Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Emmaretta Marks and Gimmie Shelter credit
Posted by: Dorje ()
Date: February 13, 2012 01:05

eye popping smileyNone, and No Money was paid to her for creating the part she sang not Merri Clay
ton Emmaretta Marks also sang with Jimi Hendrix , Ike and Tina Turner and Levon Helm and was in the Broadway cas t of hair when she met the Rolling Stones

Marks and Leary Rock Rhythm and Soul [www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 08:07 by Dorje.

Re: Emmaretta Marks and Gimmie Shelter credit
Date: February 13, 2012 01:15

Emmaretta Marks sang the female vocal on Gimmie Shelter and actually created the part, but the Stones never gave her credit or paid her in over 40 years, and the Merri Clayton sang over Emmaretta's parts in some places and not the intro or very high parts, go to utube and see

Date: February 13, 2012 01:23

You Tube Emmaretta Marks sings Gimmie Shelter

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 13, 2012 01:28

who cares

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 13, 2012 01:41

Not the first time the name Emmaretta Marks shows up.
Here is a thread from 2010 [www.iorr.org]

BTW Dorje, did you register only to open 2 threads with this breaking news ?
Are you a friend of Emmaretta ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 13, 2012 01:51

She sang the oooh's at the start and wants paid for that?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: February 13, 2012 01:56

His Majesty
She sang the oooh's at the start and wants paid for that?

It seems so and more than 40 years later, wonderin' if I could ask for having yelled ooh ooh on SFTD during each tour I've seen...

HMN

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 13, 2012 02:06

mickscarey
who cares

Stones fans should care a lot because if she sang on GS, intro or some other part, it is of vital interest.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 13, 2012 10:08

Why is it than no one ever states things like 'yeah I sang with them and I am proud of it, it was great times', but the claim is always 'I wrote the song/part/played the drums, and the Stones stole it of me/never paid credit/still owe me a million dollars'. Is it the claim culture?

Mathijs

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: February 13, 2012 10:23

Will The ROLLING STONES Compensate EMMARETTA MARKS
Date: February 13, 2012 01:20

EMMARETTA MARKS WHO SANG WITH THE ROLLING STONES MICK JAGGER ON GIMMIE SHELTER WAS NEVER GIVEN CREDIT OR PAYMENT FOR HER CREATIVE EFFORTS

Re: Will The ROLLING STONES Compensate EMMARETTA MARKS
Date: February 13, 2012 01:21

YOUTUBE seen Emmaretta Marks sings Gimmie Shelter

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: February 13, 2012 01:35

Dorje
YOUTUBE seen Emmaretta Marks sings Gimmie Shelter

Seen = TV
Listenin' = Record

How could I solve this confused smiley

HMN

Date: February 13, 2012 01:38

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 13, 2012 01:39

Not the first time the name Emmaretta Marks shows up.
Here is a thread from 2010 [www.iorr.org]

BTW Dorje, did you register only to open 2 threads with this breaking news ?
Are you a friend of Emmaretta ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 13, 2012 01:39

Could very well be her in the beginning of GS
However I doubt she really was more than a groupie of Keith, or someone he could lean on for a copule of nods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-13 01:40 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: February 13, 2012 11:37

Very interesting stuff about session musicians fleshing out songs.
It's not unique the the music industry though,if you come up with a better way of doing something at your place of work and it saves the company a fortune,you won't always get the credit for it because it was in the company time.
An old girlfriend of mines father came up with the plastic locking device you get on cable ties,the one you can undo whilst subcontracting to the motor industry (possibly Ford ) and he never got a penny for it ,he was a nice guy but he was not very happy about not getting any recognition or reward for coming up with the idea,because as I said before it was done whilst working for the company.
Presumably The Rolling Stones would be considered ''the company''and therefore the same rules apply.
Just a thought.

I wrote this in the Nicky Hopkins thread a few days ago,it applies here too.
Anyway why wait all these years it's not as if the song just became popular

[www.iorr.org]

Date: February 13, 2012 13:02

Redhotcarpet

Ouch. If she sang this out of tune in '69 as well I understand they hired Merry (note spelling) Clayton.

But..I have never heard of this before, nor has it ever been described by anyone who was at the sessions. We know they tried Bonnie Bramlett to sing on GS, but that either didn't work or she was sick. Than Merry Clayton was asked, and she supposedly did two takes -first verse 1, than a discussion on payment fee, than verse 2.

There's a couple of outtakes, one with only the intro and chorus vocals and of course the one with Keith on vocals. Both these versions have keith doing the intro ooh's in falsetto. I never assumed those to be female vocals at all. Then there's a couple of versions with Merry Clayton (all different in mix), and there the intro ooh's are done by Clayton.

I find it very hard to believe Miss. Marks actually ended up on the final version.

Mathijs

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 13, 2012 15:23

Haha..ThereĀ“s a Stones bootleg from a gig that ..I was in the audience singin along to the songs, - should the bootleggers pay me ? Hahaha...

