Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hits No Longer Matter
Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 29, 2011 09:58

Is anyone else sick of people using the argument that the Stones haven't had a "hit" since Start Me Up in 1981 as justification to say the quality of their music has gone to hell? How do records become hits? Well, sales - obviously. And who buys the most music? Young people. As the Stones got older they fell out of fashion with the demographic that buys the most music so it's no surprise that their output fell lower on the charts. When the music buying demographic is busy buying up flavors of the month, bands like the Stones get less and less airplay which further lessens their chances of doing well on the charts. I stand by all my prior statements that the Stones have continued to make great music whether any of it becomes "radio hits" or not. At this point, the Stones could hypothetically put out a song that's cooler than anything they've ever done and it would not become a hit because they're way past the age of artists who appeal to the kids who buy music and cause songs to become hits. This is 2011. The Stones are pushing 70. Even if they pull it together and produce an album that ranks with their best, it will not be a hit or produce hit singles when the music that is considered hit material today is the likes of Justin Bieber and Lady Ga Ga. If A Bigger Bang had come out when the Stones were young, I'll bet it would have produced about as many hit singles as Some Girls. I believe it is one of their very best albums, certainly my favorite since Some Girls. Hits? Those days are over and who cares? The Stones no longer need radio affirmation to prove they are are a great band. Yeah, someone mentioned that The Beach Boys had a "hit" more recently than the Stones. Yep. That's nice - even though the song sucked. And one final thought - are there even any radio stations out there that play things like the current output of people like the Stones, Dylan, etc? Nope. It's all "classic rock." These stations tend to freeze artists in time and make people think that bands like the Stones, The Who and such have about five songs apiece. No wonder audiences would riot if such bands didn't fill their shows with "warhorses." "Classic Rock" radio and music buying demographics have made it increasingly hard for bands like the Stones to make audiences receptive to newer material. I'm sure the Stones would have loved to showcase much more of A Bigger Bang on their last tour, they way they once could do with Some Girls in '78. However, I imagine they're resigned to the fact that the stadiums may be full of both casual and first time attendees who demand to hear what classic rock radio has lead them to believe are the only songs worth hearing. Kudos to Bob Dylan for not giving a damn about nostalgia and playing loads of his great recent material on his last few tours. I wish the Stones would do that, but they know they wouldn't be filling stadiums if they did, and as much as I love them, they are a greedy lot! smiling smiley

Re: Hits No Longer Matter
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 29, 2011 11:25

The easy answer is to combine a CD or free new album download, with every ticket sale.

Clearly they're not making money off the albums anyway, so if they put out the new album as a bonus download 'code' with yer ticket, they'd have even 'new' or casual fans to the show rabid to hear cuts from the album.

I'm sure that even the band wouldn't mind playing new material.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 29, 2011 15:02

it's a very convenient truth for the stones, if true....

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 29, 2011 15:16

stonesdan60
Is anyone else sick of people using the argument that the Stones haven't had a "hit" since Start Me Up in 1981 as justification to say the quality of their music has gone to hell? How do records become hits? Well, sales - obviously. And who buys the most music? Young people. As the Stones got older they fell out of fashion with the demographic that buys the most music so it's no surprise that their output fell lower on the charts. When the music buying demographic is busy buying up flavors of the month, bands like the Stones get less and less airplay which further lessens their chances of doing well on the charts. I stand by all my prior statements that the Stones have continued to make great music whether any of it becomes "radio hits" or not. At this point, the Stones could hypothetically put out a song that's cooler than anything they've ever done and it would not become a hit because they're way past the age of artists who appeal to the kids who buy music and cause songs to become hits. This is 2011. The Stones are pushing 70. Even if they pull it together and produce an album that ranks with their best, it will not be a hit or produce hit singles when the music that is considered hit material today is the likes of Justin Bieber and Lady Ga Ga. If A Bigger Bang had come out when the Stones were young, I'll bet it would have produced about as many hit singles as Some Girls. I believe it is one of their very best albums, certainly my favorite since Some Girls. Hits? Those days are over and who cares? The Stones no longer need radio affirmation to prove they are are a great band. Yeah, someone mentioned that The Beach Boys had a "hit" more recently than the Stones. Yep. That's nice - even though the song sucked. And one final thought - are there even any radio stations out there that play things like the current output of people like the Stones, Dylan, etc? Nope. It's all "classic rock." These stations tend to freeze artists in time and make people think that bands like the Stones, The Who and such have about five songs apiece. No wonder audiences would riot if such bands didn't fill their shows with "warhorses." "Classic Rock" radio and music buying demographics have made it increasingly hard for bands like the Stones to make audiences receptive to newer material. I'm sure the Stones would have loved to showcase much more of A Bigger Bang on their last tour, they way they once could do with Some Girls in '78. However, I imagine they're resigned to the fact that the stadiums may be full of both casual and first time attendees who demand to hear what classic rock radio has lead them to believe are the only songs worth hearing. Kudos to Bob Dylan for not giving a damn about nostalgia and playing loads of his great recent material on his last few tours. I wish the Stones would do that, but they know they wouldn't be filling stadiums if they did, and as much as I love them, they are a greedy lot! smiling smiley

