Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Re: NEW BOOK: Butterfly on The Wheel: The Great Rolling Stones Drugs Bust
Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: August 15, 2011 00:41

This might be an interesting read. I always thought 1967, and the events that unfolded, was one of the most interesting chapters in the history of the band.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-15 00:42 by originalstones.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: August 15, 2011 18:42

originalstones
This might be an interesting read. I always thought 1967, and the events that unfolded, was one of the most interesting chapters in the history of the band.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

I have a 365 days on the Stones by the author, a well done and nice book. This project must be interesting. Some 350 pages about the early Stones till the Redlands bust?

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: August 15, 2011 20:11

I have a strange feeling about Stones books coming after LIFE. They don´t seem to be too much interesting to me.
Like, after Keith telling all from the deep inside, what else is to be so interesting? Only , if it happens, Mick´s book......

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 15, 2011 23:56

I find the timing of this tome interesting since Rupert's stock has taken a hit. "Both those cops are in jail now," Keith said many years ago. Now that it's more than a case of circumstantial evidence, it would be interesting to talk to the survivors of "News of the World" from that period and come clean. Perty telling that reporters hit the scene before the cops did ...

Date: August 16, 2011 02:09

varilla
I have a strange feeling about Stones books coming after LIFE. They don´t seem to be too much interesting to me.
Like, after Keith telling all from the deep inside, what else is to be so interesting? Only , if it happens, Mick´s book......

Just my own opinion, but a Jagger book just doesn't hit me as interesting. Not that he wouldn't have all the tales from heaven and hell up his sleeve, but I can't see him ever getting down and intimate.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: August 16, 2011 14:33

Because Keith might not have told the whole truth......

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 16, 2011 15:52

varilla

Indeed. How much is too much? I believe we hit that threshold well before LIFE.

Posted by: sizey ()
Date: August 19, 2011 01:33

Thanks for highlighting my book - I do hope you will find it as illuminating reading it as I did writing and researching it. It is a remarkable tale and I have been able to uncover many secrets and revelations never previous known about the affair. I have had the benefit of many previously unseen papers from both police and other official sources to which I have been able to build an uncluttered picture of the bust and the subsequent trial. Many people interviewed have never spoken on the case. Here's a little teaser of some of the material I have uncovered. Believe me, there's loads more in the book, including a photo of Schneiderman carrying his infamous attaché case!

[1.bp.blogspot.com]

Am happy to answer any questions here....

Very best,

Simon Wells

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 19, 2011 01:43

Somebody should do a documentary on that whole episode.
I don't think one has been done.

Date: August 19, 2011 01:55

Indeed- although sadly only a few of the original "Redlands" police survive. However, I am confident that something will happen....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 19, 2011 01:57

... thanks sizey...Simon... looking forward ta reading

ROCKMAN

Date: August 19, 2011 01:58

Pleasure Rockman- Oh, the source of the "Mars Bar" is revealed too!

Date: August 19, 2011 02:07

I should add "source of the rumour" rather than the shop!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 19, 2011 02:20

sizey

Very best,

Simon Wells

I have a question. Does the book go in to any great detail about Brian being busted in May 1967?

It was basically part of the same police witch hunt and in many respects had a bigger affect on the future of the band than the Redlands bust.

Date: August 19, 2011 02:23

sizey
Indeed- although sadly only a few of the original "Redlands" police survive. However, I am confident that something will happen....

It would make a great documentary. Are Mick and Keith's (and Brian's) lawyers at that time still living?

Date: August 19, 2011 02:26

sadly not- although Stones' solicitor Timothy Hardacre is still alive and gave an interview for the book. However, he was not involved in the actual trial. That was down to Michael Havers and his team who took over the caseload.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-19 02:32 by sizey.

Date: August 19, 2011 02:59

Yes I do- and there is a lot of new information concerning Brian's arresting officer Sgt Norman Pilcher- most of it new.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: August 19, 2011 03:09

is this anything like the "panther record 2"edited by tim hewat from ( i dont know when) ????

Date: August 19, 2011 07:22

According to Wikipedia (take it as you will) Norman Pilcher was born in 1936, making him Bill's age. So he was 30-32 years old when he was making all those busts.
I always thought of him as much older; a haggered, gray-haired veteran of the police force; a stereotype, I guess. I had no idea he was that close in age to the Beatles, Stones, etc.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: August 19, 2011 13:10

Sizey, did you happen to interview Stash, who was busted with Brian? I am assuming you certainly write about Brian's bust as well considering the two stemmed from that New Of The World article and were interconnected. Also, are you familiar with a Keith Cooley who is also writing a book about the Redlands bust?

Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-19 13:11 by originalstones.

Date: August 19, 2011 13:16

detroitken
is this anything like the "panther record 2"edited by tim hewat from ( i dont know when) ????

The Panther book was really just a collection of press reports and transcripts - there was no first hand research there. It certainly is a good primer.

Date: August 19, 2011 13:23

originalstones
Sizey, did you happen to interview Stash, who was busted with Brian? I am assuming you certainly write about Brian's bust as well considering the two stemmed from that New Of The World article and were interconnected. Also, are you familiar with a Keith Cooley who is also writing a book about the Redlands bust?

Rob

Indeed- and you'll see that the News of the World was the sole motivator behind events. When put under the microscope, the whole Establishment/conspiracy argument is frankly ludicrous. I wanted to concentrate fully on Redlands, so I kept Brian's involvement - which is undeniably important- to a minimum. I am not that surprised someone else is writing a book on the saga- it is quite an amazing tale! Equally, I am surprised that it hasn't been covered before- such is its importance in 20th century culture.

Date: August 19, 2011 13:29

It's a shame you chose to keep Brian content to a minimum. thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-19 13:31 by His Majesty.

Date: August 19, 2011 13:37

Well, it's just there is SO much on the Redlands' trial- that Mick and Keith have to take presidence over Brian's traumas. Rest assured, Brian's involvement is fully covered- and I have ascertained that he was the target of major police harassment during the late 1960s - some of which has not been covered in any depth before.

Date: August 19, 2011 13:43

tomk
According to Wikipedia (take it as you will) Norman Pilcher was born in 1936, making him Bill's age. So he was 30-32 years old when he was making all those busts.
I always thought of him as much older; a haggered, gray-haired veteran of the police force; a stereotype, I guess. I had no idea he was that close in age to the Beatles, Stones, etc.

Here's our Norm!

Pilcher

Date: August 19, 2011 13:43

Kept to a minimum, but fully covered. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 19, 2011 13:48

Edited by Tim Hewat

ROCKMAN

Date: August 19, 2011 13:57

It's a good little miscellany- but in reality just a collection of clippings- released very soon after the trials. Quite sought-after these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-19 15:20 by sizey.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 19, 2011 13:57

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: August 19, 2011 15:34

His Majesty
sizey

Very best,

Simon Wells

I have a question. Does the book go in to any great detail about Brian being busted in May 1967?

It was basically part of the same police witch hunt

Can just make this abundantly clear - the Redlands bust had no involvement with Sgt Pilcher or the London Drug Squad. While Pilcher was very much on Brian's tail, he was not on the raid, or involved in any way regarding the planning. Many, including Keith and Lennon are of the belief he was involved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-19 15:36 by sizey.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home