What are you Listening to this very Moment". It's a good start.

The Stones aren't going to take you under their wings and help you make it. They likely don't read this board at all, and if so only shortly and briefly. You gotta pay your dues just like the rest of us. For instance JamesDouglas hasn't promoted his stuff until you just gave him the chance. Now I'm going to go listen to some of his stuff.

We'll have to wait for 71Tele to catch your act up there in the land of the gray and report back to us. That being said I'll have a listen....yikes...well, that was a rough ride on the ears. Maybe you'd better find an death metal fan board, I think you'd get better feedback.

Also it really doesn't matter how good your music is, the record industry these days is all about image, kiddy rock and dinosaurs who have a huge back catalog to re-release. . Maybe you should give a go at American Idol? Good Luck peace

Date: April 7, 2012 01:18

Don't listen to Naturalist. He couldn't write a 3 minute pop song if his life depended on it. Methinks he's just a tad jealous.

jamesfdouglas is right though. Take GREAT care and time in readying your first work for public listening or submittal to record companies as first impressions are very important. You may never get a second chance. My policy is that The Song is everything and all else is secondary. Approach EVERY record as if it will be the last mark you will leave on the world. Each effort should be a long, meticulous labor of love and as perfect and (as jamesfdouglas said) as listenable and infectuous as possible.

Date: April 7, 2012 02:14

Thanks for that wonderful introduction Duane, what boat did you flop off of or did you come up from the depths of that stink they call the Gulf of Mexico when they dredged it for oil slop? Get a clue. This is a Stones site, your praise and insight into Pop music is only shadowed by your ignorance of what I am on the earth for. I think maybe the backstreet boys is looking for another manager, maybe you could apply?

I obviously listened to the tune (couldn't get past the first one) and I'm sure I'm pretty much on the mark for the majority of the people here. I have my gig, don't need to be jealouse of anyone making that kind of noise, really.

Here is a 3 minute pop song of mine I hope it chokes you up appropriately. Your words of advice are about as canned and disingenuous as it gets. "take great care, make everything perfect" , that is really a laugh unless you are Millie Vanilli, or Def Lepard with Mutt Lange producing you and making your power chord out of sampled individual strings on a guitar tuned by a professional.

This tune is nothing you say is necessary, it was written and recorded in about 30 minutes, for fun (not like it's the last thing I will do on the earth, certainly not long and meticulous). "You may never get a second chance" you say, what a load of bullocks. The Stones were turned down by EMI as you may recall, I guess they got a second chance. Most people who make submissions to record companies try over and over and over. THEN they finally get through. Not my approach but your advice is somewhat misinformed. This was recorded into a $19 dollar soundcard with a big smile.

And Duane, I really don't care if you like the tune or not, I've got a couple hundred more 3 minute pop songs that I'm sure your daughter would like just fine. peace

Date: April 7, 2012 03:06

Hey, Settle down there big fella. I was just being sarcastic. All I'm saying is this thread was all happy and shiny and we were just diggin' some tunes and talking music and havin fun till mommy came in and told us to keep it down. Sheeeeesh!

I'm not lookin for a fight. But the boy's got the boogie woogie in him and it's gotta come out. Your clip is very sweet and I see/hear your obvious talent (even if it is only a 1 part song) but it's not really my cup of tea. And thats fine (different strokes for different folks) but just for my education feel free to post your best rock/pop song and I promise you I'll really dig it.

Our boy here has posted SEVERAL more demos on that link. Check out "Seattle Sex Drug". I think with a little tweeking and good production that song could be really good. It might be the single, I don't know.

Peace, out ")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 03:08 by Duane in Houston.

Date: April 7, 2012 03:13

Hey Duane, I really appreciate your clearly well thought out comments! Thanks! You're right on about needing to Pop. A full band and professional mixing and mastering are certainly going to change the sound of things this summer.

I forget the other guys name, but I do think it's funny when someone posts something like this, the attacks you get for this NOT being the right place. (Oh, I wrote a song in my room that reminds me a little of my favorite band, so I shared it with other fans.) Did I say I posted this to have the Stones listen to it and take it under their wings? Not sure where the hell that came from.