I agree.thumbs up

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 29, 2011 16:31

Hits DO matter. For many years the Rolling Stones had the ability to trot out a new album every 12-18 months - almost a certain #1 - with 2 or 3 successful singles in the mix. The success of the new songs gave them the confidence to play the new material at concerts - thus always interjecting the set list with fresh material. The much celebrated Some Girls is a prime example. Miss You was the #1 song in the land and certainly brought the house down in New Orleans in 1978. The commercial failure of their recent songs has more to do with the Stones becoming an oldies act than anything else. They are long past their commerical peak - they would love to have a last gasp hit song - I hope they can.

Date: December 29, 2011 17:40

Shawn20
Hits DO matter. For many years the Rolling Stones had the ability to trot out a new album every 12-18 months - almost a certain #1 - with 2 or 3 successful singles in the mix. The success of the new songs gave them the confidence to play the new material at concerts - thus always interjecting the set list with fresh material. The much celebrated Some Girls is a prime example. Miss You was the #1 song in the land and certainly brought the house down in New Orleans in 1978. The commercial failure of their recent songs has more to do with the Stones becoming an oldies act than anything else. They are long past their commerical peak - they would love to have a last gasp hit song - I hope they can.

Not in this man's army they won't.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 30, 2011 02:54

They won't have another hit. Even if they came up with something worthy of being a hit, radio stations wouldn't play it. Even "classic rock" radio stations wouldn't play it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 30, 2011 03:02

tatters
They won't have another hit. Even if they came up with something worthy of being a hit, radio stations wouldn't play it. Even "classic rock" radio stations wouldn't play it.

Well I'm not sure about this, it is possible to make a smashing HIT but if it's sound like the Stones no way.......

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: December 30, 2011 03:22

They could have another hit....but it will have to be a dance tune ala Miss You...

Date: December 30, 2011 03:25

palerider22
They could have another hit....but it will have to be a dance tune ala Miss You...

I think that's right...although 'age-ism' will make this difficult.

I've wondered what the reaction would be nowadays to a song like Start Me Up.

Would people clamour to hear/see this, or would nobody care?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 30, 2011 03:26

A Stones' hit nowadays?

No chance in hell in today's market, their last hurrah on the radio was during the Steel Wheels era and that was 22-23 years ago.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 30, 2011 03:36

georgelicks
A Stones' hit nowadays?

No chance in hell in today's market, their last hurrah on the radio was during the Steel Wheels era and that was 22-23 years ago.

Right. The "hit radio" stations that play Lady Gaga are not going to add to their playlists a record made by a band of 70-year-old men. And even classic rock stations don't play new music by classic rock artists. They generally won't play anything that isn't at least 20 years old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-30 03:37 by tatters.

Date: December 30, 2011 03:39

tatters
georgelicks
A Stones' hit nowadays?

Right. The "hit radio" stations that play Lady Gaga are not going to add to their playlists a record made by a band of 70-year-old men. And even classic rock stations don't play new music by classic rock artists. They generally won't play anything that isn't at least 20 years old.

Good lord, the stones are 'shut out'....they're going to have to try to go the 'indy' route.

Another good argument to go on tour and GIVE AWAY the album as a free download with each ticket purchase. A GUARANTEED built-in audience.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 30, 2011 03:52

treaclefingers
palerider22

I think that's right...although 'age-ism' will make this difficult.

I've wondered what the reaction would be nowadays to a song like Start Me Up.

Would people clamour to hear/see this, or would nobody care?

Start Me Up would be a flop, just like every single released during the last 20 years, they tried with classic rock (Love Is Strong, You Got Me Rocking, Don't Stop, Rough Justice, Plundered My Soul), ballads (Out Of Tears, Streets Of Love, No Spare Parts), mid-tempo and trendy stuff (Anybody Seen My Baby, Saint Of Me, Rain Fall Down), covers (Like a Rolling Stone) and nothing got close to the Top 50.

Sadly the world and music market is a "bit" different today than 30 years ago, any stuff released by the Stones during the 60's, 70's and 80's was Top 40 stuff, nowadays they can't even get airplay in active rock stations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-30 03:53 by georgelicks.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 30, 2011 03:55

This must be the end of the world then confused smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 30, 2011 04:11

Utter baloney! A hit is basically the only thing that matters in popular music. Then and now.

Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: December 30, 2011 04:36

I agree with the subject of this post -- hits no longer matter, especially when applied to a group of the Stones maturity and world-wide fan base.

I disagree with the notion that a lack of commercial success over the last 25 years somehow disqualifies the group from performing that period's material live. It's easy to complain about the lack of variety in their setlists -- especially the anti-climactic sequence at the end of most concerts (YCAGWYW, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction....yawn) but it's also fair to say that they have a monumental task distilling their massive song catalog into a 20-25 song setlist. They did a nice job on their last tour.

