Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT, Iron Butterfly European Tour
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: February 4, 2012 17:31

Californians are comin' to Europe next Feb 15th, are you see them?
Any opinions? Watched them live?

Regards
Carlitos
Tenerife
2012-02-15 Teatro Caruso Papozze, Italy
2012-02-16 Jailbreak Roma, Italy
2012-02-17 Naima Club Forli, Italy
2012-02-19 Hard Rock Cafe Bucharest, Romania
2012-02-22 Apolo Barcelona, Spain
2012-02-24 Teatro Felo Monzon Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
2012-02-25 02 Academy Islington-London, United Kingdom
2012-02-26 Glee Club Cardiff, United Kingdom
2012-02-27 Robin 2 Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
2012-02-28 The Brook Southampton, United Kingdom
2012-03-01 Musiktheater Piano Dortmund, Germany
2012-03-02 Kubana Siegburg, Germany
2012-03-04 Rudolphs Herbst Pitt Krefeld, Germany
2012-03-05 Little Devil Tilburg, Holland
2012-03-06 Spirit of 66 Verviers, Belgium
2012-03-08 Blues Garage Hannover, Germany
2012-03-09 Kulturbastion Torgau, Germany
2012-03-10 Múzeum obchodu Bratislava, Slovakia
2012-03-11 Retro Music Hall Prague, Czech Republic
2012-03-12 Blue Note Poznan, Poland
2012-03-13 Alibi Wroclaw, Poland
2012-03-15 Progresja Warsaw, Poland
2012-03-18 Z7 Plattern, Switzerland

Re: OT, Iron Butterfly European Tour
Posted by: virgil ()
Date: February 4, 2012 17:44

The amount of personal that has come and gone in the band is amazing.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 4, 2012 17:47

Saw them about 10 years ago. Good for a laugh.

Date: February 4, 2012 18:02

how about that Tatters, because they are completely new? or what?

Date: February 4, 2012 18:07

They had the original drummer and bass player. The guy singing lead and playing keyboards was a hoot, though. He looked exactly like the guy on the cover of Jethro Tull's Aqualung album, and he was trying to act like he was all "lewd", and stuff. The other thing that seemed hilarious to me was that I had never heard rock music played so slowly before. It actually took a while to adjust to their speed and get used to it. Once I did, it was actually quite enjoyable.

Date: February 4, 2012 18:18

All right, so it worth it?

Date: February 4, 2012 18:22

Any anecdote at their concert in California, with other musicians, etc?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 4, 2012 18:29

I stood in a line to have Ray Manzarek (of the Doors) sign his autobiography and this kooky guy in front of me would hold out to anyone he could a business card he'd been given and say, "Read this." The card read, "So-and-So, Manager of Iron Butterfly." He'd met Iron Butterfly's manager and got his card. But what was comical was he expected people to drop to their knees in worship of him because he had the business card of Iron Butterfly's manager! OhMyGod! ThatIsSoAwesomeDude! (Incidentally, it turns out that Tower Records wouldn't let anything be signed that wasn't bought there, so I left. I guess they were trying to fend off bankruptcy.)

Date: February 4, 2012 18:35

carlitosbaez
All right, so it was worth it?

It was a package tour, "Spirit of '67" or some such thing, with a couple other bands, and the tickets were cheap, so yeah, it was worth it.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 4, 2012 19:37

No Ingle, no Butterfly

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 4, 2012 20:06

Mike Pinera?

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 4, 2012 20:13

No Bart Simpson, no I. Ron Butterfly:

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: February 4, 2012 20:55

ohnonotyouagain
No Bart Simpson, no I. Ron Butterfly:

This sounds like Rock and/or Roll!!!!!!

Date: February 4, 2012 22:12

Thanks for your comments!!
wnen you write down, sounds like rock and or roll, don't understand.
I love no ingle, no butterfly jajaja
Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: February 4, 2012 23:25

Elmo Lewis
Mike Pinera?

Last I heard of Mike, he was touring with something called The Classic Rock All Stars. It was him, Pete Rivera (drummer/singer with Rare Earth), Jerry Corbetta from Sugarloaf (Green-Eyed Lady) and some asian guy who was introduced as having something to do with Cannibal and the Headhunters, which seemed unlikely, since that was an all-Mexican band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-04 23:26 by tatters.

Date: February 4, 2012 23:59

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 5, 2012 00:05

tatters
Elmo Lewis
Mike Pinera?

Last I heard of Mike, he was touring with something called The Classic Rock All Stars. It was him, Pete Rivera (drummer/singer with Rare Earth), Jerry Corbetta from Sugarloaf (Green-Eyed Lady) and some asian guy who was introduced as having something to do with Cannibal and the Headhunters, which seemed unlikely, since that was an all-Mexican band.

Sounds interesting!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 5, 2012 04:03

Elmo Lewis
tatters
Elmo Lewis
Mike Pinera?

Sounds interesting!

I saw them (CRAS) about 10 years ago at one of these free concerts in the park, Cannibal & co. were an LA Band of Latino descent.

Date: February 5, 2012 05:58

BluzDude
Elmo Lewis
tatters
Elmo Lewis
Mike Pinera?

Sounds interesting!

I saw them (CRAS) about 10 years ago at one of these free concerts in the park, Cannibal & co. were an LA Band of Latino descent.

The guy in the video I posted, who is the guy you and I both saw, and who supposedly had something to do with this band, is the late Dennis Noda, who isn't even mentioned in their Wikipedia entry.

Cannibal & the Headhunters
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cannibal & The Headhunters were an American band originating from East Los Angeles, that was known for being one of the first Mexican-American groups to have a national hit record, "Land of a Thousand Dances", recorded on the Rampart label. They were also the opening act on The Beatles' second American tour, backed up by the King Curtis band.

They were the discovery of Rampart Records label owner and founder Eddie Davis, and were part of a collection of Mexican-American musicians and singers in the 1960s, who pioneered the "East Side Sound" music of Los Angeles, a musical phenomenon of the time that attracted international attention.

The group was founded by Richard "Scar" Lopez and Robert "Rabbit" Jaramillo in 1964; the other group members were Frankie "Cannibal" Garcia and Joe "Yo Yo" Jaramillo. The band was originally called "Bobby and the Classics".[4] Barely out of high school, they came from Ramona Gardens and Estrada Courts Housing Projects of East Los Angeles, and were inspired by the African American doo wop groups in their neighborhoods. This group toured recorded and performed together for only eighteen months, before they broke up due to personal conflicts.

Their version of "Land of a Thousand Dances" was a cover version of the original Chris Kenner tune, arranged and produced by Max Uballez with Garcia, and engineered by Bruce Morgan. The record reached #30 in the Billboard Hot 100 chart in early 1965. The "na, na, na, na..." lyric roll was a mistake performed by Garcia during a performance in which he forgot the lyrics in mid-song and simply improvised. Wilson Pickett recorded the song into a national hit for himself in 1967, also using the "na, na, na, na" lyric.

Garcia died in 1996, aged 49. Joe Jaramillo died in 2000, and Lopez died of lung cancer on July 30, 2010, aged 65.

Date: February 5, 2012 06:17

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: February 5, 2012 08:34

Iron Butterfly........where have they been..thought they broke up years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home