Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT. New JANIS JOPLIN releases due in 2012
Date: February 19, 2012 18:07

looks like sony is issuing 2 new janis joplin releases this year. the first is another concert from 1968 due in march. the 2nd release is a 2 cd version of pearl titled the PEARL SESSIONS which includes a bunch of studio chatter and rough takes of most of the songs. go to her website and check out the info

Re: OT. New JANIS JOPLIN releases due in 2012
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 19, 2012 18:08

it's about time. she's been very inactive for waaaaay too long. and, gazza keeps asking me when she's going to put out something new for him to listen to...this should quiet him down...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-19 18:09 by StonesTod.

Date: February 19, 2012 18:22

StonesTod
it's about time. she's been very inactive for waaaaay too long. and, gazza keeps asking me when she's going to put out something new for him to listen to...this should quiet him down...

lol. the PEARL SESSIONS looks like it might be worth it. has a lot of studio chatter. the live album though i may pass on. they already released a 1968 joplin concert about 12 years ago

Date: February 19, 2012 18:28

keefriffhard4life
StonesTod

lol. the PEARL SESSIONS looks like it might be worth it. has a lot of studio chatter. the live album though i may pass on. they already released a 1968 joplin concert about 12 years ago

more than 12 years ago if it's the one i think you're talking about...bought it on vinyl pre-cd era....

there are some great jj boots in circulation that feature recordings dating back to her port arthur daze before moving out west. very cool stuff...sony should mine that territory.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 19, 2012 18:29

Whoopee! This is indeed long overdue. Likely due to contractual stuff. Damn lawyers. If you want THE VERY BEST Janis on VIDEO that I have ever seen you must get the DVD called Festival Express.

It is a great video of a bunch of musicians who took a train across Canada and played every little town they stopped in. Jerry Garcia, Janis, Rick Danko, the line up is insane. The film is great and shows alot of antics from the folks as they cross that big country and drain the liquor stores at every stop. A scene where Jerry tells Janis that he's in love with her, only to be blown off is worth the price of the DVD by itself. (I think Janis had it bad for Rick Danko on this journey).

The pearl to the whole thing (pun intended) is in the Extras part of the DVD. Performances filmed in placed like Winnepeg, Manitoba. Janis just rips it up. I was so amazed at her performances I was angry they hadn't been released earlier. She was on top of her game. Just fantastic. A must see for all Rock fans. peace

Date: February 19, 2012 19:12

StonesTod
keefriffhard4life
StonesTod

more than 12 years ago if it's the one i think you're talking about...bought it on vinyl pre-cd era....

there are some great jj boots in circulation that feature recordings dating back to her port arthur daze before moving out west. very cool stuff...sony should mine that territory.

it was WINTERLAND 1968 first released in 1998

Date: February 19, 2012 20:55

keefriffhard4life
StonesTod
keefriffhard4life
StonesTod

it was WINTERLAND 1968 first released in 1998

yeah...maybe i was thinking of some boot vinyls i got long b4 that....

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: February 19, 2012 21:23

I'm gonna stop for a second here and proffer this:

Too many have written since Whitney Houston's demise
that hers was a "wasted" life. I disagree. She got
more done out there than most of us hope to, whether
we act behind the scenes than performers do out front.
If you wanna argue that Joplin's was a wasted life,
then buddy, you have a better argument to discuss.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: February 20, 2012 01:40

[www.amazon.co.uk]

This came out a while back

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 20, 2012 08:17

Naturalust
Whoopee! This is indeed long overdue. Likely due to contractual stuff. Damn lawyers. If you want THE VERY BEST Janis on VIDEO that I have ever seen you must get the DVD called Festival Express.

It is a great video of a bunch of musicians who took a train across Canada and played every little town they stopped in. Jerry Garcia, Janis, Rick Danko, the line up is insane. The film is great and shows alot of antics from the folks as they cross that big country and drain the liquor stores at every stop. A scene where Jerry tells Janis that he's in love with her, only to be blown off is worth the price of the DVD by itself. (I think Janis had it bad for Rick Danko on this journey).

The pearl to the whole thing (pun intended) is in the Extras part of the DVD. Performances filmed in placed like Winnepeg, Manitoba. Janis just rips it up. I was so amazed at her performances I was angry they hadn't been released earlier. She was on top of her game. Just fantastic. A must see for all Rock fans. peace

+1

Festival Express was one of my first dates with my wife in 2004. She took an extra large purse to sneak a bottle of red wine, two glasses and a corkscrew into the theatre. Once the lights went down, we saw an excellent film and blissfully enjoyed our bottle of wine. Of course, we followed the campsite rule and took the empty bottle and all garbage with us.