Anyway, if you want to listen, thanks. If not don't. I'm just making this for fun, and not attempting to make any money. Next time I post, I'll check with the IORR FORUM POLICE to make sure that I don't offend anyone by starting my own thread.

Date: April 7, 2012 03:57

Ok Duane no problem, and xxxSG...please note that I didn't make any attacks. It's called a defense when someone asserts something directly against you. My words to xxx probably have as much thought and merit to them as yours, Duane, just because I didn't like the music or the delivery it is taken as a threat??

The reason I wrote what I did btw is because if this board were about self-promotion, it would have thousands of folks trying to promote their music or their books or their interviews with Rock Stars, whatever. We already have people who are using the board to try to immortalize themselves instead of the Rolling Stones. People who have realized the wonderfulness of the board as a publishing tool and suddenly became "devoted" Rolling Stones fans.

As far as "Did I say I posted this to have the Stones listen to it?" , well um, yes you did . ".. "this music to continue, and ...() becomes something that the Stones would approve of." I would think they would have to have a listen to approve of it. That's where it came from. And if you are not trying to make money, why link us to a site to BUY your songs?

But hey no hard feelings XXX, take whatever advice you want. I am happy for you to get some recognition in your home town. Keep up the work and never look back. I'll take Duane's suggestion and listen to Seattle Sex Drug.

Duane, my best Rock/Pop song is still waiting to be penned but like I said I've got hundereds. Most of them are harder edged than the one I posted above. But in the interest of keeping on topic and not self serving I will wait for another opportunity to post it them. Check you inbox though. smiling smiley peace

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 04:48 by Naturalust.

Date: April 7, 2012 06:13

SomeGirlsXXX
Oh, also going into the Studio with a good producer in July for mixing and mastering. Should have some real quality stuff after that...

SG, The producer can actually help you with the content too. They are mostly best utilized in the tracking session in the studio. That's what you are paying them for.

Don't expect a miracle with the mixing and mastering sessions. Monkeys will a bit of training can do that kind of engineering (nothing against audio engineers). My advice is to let the producer produce too, then you may be onto something. peace

Date: April 7, 2012 06:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-07 06:46 by SomeGirlsXXX.

Date: April 8, 2012 20:55

Thank you for all the feedback & for taking the time to listen! Kinda embarrassed to be Stones fan side by side with a couple of you, but it's Only Rock-n-Roll!

Date: April 12, 2012 20:22

From Yesterday -- Here's a new one to try on for those who wanted it.
"Shake-it-Shake-it-Baby!"
[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: May 24, 2012 02:47

Hello Fellow Stones Fans -- I received some requests to post these, so I'm posting this for those who like it. I'm surprised I hadn't seen being Mick yet, but just finished that recently, well worth the time to watch. Can't wait to see the Stones as soon as possible, but I'm making my own to hold me over in the meantime. All the best to you true Stones Fans... Hope to meet up with some of you at a pre-post show party at one of the west coast gigs.

"Angel Sings the Blues"
[www.reverbnation.com]

"Won't Let Me In"
[www.reverbnation.com]

"China Town"
[www.reverbnation.com]

"Just Say Ya Hate It"
[www.reverbnation.com]

"Wasted Little Waitress"
[www.reverbnation.com]

"Out Havin Fun"
[www.reverbnation.com]

"Little Pearls"
[www.reverbnation.com]

"Shake-It-Shake-It-Baby"
[www.reverbnation.com]

Enjoy if you want - Music by a Stones fan for Stones fans. No promotion or Money being made - Period. If you're going to be a dick about "why did you post your song, on this post" - try not opening it, instead of taking the time to write a nasty note -- STP 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: May 24, 2012 12:50

I like the sound a lot SG XXX. When you go in w./ a producer it could go two ways: either he wants to clean you up, and everything that goes with that. (is almost it's own thread), or he basically harnesses what you got and gets it out there as powerful as possible.
as you know there are many successful acts who don't give a damn, and do what feels right. I love your sound, and I really like the lead vocalist. reminds me of the guy of the Novaks; one of my fave bands.
What I personally think is that your lyrics could go a bit beyond the initial steam of consciousness level. Musically there is nothing that bothers me more than bad timing - but that is all just IMO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1125
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home