I don't think real Stones fans give a hoot about radio hits. I liken them to fans of groups like Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead, & The Allman Brothers...the latter two of whom stopped making new albums altogether and concentrated on touring as they got on in years and in so doing rendered some of the best music of their careers on stage, where it matters most.

Date: December 30, 2011 04:49

NICOS
This must be the end of the world then confused smiley

I believe there is an excellent thread to help you prepare for that...

[www.iorr.org]

Date: December 30, 2011 05:43

Let's have 'em keep releasing tweaked songs and see if one does become a hit. That would be funny.

It won't happen but it would be funny. Misty Roads seems obvious.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 30, 2011 06:33

hits no longer matter, YA THINK ?????????!!!!!!!!! its only been thirty years since they had one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-30 06:36 by melillo.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 30, 2011 06:49

Any new song that isn't a hit is likely to be potty time for casual concertgoers.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 30, 2011 09:47

We the fans decides whats a hit or not with Stones...Rough Justice is a hit thus..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 30, 2011 10:27

I've got an idea.

Why not a single featuring a Mick duet with Johnny off X-Factor, failing that Will.i.am

That would be a hit.

It would.

Re: Hits No Longer Matter - SUPERHEAVY
Date: December 30, 2011 16:02

I have to wonder why Mick Jagger even bothered to become involved with SuperHeavy. How many copies did it sell? How many times has it been played on the radio? How much money did Jagger earn from this?

The album is SuperTerrific! I have been playing it almost non-stop for two months. But I do feel that there are about two people in the universe who like it as much as me - me and my 10 year old daughter.

This album is so fantastic - I simply cannot believe it.... So staying on topic, there is almost no point in the Stones knocking themselves out to make new music.... apparently there are not enough people out there who care. Even among their diehard fans on this board.

My most favorite stupid comments are along the lines...."A Bigger Bang would have been better if it had about 10 less songs" Here's an idea: Make a homemade CD with the six songs you don't like...and presto....You have a 10 track CD! A Bigger Bang was truly the "Exile" of its day..... Great, wonderful, memorable music.

Date: December 30, 2011 16:20

HopeYouGuessMyName
I have to wonder why Mick Jagger even bothered to become involved with SuperHeavy. How many copies did it sell? How many times has it been played on the radio? How much money did Jagger earn from this?

The album is SuperTerrific! I have been playing it almost non-stop for two months. But I do feel that there are about two people in the universe who like it as much as me - me and my 10 year old daughter.

This album is so fantastic - I simply cannot believe it.... So staying on topic, there is almost no point in the Stones knocking themselves out to make new music.... apparently there are not enough people out there who care. Even among their diehard fans on this board.

My most favorite stupid comments are along the lines...."A Bigger Bang would have been better if it had about 10 less songs" Here's an idea: Make a homemade CD with the six songs you don't like...and presto....You have a 10 track CD! A Bigger Bang was truly the "Exile" of its day..... Great, wonderful, memorable music.

I've bold my own personal favourite stupid comment...

Date: December 30, 2011 17:40

HopeYouGuessMyName

Isn't it obvious to you Jagger didn't and doesn't care about that with SH? It seems he only cares about that stuff with the Stones. Otherwise he'd never release a solo album. He may have enjoyed making the SH album but even he, along with anyone that has any sense at all about music, knows it sucks.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 30, 2011 18:12

Tell Me still matters to me...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 30, 2011 18:48

Shawn20

The point is that in today's demographics a band like the Stones just won't get played on hit radio even if they made a masterpiece. That doesn't mean the songs aren't good; they just don't stand a chance to get radio play. The true fans don't care. We love the music whether radio plays it or not.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 30, 2011 18:49

...whats a radio?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 30, 2011 19:30

Forget the hits. Concentrate on making a really good mix of what you do best, rhythm and blues. It would be difficult for the Stones to be 'relevant' at this point in the Singles market. Hell, Singles aren't that relevant in the Singles market. Very, very, few singles actually break through to public consciousness these days. You can read a Billboard chart from 40 years ago and know every song on it. You can read one from today and be lucky to be faintly aware of one or two. And it's not because you're old, as much as the real truth, they suck.

A guy speaking through an autotune about going to a club, for the umpteenth time, is considered a hit. What kind of an audience is that, with such low demands of their 'artists'? I scoured Rolling Stone magazines 50 Best Singles of 2011 and downloaded 5. Out of those 5, I've eliminated one upon further listening, and one of the remaining 4 is Paul Simon (Afterlife). And no, the Paul Simon cut doesn't sound like something from the 70s. It actually has modern day sonic relevance.

I'm not sure the present day Stones are capable of putting aside their egos and creating something that would be sparkling and new. You can't do that when you only get together every five years and only stay in the studio a couple weeks. They don't live among one another like they used to. I could be happy if they'd dig up some obscure old songs and cover them ala Stones. At this point they should use everything they've learned to put out one last great piece of art, but that time may have passed.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1506
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home