Date: February 20, 2012 08:33

adotulipson
[www.amazon.co.uk]

don't know if anyone else agrees but the 3 disc bocset titled JANIS was much better than BOX OF PEARLS. BOX OF PEARLS only has 5 tracks not available on any other janis release while JANIS still has close to 10 songs not on any other janis release

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: February 20, 2012 11:56

I always loved the Joplin in Concert album released (I think) in the 1980s. I've had it on LP, tape and CD. I'm sure we're all familiar with it - has the best of the Big Brother & The Holding Co. and Full Tilt Boogie live performances.

Talking of the Pearl sessions I think the Deluxe edition with extra from a few years ago was pretty good.

I agree about the Festival Express live stuff, I think some of this was included in a film called Janis(?) in the 1980s. Amazing to see her live...to think she was off her trolly on booze and yet sung perfectly in tune and with such emotion.

Check out the Dick Cavett appearances on YouTube also, great stuff.

Date: February 20, 2012 13:06

WeLoveYou
I always loved the Joplin in Concert album released (I think) in the 1980s. I've had it on LP, tape and CD. I'm sure we're all familiar with it - has the best of the Big Brother & The Holding Co. and Full Tilt Boogie live performances.

Talking of the Pearl sessions I think the Deluxe edition with extra from a few years ago was pretty good.

I agree about the Festival Express live stuff, I think some of this was included in a film called Janis(?) in the 1980s. Amazing to see her live...to think she was off her trolly on booze and yet sung perfectly in tune and with such emotion.

you are talking about the 2 disc set where disc 2 was a live recording right?

honestly looks like this will be the 4th time i purchased PEARL once PEARL SESSIONS comes out. i had the original, the late remaster released sometime around 2000 and then the 2 disc deluxe version released in the mid 00's

Date: February 20, 2012 13:23

keefriffhard4life
WeLoveYou

honestly looks like this will be the 4th time i purchased PEARL once PEARL SESSIONS comes out. i had the original, the late remaster released sometime around 2000 and then the 2 disc deluxe version released in the mid 00's

Yes that's the one: "Pearl Deluxe"- Pearl & Pearl outtakes on cd 1 and live JJ/FTB on cd 2. I have to say the second disc was spoilt slightly due to the excessive reverb they added. I prefered the dryer mix of the Joplin live album (both albums have the same tracks eg Try, Ball & Chain etc).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 13:24 by WeLoveYou.

Date: February 20, 2012 13:27

WeLoveYou
keefriffhard4life
WeLoveYou

Yes that's the one: "Pearl Deluxe"- Pearl & Pearl outtakes on cd 1 and live JJ/FTB on cd 2. I have to say the second disc was spoilt slightly due to the excessive reverb they added. I prefered the dryer mix of the Joplin live album (both albums have the same tracks eg Try, Ball & Chain etc).

yeah that was good. have you seen the tracklisting of the new PEARL SESSIONS?

DISC ONE: The Pearl Album
‘Move Over’
‘Cry Baby’
‘A Woman Left Lonely’
‘Half Moon’
‘Buried Alive In The Blues’
‘My Baby’
‘Me and Bobby McGee’
‘Mercedes Benz’
‘Trust Me’
‘Get It While You Can’

Bonus Tracks – the Mono Single Masters
‘Me and Bobby McGee’
‘Half Moon’
‘Cry Baby’
‘Get It While You Can’
‘Move Over’
‘A Woman Left Lonely’

DISC TWO: The Pearl Sessions and more
‘Overheard in the Studio…’
‘Get It While You Can’ (take 3) previously unissued
‘Get It While You Can’ (take 5) – previously unissued
‘Move Over’ (take 6) – previously unissued
‘Move Over’ (take 13) – previously unissued
‘Move Over’ (take 17) – previously unissued
‘Me and Bobby McGee’ (demo version)
‘Me and Bobby McGee’ (take 5 – alternate) – previously unissued
‘Cry Baby’ (alternate version)
‘A Woman Left Lonely’ (alternate vocal)
‘My Baby’ (alternate take) – previously unissued
‘Get It While You Can’ (take 3) – previously unissued
‘My Baby’ (alternate take)
‘Pearl’ (instrumental) – Full Tilt Boogie Band

Bonus Tracks
‘Tell Mama’ (Live) – June 28, 1970 – Toronto

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 20, 2012 14:43

I have to say it again:

you don't have to buy these continual reissues.....Who am I kidding of course you have to buy them other you are breaking the collectors law.

But I have my JJ Greatest Hits and thats all I need......for now !!

Date: February 20, 2012 15:12

The GR
I have to say it again:

you don't have to buy these continual reissues.....Who am I kidding of course you have to buy them other you are breaking the collectors law.

