Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Flashpoint - Brown Sugar
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 7, 2012 07:45

What show was Brown Sugar taken from? Is there an audience recording of the gig? The opening riff is perfect and I have always been curious whether it was played that way live or dubbed afterwards...

Re: Flashpoint - Brown Sugar
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 7, 2012 07:51

It is from Torino, Italy 1990, one of the concerts shot for Stones At The Max

I know that an AUD video also exists, but I don't have it.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 7, 2012 08:22

Sounds to me like some missed notes/chords, I can almost see Keith and Ronnie posing and playing to the crowd as they play it, so I don't think it's dubbed, or perfect. It might be better than some performances, but still kind of sloppy to me.

Date: January 7, 2012 08:59

The opening riff up until the drums kick in is what ive always loved about that version. The rest is ok but those opening notes sound completely unique compared to every version I've heard.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 7, 2012 14:37

flacnvinyl
What show was Brown Sugar taken from? Is there an audience recording of the gig? The opening riff is perfect and I have always been curious whether it was played that way live or dubbed afterwards...

I also feel that is one of the most "perfect" live versions of Brown Sugar. Pretty sure most of FP was recorded on the European leg of the tour. I don't think it's an overdub because I've heard several bootlegs from that tour and Keith was playing it that way almost every time. What adds to it is that FP has a very crisp, clear mix. I think it's very good overall and a huge improvement over Still Life. Just compare the repeated songs. Start Me Up and Satisfaction make the Still Life versions sound extremely weak.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 7, 2012 16:14

stonesdan60
Pretty sure most of FP was recorded on the European leg of the tour.

From nzentgraf.de:

- Intro/Continental Drift (MJ/KR) -Steel Wheel-version, part only
- Start Me Up (MJ/KR) -Clemson 26.11.89
- Sad Sad Sad (MJ/KR) -Atlantic City 19.12.89
- Miss You (MJ/KR) -Jacksonville 25.11.89
- Rock And A Hard Place (MJ/KR) -Jacksonville 25.11.89
- Ruby Tuesday (MJ/KR) -Tokyo 27.2.90
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want (MJ/KR) -Jacksonville 25.11.89
- Factory Girl (MJ/KR) -London 6.7.90
- Can’t Be Seen (MJ/KR) -Clemson 26.11.89
- Little Red Rooster (Willie Dixon) (MJ/KR) -Atlantic City 19.12.89
- Paint It Black (MJ/KR) -Barcelona 13.6.90
- Sympathy For The Devil (MJ/KR) -Tokyo 26.2.90
- Brown Sugar (MJ/KR) -Torino 28.7.90
- Jumping Jack Flash (MJ/KR) -Tokyo 27.2.90
- Satisfaction (MJ/KR) -Clemson 26.11.89
- Highwire (MJ/KR) -Hit Factory Studios, 7.-11.1.91
- Sex Drive (MJ/KR) -Hit Factory Studios, 7.-11.1.91

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 7, 2012 17:51

what i don't understand is why anyone is listening to flashpoint at this point in time. please.

Date: January 7, 2012 18:14

Don't worry, we aren't. I just post here in between meetings!

Posted by: Big Ed ()
Date: January 7, 2012 18:18

Yo StonesTod

It was a wonderful time to enjoy their music and that tour.
So to look back and have a few moments to bring back those memories
Of that time Flashpoint works. Just listen to the roar of the fans
After the first lick from Start Me Up ya gotta admit that alone is
Worth listening at this point. Please

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: January 7, 2012 18:46

Flashpoint really got me excited about the Stones. I started with a cassette copy of Hot Rocks, bought a CD copy of Rewind, and then got Steel Wheels. I loved each of them but did not get really excited about the Stones until I played Flashpoint LOUD. At the time it really opened my eyes to how exciting the Stones could be. From there I went back and bought the classic albums and the rest is history. So thank God for Flashpoint.

Date: January 7, 2012 18:52

Big Ed
Yo StonesTod

Totally agree! Steel Wheels was an exciting time as it was the return of the Stones after many people thought they had broken up. It was a great tour and Flashpoint is a great live album to remember it by. And while certain songs seem to show up on every live album, the versions on FP are great and there are a lot of songs you don't get on any other live album. Ruby Tuesday, Factory Girl, and many others. I still listen to it.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 8, 2012 04:54

stonesdan60
... And while certain songs seem to show up on every live album, the versions on FP are great and there are a lot of songs you don't get on any other live album. Ruby Tuesday, Factory Girl, and many others. I still listen to it.

