Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A Producers Epiphany: Jim Dickinson on Working with the Rolling Stones,
Posted by: Lien ()
Date: April 23, 2012 14:15

Legendary record producer Jim Dickinson shares his experiences working with the Rolling Stones during a secret recording session in Muscle Shoals in 1969. in particular how he came to play keyboards on their single, “Wild Horses.”
Jim Dickinson (November 15, 1941 - August 15, 2009)

Re: A Producers Epiphany: Jim Dickinson on Working with the Rolling Stones,
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 23, 2012 14:36

Very, very cool piece of history! I recall reading somewhere that he never got paid for the session.

One thing I noticed: he tells us that Mick and Keith didn't travel together as far back as 1969, because they "hated each other". Aside from all the drama of Anita and Performance, I didn't realise that their rift went as far back as '69. How they managed to stay together for so many decades is amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-23 16:58 by Bliss.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 23, 2012 16:37

Great stuff

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 23, 2012 17:15

Great footage

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 23, 2012 17:17

Bliss
One thing I noticed: he tells us that Mick and Keith didn't travel together as far back as 1969, because they "hated each other". ...
How they managed to stay together for so many decades is amazing.

er ... how they managed it is that Dickinson (love & light to him)
was misremembering some bits and misinterpreting others

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-23 17:18 by with sssoul.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 23, 2012 20:17

great post - stories like this are just remarkable - to hear how the Stones cobbled classics together, processing the air and energy around them, getting it all done on no time, no sleep, etc- it just make one truly appreciate the raw power and almost imcomprehensible magic of this band -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-23 20:17 by hbwriter.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 23, 2012 21:00

with sssoul
Bliss
One thing I noticed: he tells us that Mick and Keith didn't travel together as far back as 1969, because they "hated each other". ...

Most notably about Brown Sugar -Jagger clearly had parts of the lyrics available during the MSG gigs, and the Skydog story is total bollocks...

Mathijs

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 23, 2012 23:02

with sssoul
Bliss

True, he did that a lot. His work with the Dixie Flyers was great, but Dickinson often made comments about his sessions that seemed like embellishments and meant to pop a few balloons. Just like Mick and Keith 'hated each other', according to Dickinson, the Muscle Shoals or Memphis guys 'hated each other'.
I think there was resentment on his part that he or the Flyers never got the level of fame other sessions guys did. That's always been my impression from his interviews. Memphis songwriter Dan Penn once said, 'I like the guy, but he's kind of negative'.

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: April 23, 2012 23:05

Travel with a group of guys long enough and they'll all act like they hate each other at the end of a trip, but if you piss one of them off watch out because the whole group will rally around one another and kick your ass. The same is true of the Rollin' Stones.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 23, 2012 23:09

>>Just like Mick and Keith 'hated each other', according to Dickinson, the Muscle Shoals or Memphis guys 'hated each other'.
I think there was resentment on his part that he or the Flyers never got the level of fame other sessions guys did. That's always been my impression from his interviews. Memphis songwriter Dan Penn once said, 'I like the guy, but he's kind of negative'.

Yes, there are certainly things in the video to support that...his repeated remarks about his career. And to add insult to injury, I am virtually certain I read that he was never paid by the RS...it may have been in Stanley's book, in fact.

And of course that Skydog thing is ridiculous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-23 23:24 by Bliss.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 24, 2012 06:04

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 24, 2012 10:51

steffiestones
[www.timeisonourside.com]

He states: 'if you listen to the lyrics he sings Skydog Slaver'.

But if you listen to each and every version known to us, studio and live, from 1969 to 2006, Jagger sings 'scarred old slaver'. Listen to Keith's 1972 version: scarred old slaver.

It is an utter bullshit story.

Mathijs

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: April 24, 2012 12:46

Mathijs
steffiestones
[www.timeisonourside.com]

He states: 'if you listen to the lyrics he sings Skydog Slaver'.

But if you listen to each and every version known to us, studio and live, from 1969 to 2006, Jagger sings 'scarred old slaver'. Listen to Keith's 1972 version: scarred old slaver.

It is an utter bullshit story.

Mathijs

I agree. It sounded like BS to me, too. So I went through the versions I have - I don't have Keith's- and he does not sing "Skydog". Watch the part about him telling the story of the lights and the couch and the last joint. He just wanted to be in the Stones orbit. Not problem there except he's tellin' some tall tails.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home