Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Which band is having their legacy exploited the most with countless re-releases, boxsets,etc?
Date: April 3, 2012 08:41

the thread title pretty much says it all. which band/artist has the most albums/cd's/boxsets/etc that you have to purchased to have everything thats been released? maybe someone can look more into but my guesses are elvis, janis joplin, SRV, hendrix, the doors or lynyrd skynyrd.

Re: OT: Which band is having their legacy exploited the most with countless re-releases, boxsets,etc?
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 3, 2012 08:46

The Who

Re: OT: Which band is having their legacy exploited the most with countless re-releases, boxsets,etc?
Date: April 3, 2012 08:52

Glam Descendant
The Who

forgot about them. i'm going to look into lynyrd skynyrd and janis joplin and see how many releases you have to own to have everything they've recorded

Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: April 3, 2012 09:05

Hendrix without s doubt. We all know there's a limited supply of great recordings in the vault, but Experience Hendrix's practice of trickling them out once or twice a year is shameful.

I'm not a fan, but U2 should be mentioned too. Like Oasis, they don't release half their shit so they can leverage fans into buying CD singles or EP's.

The folks over at Experience Hendrix are the main offenders for me though.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: April 3, 2012 09:31

elvis for sure, mainly because of this follow that dream label...

Date: April 3, 2012 09:47

Laughingsam
Hendrix without s doubt. We all know there's a limited supply of great recordings in the vault, but Experience Hendrix's practice of trickling them out once or twice a year is shameful.

I'm not a fan, but U2 should be mentioned too. Like Oasis, they don't release half their shit so they can leverage fans into buying CD singles or EP's.

The folks over at Experience Hendrix are the main offenders for me though.

what? cd singles and e.p.'s are nothing new. a lot of bands have b-sides. U2 and oasis don't have half as many compilations or expanded albums as most artists mentioned in this thread.

lets look at janis joplin for example and see what you have to purchase:
- JANIS (3 cd boxset)
- BOX OF PEARLS (5 cd boxset. includes expanded versions of all 4 joplin albums plus a 5 song E.P. of unreleased stuff)
- I GOT DEM OL KOZMIC BLUES AGAIN MAMA (woodstock edition. you now have the studio album 2 times just to get the woodstock disc)
-PEARL ( 2 cd legacy edition. you now have the studio album 2 times to get a live disc)
-PEARL SESSIONS (you now have the studio album 3 times to get a disc of unreleased alternate takes)
-LIVE AT WINTERLAND
- IN CONCERT (some of these tracks repeat with other live releases)
-LIVE AT CAROUSEL BALLROOM
- JANIS (1975 set)
-FAREWELL SONG
-THE LOST TAPES

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 3, 2012 10:36

Since they diggin' up new recordings all the time I think it's only intressting with earlier releases from vinyl-era, and I think it's pretty tough to get everything with for example The Rolling Stones....smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 3, 2012 12:43

On the one hand, you have record companies / rights holders trying to squeese every penny out of dead artists like Janis, Hendrix and the Doors. On the other hand you got (the same) record companies and some established artists trying to make money on a dying record market. That's why there are all these silly deluxe boxes of classic albums "enhanced" with books, original 7" sleeves, tour ticket replicas, scarves and ridiculous marbles.

I've always loved my cd booklets and vinyl sleeves, but it's getting a little silly.

In the end there is one simple cure: Bittorrent, Spotify and Youtube for the music and some good biographies for the reading.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 3, 2012 16:18

The Small Faces will be issuing a whole new series of deluxe editions in May. They appear to be similar to the deluxe editions of the first seven Kinks albums that came out last spring, followed by the largely redundant Kinks in Mono box set.

Bottom line: just about everyone who makes interesting music for major labels will see their catalog flogged eventually.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 3, 2012 16:26

From my non-fan point of view: The Doors.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 3, 2012 16:58

We are talking popular music here. I don't think a continued lagre interest in a band can destroy a legacy. On the contrary it enables a new generation of listeners to discover their music.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 3, 2012 17:23

Mozart

edit: oh wait, that's not a band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-03 17:32 by Koen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1282
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home