But I have my JJ Greatest Hits and thats all I need......for now !!

the original greatest hits with like 11 tracks on it? if thats the one you have don't remember whats on it but if its missing "kozmic blues" and "maybe" you are missing 2 of joplin's best tunes

Date: February 20, 2012 15:16

May be one day.

Date: February 20, 2012 15:24

Oh and it's the one where they added the Mercedes Benz song because of the TV ad.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 20, 2012 15:25

I'm going to buy the Pearl set.

The Dan Penn "Woman Left Lonely" is a fantastic tune.

Date: February 20, 2012 15:35

The GR
Oh and it's the one where they added the Mercedes Benz song because of the TV ad.

cool i looked it up it has "maybe" on it as the other bonus track. go listen to that tune. if you like it "kozmic blues" is very similar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 15:35 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: February 20, 2012 15:36

Thanks for your recommendation.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 20, 2012 16:04

keefriffhard4life
adotulipson
[www.amazon.co.uk]

don't know if anyone else agrees but the 3 disc bocset titled JANIS was much better than BOX OF PEARLS. BOX OF PEARLS only has 5 tracks not available on any other janis release while JANIS still has close to 10 songs not on any other janis release

Perhaps. But if you have both BOX OF PEARLS and the boxset you already have everything worthwhile (to all but the most ardent completist) rendering the PEARL SESSIONS redundant and unnecessary.

Date: February 20, 2012 16:08

keefriffhard4life
WeLoveYou
keefriffhard4life
WeLoveYou

yeah that was good. have you seen the tracklisting of the new PEARL SESSIONS?

DISC ONE: The Pearl Album
‘Move Over’
‘Cry Baby’
‘A Woman Left Lonely’
‘Half Moon’
‘Buried Alive In The Blues’
‘My Baby’
‘Me and Bobby McGee’
‘Mercedes Benz’
‘Trust Me’
‘Get It While You Can’

Bonus Tracks – the Mono Single Masters
‘Me and Bobby McGee’
‘Half Moon’
‘Cry Baby’
‘Get It While You Can’
‘Move Over’
‘A Woman Left Lonely’

DISC TWO: The Pearl Sessions and more
‘Get It While You Can’ (take 3) previously unissued
‘Get It While You Can’ (take 5) – previously unissued
‘Move Over’ (take 6) – previously unissued
‘Move Over’ (take 13) – previously unissued
‘Move Over’ (take 17) – previously unissued
‘Me and Bobby McGee’ (demo version)
‘Me and Bobby McGee’ (take 5 – alternate) – previously unissued
‘Cry Baby’ (alternate version)
‘A Woman Left Lonely’ (alternate vocal)
‘My Baby’ (alternate take) – previously unissued
‘Get It While You Can’ (take 3) – previously unissued
‘My Baby’ (alternate take)
‘Pearl’ (instrumental) – Full Tilt Boogie Band

Bonus Tracks
‘Tell Mama’ (Live) – June 28, 1970 – Toronto

Interesting - thanks

Date: February 20, 2012 21:22

R
keefriffhard4life
adotulipson
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Perhaps. But if you have both BOX OF PEARLS and the boxset you already have everything worthwhile (to all but the most ardent completist) rendering the PEARL SESSIONS redundant and unnecessary.

some people want to hear her talking in the studio and want to hear every recorded not this lady sang

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 21, 2012 02:50

ab
Naturalust

+1

Festival Express was one of my first dates with my wife in 2004. She took an extra large purse to sneak a bottle of red wine, two glasses and a corkscrew into the theatre. Once the lights went down, we saw an excellent film and blissfully enjoyed our bottle of wine. Of course, we followed the campsite rule and took the empty bottle and all garbage with us.

Obviously your then to be wife never gave you the slight like Janis did to Jerry that day...lol Sounds like a GREAT way to see just about any film, I'm gonna try that out on my next date...I wonder why I didn't think of it sooner? Actually I'd probably pay the corkage fee to see films in a theater with this kind of atmosphere.

Sounds like you were in the right frame of mind and paralleling the musicians on board that happy train. It seemed to me like most those hippie band guys like Bob Weir and Jerry weren't that used to alcohol so they were loose geese the whole ride. The scene where they are all tripping and trying to finish a song with Rick Danko in the lead...that's piss your pants funny. Nice film. Love the Janis extras like a long lost sister. peace

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 21, 2012 06:40

I've already got Box of Pearls and the Legacy edition of Pearl. So I'll pass on the Pearl Sessions until I get some feedback.

I'm wary after purchasing the recent Doors reissue of LA Woman. The alternate takes on that one were just rough run-throughs. The buildup for the new unreleased song, She Smells So Nice, was pure hype. Morrison made up some words on the fly, and it was promoted as if it were THE GREAT LOST DOORS SONG.

Yeah, it's a different act on a different label. But I come by my skepticism honestly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1534
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home