Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ry Cooder--Advice on blues songs
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 13, 2012 20:35

Hello all,
I am re-familiarizing myself with Mr Cooder and I am looking for some blues songs from Ry to listen to. I have Jamming with Edward, Crossroads soundtrack, and Paris Texas (I know it's not all blues but still cool. )

I also have this acoustic blues instrumental he does as well as stuff with Taj Mahal and John Lee.

Any other ideas are welcome!

Thanks

Re: Ry Cooder--Advice on blues songs
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 13, 2012 20:38

I think Southern Comfort is his best work.
Also check out his work with John Hiatt and with Little Village.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 13, 2012 21:10

I love that Little Village. Probably not of great historical importance but still a strong album. Good songs, good playing, etc. Hit me as I was coming up in High School and still gives me enjoyment to listen to some 25+ years later. Although I've never driven a truck, I think I can understand some of the loneliness by listening to "Don't You Think About Her While You're Trying To Drive". Also dig "Don't Bug Me When I'm Working" & "Solar Sex Panel"... Looks like I'll need to be pulling out the disc for tonight's boil in the hot tub!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 13, 2012 21:12

Check out his work with Ali Farka Toure. Not all blues as we know it, but definitely you can hear the origins of blues.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 13, 2012 21:12

Thank you!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 13, 2012 23:21

Crying In The Street with Buckwheat Zydeco from Our New Orleans is fairly fine.

The Bobby King/Terry Evans albums on rounder show some great work by Cooder as guitarist and producer. King and Evans also sing brilliantly on Smack Dab In The Middle and Get Rhythm. Speaking of Get Rhythm, if you are a Johnny Cash fan, check out Ry and Steve Earle playing guitar on In Your Mind from the Dead Man Walking soundtrack.

I think Cooder plays mandolin on The Celebrated Walkin' Blues by Taj Mahal from Taj's first album.

I would add that Long Walk Home by Clarence Gatemouth Brown also features Ry on guitar too. Gatemouth also plays viola on the Talking Timbukto album that Ry did with Ali Farke Toure.

Ry also produced Mavis Staple's We'll Never Turn Back, which is another excellent album, and his guitar work on Down In Mississippi is fantastic.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 13, 2012 23:22

Forgot, the 2 cd UFO Has Landed is the best compilation of Ry's that you'll find.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home