Good point - overall I don't really like it as a live album but I do like those 2 songs on it. There are also a couple of cool b-sides, such as 2000 Light Years and Play With Fire.

Date: January 8, 2012 19:42

LeonidP
stonesdan60
... And while certain songs seem to show up on every live album, the versions on FP are great and there are a lot of songs you don't get on any other live album. Ruby Tuesday, Factory Girl, and many others. I still listen to it.

Good point - overall I don't really like it as a live album but I do like those 2 songs on it. There are also a couple of cool b-sides, such as 2000 Light Years and Play With Fire.

That reminds me of a question: Where can I get that live version of 2000 Light Years From Home? I don't know of any US releases that include it. Is it on any European or Japanese releases? Any experts out there know? They really should have put it on the album instead of say - Miss You.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 8, 2012 19:50

That reminds me of a question: Where can I get that live version of 2000 Light Years From Home? I don't know of any US releases that include it. Is it on any European or Japanese releases?

.......2000 is on the European Highwire 7" 12" and CD singles releases

ROCKMAN

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: January 8, 2012 20:34

StonesTod
what i don't understand is why anyone is listening to flashpoint at this point in time. please.

LOL

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 8, 2012 21:08

Big Ed
Yo StonesTod

pleases and thank you's go a long way with me, big ed. this is how i was raised. having said that...i implore you to get out one of the better boots from the sw/uj tours if you must relive these memories. flashpoint must be resisted. please. and thank you!

Date: January 8, 2012 21:15

StonesTod

Start Me Up is the best thing on that. That's the only thing I listen to.

Date: January 8, 2012 21:16

spsimmons
Flashpoint really got me excited about the Stones. I started with a cassette copy of Hot Rocks, bought a CD copy of Rewind, and then got Steel Wheels. I loved each of them but did not get really excited about the Stones until I played Flashpoint LOUD. At the time it really opened my eyes to how exciting the Stones could be. From there I went back and bought the classic albums and the rest is history. So thank God CBS/Columbia/Rolling Stones Records/Sony/The Rolling Stones for Flashpoint.

There, fixed it for ya.

Date: January 8, 2012 21:17

stonesdan60
LeonidP
stonesdan60

That reminds me of a question: Where can I get that live version of 2000 Light Years From Home? I don't know of any US releases that include it. Is it on any European or Japanese releases? Any experts out there know? They really should have put it on the album instead of say - Miss You.

Might be able to listen to it on Spotify as far as hearing it. It's on the recent box set as I recall.

Date: January 8, 2012 23:33

Even though it's edited a good bit the version on Live Licks is outstanding considering the year. Keith's sound is much beefier, not so clean and Chuck Leavell-ish like the sound on Flashpoint... tongue sticking out smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 9, 2012 05:00

StonesTod

Cause the Exile outtakes are awful and the Some Girls outtakes are second rate.

Date: January 9, 2012 09:24

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Even though it's edited a good bit the version on Live Licks is outstanding considering the year. Keith's sound is much beefier, not so clean and Chuck Leavell-ish like the sound on Flashpoint... tongue sticking out smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I agree. While I don't dislike FP, I do think the production is too clean and slick. The sound on Live Licks is beefier, hard and raw, which is one reason I like that album so much. Of course, just recalling the shows I saw, Steel Wheels did have a very slick "pro-sound." Piano too loud, guitars not loud enough. On the Licks Tour, to my ears the Stones sounded much more like the Stones; guitars up front with a rawer and raunchier sound. Same for the BB tour.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 9, 2012 20:09

More Hot Rocks
StonesTod

Cause the Exile outtakes are awful and the Some Girls outtakes are second rate.

Sorry you feel that way, MoreHotRocks
Well at least you can have a blast listening to Some Girls Live In Texas and the new CD pressing of Still Life in this otherwise poor RS-century !

Posted by: Big Ed ()
Date: January 9, 2012 21:08

Well we all have our own thoughts and have brought value to each other points of view. Thanks to all on their recommendations. This has been a fruitful and positive thread, that's what it's all about.

Big E.

See ya on the road !!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 10, 2012 03:29

I've listened to these songs and I swear they went in the studio and recorded them!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 10, 2012 05:25

So thank God for Flashpoint.

I read where God may have been against releasing this CD.
Perhaps thanking Mick would do?

Posted by: JBH69Flyer ()
Date: January 10, 2012 05:55

Great Discussion!! Can anyone recommend a good recording (or two!) from the Steel Wheels tour? Thanks Very Much! Best Wishes-Jimmy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1471
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home