Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: traits of drummers?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 2, 2012 08:24

I was glancing at the Jim Gordon thread, and I noticed several people here are drummers!

This thread is just for fun - kinda silly spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

What would you say are some personality traits of drummers? yourself, if you're a drummer--or drummers you know, or generally have observed about drummers, if you're not a drummer.

-swiss

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-02 08:47 by swiss.

Re: OT: traits of drummers?
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 2, 2012 10:20

They can usually carry a beat....

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 2, 2012 10:24

In a Queen documentary, someone described their drummer (Roger Taylor) as "a typical drummer; extroverted, fun-loving." Which would in no way describe Charlie Watts, but would Ringo Starr and Keith Moon. I don't know enough drummers to know if it's generally true, though.

Date: April 2, 2012 10:24

Some like to party.... A LOT!!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 2, 2012 10:53

Spinal Tap plowed through a few of 'em .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: varv ()
Date: April 2, 2012 13:14

They like to hang out with musicians.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 2, 2012 15:02

They are the consummate showmen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-02 15:03 by tatters.

Date: April 2, 2012 15:56

They are stern taskmasters.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 2, 2012 16:35

Dunno.
I never felt being a typical drummer . .

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: April 2, 2012 16:39

Drummers

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Date: April 2, 2012 22:52

They dont wanna work... they just...

Date: April 3, 2012 00:11

These are great responses - thanks!

Do you think drummers tend to be controlling when they're not playing? that they believe things do, or should, fall within consistent predictable rhythms, and/or get upset when they don't? An intolerance for chaos?

What about marching to the beat of their own drummer, sort of being in their own world, in terns of interacting with other people, even if they're gregarious?

How much does Keith's quote about Charlie ring true to you about drummers? (source)

Charlie is incredibly honest, brutally honest. Lying bores him. He just sees right through you to start with. And he's not even that interested in knowing, he just does. That's Charlie Watts. He just knows you immediately. If he likes you, he'll tell you things, give you things, and you'll leave feeling like you've been talking to Jesus Christ. They say he's a dying breed, but with people like Charlie, they must always have been rare. Genuinely eccentric in the sense of having his own way of doing things. Just to put it on a very physical plane: At the end of the show, he'll leave the stage, and the sirens will be going, limousines waiting, and Charlie will walk back to his drumkit and change the position of his drumsticks by 2 millimeters. Then he'll look at it. Then if it looks good, he'll leave. He has this preoccupation with aesthetics, this vision of how things should be that nobody will ever know about except Charlie. The drums are about to be stripped down and put in the back of a truck, and he CANNOT leave if he's got it in his mind that he's left his sticks in a displeasing way. It's so Zen. So you see what I mean about who the hell can I possibly play with after this guy with such a sense of space and touch. The only word I can use for Charlie is deep.

or this from Keith (same source)

Charlie is a great English eccentric. I mean, how else can you describe a guy who buys a 1936 Alfa Romeo just to look at the dashboard? Can't drive - just sits there and looks at it. He's an original, and he happens to be one of the best drummers in the world. Without a drummer as sharp as Charlie, playing would be a drag. He's very quiet - but persuasive. It's very rare that Charlie offers an opinion. If he does, you listen. Mick and I fall back on Charlie more than would be apparent. Many times, if there's something between Mick and I, it's Charlie I've got to talk to. It could be as simple as whether to play a certain song. Or I'll say, Charlie, should I go to Mick's room and hang him? And he'll say no (laughs). His opinion counts.

CousinC
Dunno.

I didn't ask about "typical" drummers. I asked about personality traits of drummers. smiling smiley

-swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-03 00:20 by swiss.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 3, 2012 00:15

OCD

Date: April 3, 2012 00:22

BluzDude
OCD

BluzDude...yeah, I've wondered about that. And even, maybe slight Aspergers, for some?

