Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: On "Thick As A Brick 2", 50-year-old Gerald Bostock ponders what might have been
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 3, 2012 04:17

JETHRO TULL'S IAN ANDERSON IS THROWING ANOTHER "BRICK"

2/2/2012

Ian Anderson is ready to get "Thick" again. The Jethro Tull frontman has announced the April 3 release of "Thick As a Brick 2," a sequel to the group's legendary 1972 concept album, which spread a single piece of music over two album sides. The new album -- billed to Anderson rather than the band -- will look at "Thick" protagonist Gerald Bostock, now aged 50, and the turns his life might have taken since the end of the original album. In a statement, Anderson says that, "As we baby-boomers look back on our lives, we must often feel an occasional 'what-if' moment. Might we, like Gerald, have become instead preacher, soldier, down-and-out, shopkeeper or finance tycoon? And those of more tender years -- the social media and internet generation -- may choose to ponder the myraid chance possibilities ahead of them at every turn..." Anderson and his solo band begin a world tour on April 18 in Liverpool, England, with North American dates to be announced later. The group will perform both "Thick" albums in their entirety.

Re: OT: On "Thick As A Brick 2", 50-year-old Gerald Bostock ponders what might have been
Date: February 3, 2012 04:18

Re: OT: On "Thick As A Brick 2", 50-year-old Gerald Bostock ponders what might have been
Date: February 3, 2012 04:25

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 3, 2012 05:51

I dunno bout all that tatters but I sure love the tune Thick as a Brick, really nice acoustic guitar work and one that I keep alive in my set most nights. Tull did a record called "Songs from the Wood" that really gave me my first taste of that keltic kind of nature music with a hip rock twist. That record and that tune were a big part of my 15th year on this rock.
Light drugs and older hippie chicks were involved..... peace

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: February 3, 2012 05:51

Don't know about the album, but the tour will not include long-time Tull guitarist Martin Barre.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 3, 2012 06:28

Guess I'll wait 'til fick as a brick 3.0 comes down.

Date: February 3, 2012 06:35

MrHappy
Don't know about the album, but the tour will not include long-time Tull guitarist Martin Barre.

thats because its a solo tour for anderson. he has stated jethro tull is not over and he will work again with martin and doane perry

Date: February 3, 2012 20:28

Cool I'm all for an Anderson solo tour. He is the magic in that band for me and Mr. Barre never did much for me in the original Tull line up. I hope he plays the crap out of his beautiful acoustic guitar collection.

I doubt he'll be dressing in tights and dancing around like a minstral on meth per his earlier Tull shows. I'll bet he has found a way for his stage performance to mature a bit and grow up , make the music the center of attention. I like the way he involves his connection with nature in his music, he is quite an eccentric and interesting man. C'mon Ian! San Francisco is waiting. SweetCharmedLife are you going to try to make it if and when he hits our City by the Bay? peace

Date: February 4, 2012 01:01

I've seen Tull about six times and I've seen Anderson solo a couple times as well. Tull is better, just because the absence of Martin's guitar creates a huge void that Ian doesn't really even bother trying to fill. I'll definitely try and catch this tour, though. I love TAAB. Or at least, I did when I was seventeen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-04 03:08 by tatters.

Posted by: koolarrow2002 ()
Date: May 14, 2012 05:40

When the album was released I was in Florida on vacation visiting my sister (I am from Texas) and she had an elderly lady as a friend, and as soon as my sister's friend saw me she said " Come into my son's room and I will play the record album that is on the turntable for you and you can flip it and enjoy", her son was working in construction, I will never ever forget that. A few weeks later I went to San Antonio, Texas and saw the concert. I listen to it every now and then non-stop.

Date: May 14, 2012 05:48

"Not sure who I am. Life is so hard. I could have been anything. What about you? Banker? Soldier? Priest? Down and out? Or just an ordinary man?"
--Gerald Bostock (2012)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-14 05:53 by tatters.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 14, 2012 13:30

I love this album: I like Jethro Tull, but TAAB 2 is the best thing I've heard from Ian Anderson in a long, long while.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 14, 2012 13:41

Naturalust
Cool I'm all for an Anderson solo tour. He is the magic in that band for me and Mr. Barre never did much for me in the original Tull line up.

Barre wasn't part of the original Jethro Tull line up. smiling smiley

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 14, 2012 14:06

I saw the TAAB 1 & 2 performance in London at the end of April. It was pretty good, but as I had never seen Tull or IA before, I would have preferred to have experienced Tull playing their more well known tunes.

The TAAB performace consisted of the band and a large screen with various projected images and montages throughout the show. There was also a younger chap who did about 50% of the singing. As Ian gets older his voice isn't quite what is was, but the added singer added to the performance as he also mimed certain roles and stories in the songs and gave the show a theatrical edge. He also sounded a lot like the younger Ian.

The main TAAB theme (that starts the album) is the catchy bit of course and the part the audience liked the most. I'd have been happier to have seen Tull play all the hits and I'm sure the audience would have also (like Living In The Past, Bourée, etc). Anyway I'm glad I went.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-14 14:10 by WeLoveYou.

Date: May 14, 2012 14:40

Date: May 14, 2012 14:57

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: May 14, 2012 18:42

Here is the recent live performances of both :

[bigozine2.com]

Date: May 14, 2012 20:40

Duane in Houston you are da man! Thanks for that link, sweet! peace

Date: May 15, 2012 13:16

Date: May 15, 2012 13:19

Date: May 15, 2012 13:24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home