Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

PETER FRAMPTON - JUMPING JACK FLASH
Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: March 23, 2012 22:49

Re: PETER FRAMPTON - JUMPING JACK FLASH
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:09

Not really my cup of tea, but I did like the Jagger/Frampton team though...

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:13

Frampton Comes Alive! Such a great record, is there anybody out there who doesn't have a copy of that album?

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: March 24, 2012 01:58

One of the all time great covers - because it's completely different but works wonderfully and is pretty potent and powerful. Never understood how and why so many successful cover versions are virtual carbon copies of the originals (think Guns & Roses with Live & Let Die or their version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door). I hear their versions on the radio but never the originals. Yet Wings Over America's live version of Live & Let Die is so superior and is the "original". Don't get it. If you're gonna do a cover, individualize it - think of Hendrix' All Along The Watchtower, Cockers "With A Little Help From My Friends", The Stones "Love In Vain" and yes Framptons Jumping Jack Flash

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 24, 2012 02:50

DiscoVolante
Frampton Comes Alive! Such a great record, is there anybody out there who doesn't have a copy of that album?
Per Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)...It was standard issue if you lived in the suburbs.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 24, 2012 04:18

kammpberg
One of the all time great covers - because it's completely different but works wonderfully and is pretty potent and powerful. Never understood how and why so many successful cover versions are virtual carbon copies of the originals (think Guns & Roses with Live & Let Die or their version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door). I hear their versions on the radio but never the originals. Yet Wings Over America's live version of Live & Let Die is so superior and is the "original". Don't get it. If you're gonna do a cover, individualize it - think of Hendrix' All Along The Watchtower, Cockers "With A Little Help From My Friends", The Stones "Love In Vain" and yes Framptons Jumping Jack Flash

The worst example might be that ego maniac Phil Collins recording and releasing "You Can't Hurry Love" as a single. It's hard to forget his big fat face plastered on his first big solo record. But then again, when I suppose his writing skills had diminished - wtf does Sussudio mean? Not that I want to know.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 24, 2012 04:53

memphiscats
DiscoVolante
Per Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)...It was standard issue if you lived in the suburbs.

Yes...here in Southern California during Jr. High, we used to smoke dozens of bong hits of cheap weed ala Spicoli,
trying to figure out how he was making his guitar talk on I Want You To Show Me The Way and Do You Feel (Like We Do).
Didn't know it was a talk-box at the time, but it was fun being stoned while listening to it.

Jeff Spicoli- "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine".

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 24, 2012 06:49

Hairball
memphiscats
DiscoVolante

Yes...here in Southern California during Jr. High, we used to smoke dozens of bong hits of cheap weed ala Spicoli,
trying to figure out how he was making his guitar talk on I Want You To Show Me The Way and Do You Feel (Like We Do).
Didn't know it was a talk-box at the time, but it was fun being stoned while listening to it.

Excellent thoughts! What a beautiful buzz...smoking smiley

Posted by: howled ()
Date: March 24, 2012 07:11

Hairball
memphiscats
DiscoVolante

You hadn't heard Joe Walsh before Frampton?

I've never gone near Frampton's Comes Alive!, to me he was better in Humble Pie.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 24, 2012 07:19

kammpberg
Yes, Live And Let Die is a carbon copy. But Knockin' On Heaven's Door couldn't be more different. It takes that song and turns it completely upside down. And makes it even more amazing than that song already was. Its honestly one of my favorite GNR songs, despite it being a cover. Ranks as one of the best cover songs IMO.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: March 24, 2012 16:09

You're definitely right in comparing GnR's Knockin to Dylan's original studio version. I should've been more specific. GnR's cover is played still pretty "straight" and when comparing to later Dylan live versions - ex the version on Before The Flood with The Band from '74 - it's fairly comparable with a few effects thrown on. But point taken.... I'm sure McCartney's bank account is thrilled with their version of Live and Let Die, but boggles my mind that you'll never hear the Wings Over America version on the radio....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2012 16:19

RollingFreak
kammpberg
Yes, Live And Let Die is a carbon copy. But Knockin' On Heaven's Door couldn't be more different. It takes that song and turns it completely upside down. And makes it even more amazing than that song already was. Its honestly one of my favorite GNR songs, despite it being a cover. Ranks as one of the best cover songs IMO.

hey...hey...hey, hey yeah!

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: March 29, 2012 07:53

SweetThing

Not really my cup of tea, but I did like the Jagger/Frampton team though...

GREAT song from a very under-rated album IMHO. But then again, how could u ever top FCA???
-------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: March 29, 2012 16:35

Hate to thread-crap, but after wearing out the grooves in FCA, I eagerly awaited but was deeply disappointed with I'm in You. I also think the cover of JJF is the worst thing on FCA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-29 16:36 by Zack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home