-swiss

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 3, 2012 00:25

swiss
BluzDude
OCD

BluzDude...yeah, I've wondered about that. And even, maybe slight Aspergers, for some?

-swiss

That discribes my son, I am really surprised that he did not take up the drums.

Date: April 3, 2012 00:33

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 3, 2012 00:43

Can they be anatomized? I'll add that when Matt Lauer interviewed Charlie, he mentioned to Charlie that Charlie was keeping his hands under his thighs. Charlie said, "I'd nervously touch my face otherwise. Drummers do that kind of thing. So my wife told me to sit on my hands."

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 3, 2012 00:48

swiss
[quote=CousinC

Dunno.

I didn't ask about "typical" drummers. I asked about personality traits of drummers. smiling smiley

-swiss[/quote]

Yeah, I know. But I don't think they have diff. traits than bassplayers, singers or bricklayers.
There is really only one thing important for a drummer: where is the "1" . .? lol

Date: April 3, 2012 01:01

Title5Take1
Can they be anatomized? I'll add that when Matt Lauer interviewed Charlie, he mentioned to Charlie that Charlie was keeping his hands under his thighs. Charlie said, "I'd nervously touch my face otherwise. Drummers do that kind of thing. So my wife told me to sit on my hands."

awwww - God bless Charlie Watts!

Date: April 3, 2012 01:04

CousinC
swiss
[quote=CousinC

Dunno.

-swiss

Yeah, I know. But I don't think they have diff. traits than bassplayers, singers or bricklayers.
There is really only one thing important for a drummer: where is the "1" . .? lol[/quote]

Maybe so -- and that's an interesting observation. otoh, not everyone is drawn to the drums, not everyone can play the drums, and most importantly, not everyone can think like a drummer. Tho a master brickmason and a drummer may have more personality traits/tendencies in common than a drummer and a lead guitarist--just thinking in terms of "seeing" patterns, shapes, how things can fit most elegantly or interestingly within a space.

Just musing...
-swiss

Date: April 3, 2012 01:07

Title5Take1
In a Queen documentary, someone described their drummer (Roger Taylor) as "a typical drummer; extroverted, fun-loving." Which would in no way describe Charlie Watts, but would Ringo Starr and Keith Moon. I don't know enough drummers to know if it's generally true, though.

Title5Take1, totally. I'm think the "typical drummer" persona --for rock n roll anyway-- would be "extroverted, fun-loving." But as you say, then there's Charlie...and many other exceptions. smiling smiley
-swiss

Date: April 3, 2012 01:08

Rockman
Spinal Tap plowed through a few of 'em .........

ha ha! grinning smiley

> POOF! <

Date: April 3, 2012 01:09

varv
They like to hang out with musicians.

aw, you! tongue sticking out smiley

Date: April 3, 2012 01:10

tatters
They are the consummate showmen.

tatters
They are stern taskmasters.

Good ones! grinning smiley

Date: April 3, 2012 01:10

marvpeck
Drummers

too funny winking smiley

Date: April 3, 2012 01:11

BluzDude
swiss
BluzDude
OCD

-swiss

That discribes my son, I am really surprised that he did not take up the drums.

BluzDude - does he play any instrument?
-swiss

Date: April 3, 2012 01:12

Max'sKansasCity

awesome - am enjoying your contributions, Max'sKansasCity!
-swiss

Date: April 3, 2012 01:19

They pass on what they know.

Date: April 3, 2012 01:30

swiss
awesome - am enjoying your contributions, Max'sKansasCity!
-swiss
I'm happy to add to the fun grinning smiley

Best drum solo of all time?
I am going have to go with In-a-gadda-da-vida
Mainly cuz it was my first, and one never forgets one's first

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-03 01:31 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 3, 2012 01:45

tatters
They pass on what they know.

tatters,
Beautiful video!! thanks for posting - and many drummers do seem conscientious about passing it along, sharing what they know. Great point.
-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-03 01:45 by swiss.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home