Date: February 13, 2012 16:15

Mathijs
Redhotcarpet

Ouch. If she sang this out of tune in '69 as well I understand they hired Merry (note spelling) Clayton.

But..I have never heard of this before, nor has it ever been described by anyone who was at the sessions. We know they tried Bonnie Bramlett to sing on GS, but that either didn't work or she was sick. Than Merry Clayton was asked, and she supposedly did two takes -first verse 1, than a discussion on payment fee, than verse 2.

There's a couple of outtakes, one with only the intro and chorus vocals and of course the one with Keith on vocals. Both these versions have keith doing the intro ooh's in falsetto. I never assumed those to be female vocals at all. Then there's a couple of versions with Merry Clayton (all different in mix), and there the intro ooh's are done by Clayton.

I find it very hard to believe Miss. Marks actually ended up on the final version.

Mathijs

I knew someone would make a comment like that.winking smiley Theres no way in hell Keith plays the solo on SFTD. Just listen to this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-13 16:16 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: February 13, 2012 16:18

Of course its Clayton on vocals but who knows if EM came up with a part or sang some part burried or erased. Showbiz in the old company times. Thanks Ines for the internet.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: February 13, 2012 16:56

I think the Rolling Stones where at some points Moneyhounds and very clever about money.

Date: February 14, 2012 07:20

She created the entire femal vocal part in witch she should get writers credit just as the song whiter shade of pale, the B3 organ part

Date: February 14, 2012 07:31

That is Emmaretta Marks who created the femal vocal part, I don't care what they did with it after as Merri copied it to a certain degree, just as the case of the organ player on the tune whiter shade of pale he created the parts writiers it's not about bullshit it'a about dollers and cents

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 14, 2012 07:55

Is this a carefully orchestrated controversy to build up momentum for the 50th anniversary tour? "done deal" as they say around here... lol spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

EMMARETTA MARKS CREATING THE FEMAL VOCAL PART GIMMIE SHELTER
Date: February 14, 2012 07:38

IT'S not about bullshit it's about credit and money Emmaretta Marks created the femal vocal part to Gimmie Shelter never got paid or credit and a "LIE" was instituted that's fraud on Merri Claytons part and the Rolling Stones It is the same as the case of the organ player on Whiter Shad Of Pal that creat the organ melody to the song that just goy paid last year over forty years ago fraud is a dirty word

Re: EMMARETTA MARKS CREATING THE FEMAL VOCAL PART GIMMIE SHELTER
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: February 14, 2012 07:49

Shad of Pal... I always liked the tune.

As for EM and GS, if she feels this is what happened, I suppose she ought to go for it at this late date if she wants and see how it plays out.

Reminds me that the strangest claim, by far, against Stones I ever came across was some comments on one of the Almost Hear You Sigh videos on YouTube. Apparently since removed or else I just can't find them. From what I recall this person kept insisting that a relative of his wrote the song, and the Stones purchased it, made a few changes and ultimately of course put it out as their own. Presumably the person making the claim was either crazy or a troll, but he stayed on point, as I recall, being fairly reasonable in tone, which was uncharacteristic of most mentally ill or trolls in those Youtube comments. I wondered if perhaps his relative was pulling his leg and he fell for it. Almost Hear you Sigh always sounded to me like it was derived from Beast of Burden - or at least most of it anyway.

EMMARETTA MARKS ALSO SANG WITH.. JIMI HENDRX, HAIR, IKE & TINA TURNER & LEVON HELM
Date: February 14, 2012 07:45

EMMARETTA MARKS ROCK RHYTHM AND SOUL

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-14 07:52 by Dorje.

Date: February 14, 2012 09:42

Happens all the time only we categorize Stones in the 60s idea of pop stars having to be labled as pop composers, sole creators and unique geniuses. They are in showbiz and that means people are ripped off all the time. Harder to do that these days which is a good thing. The flipside is that rock stardom is dead. The untocuhable genius is as impossible creation today.
The last one was Cobain.

Date: February 14, 2012 10:29

Dorje
That is Emmaretta Marks who created the femal vocal part, I don't care what they did with it after as Merri copied it to a certain degree, just as the case of the organ player on the tune whiter shade of pale he created the parts writiers it's not about bullshit it'a about dollers and cents

If its dollars and cents you want it's going to be difficult, as in fact not Miss Marks nor Merry Clayton created that part -that was Keith Richards, whom by all statements of the Stones and recording crew wrote all words and melodies. Merry Clayton's vocals basically are a copy of Richards' melody line, she only does take it ten (or twenty) steps hihger with one of the best vocal performances ever recorded. But the ooh's at the intro and the 'war, children' chorus: that's all created by Keith Richards. They tried at least one more female singer, Bonnie Bramlett, evidenced by the recording engineer and a picture in the 'Let it Bleed' book, and it could be very well possible Miss Marks had a go as well, but that to date is not documented anywhere.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home