Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

David Lee Roth Poster VS the Stones ' "Black and Blue" display
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 28, 2011 22:18

When Van Halen’s Women And Children First was released on March 26th, 1980, a three-foot black and white poster of David Lee Roth, bound to a chain-link fence, was included in the first million pressings. The photograph was taken by famed fashion photographer Helmut Newton. It was used for shock value. Many fans are unaware of the story behind this very rare, classic poster.

In 1979, when Van Halen would take breaks during their “World Vacation” tour, Roth would head right for Studio 54, where he would sometimes spot Helmut Newton there. When it came time to do the third Van Halen record, he told the band that Newton should shoot a picture for the album.

In his autobiography, Crazy From The Heat, Roth recounts the story of how he met Helmut Newton and how the classic poster came to be:

Everybody said, “Who’s Helmut Newton?”

I said, “He’s the shit. He’s legit.”

The record company’s art department said “Oh, no way. This is a fifty-thousand-dollar-a-shoot guy. He doesn’t deal with this kind of rigmarole…”

Lo and behold…(which sounds like a legal firm)… Helmut Newton is having a showing at the G. Ray Hawkins Gallery on Melrose. And I says to myself, “He can only be staying at one of four hotels, let’s start calling.”

I called the Beverly Hills Hotel, on Sunset Boulevard: “Excuse me, may I please speak to Mr. Newton?”

“Certainly, sir.”

He picks up the phone, and I say, “Good afternoon, Mr. Newton, my name’s David Lee Roth. I’m very aware of your talents and who you are. I’m sure you’ve never heard of me, but I’m in a rock band called Van Halen, and we’re flavor of the week. I think we should shoot a photo.”

He said, “This is very interesting. I’ve never had an approach like this. Did you call my agent?”

I said, “What do you mean?”

He said, “Precisely. I like your attitude. Come on down to the pool and let’s have a look at you.”

I said, “Great.” Put on leather everything- riding boots with the leather pants, chaps with the jacket, the belt, and I went down to the hotel. He was lounging by the pool.

I sat down, and we talked everything from politics to mathematics for about half an hour, then he leaned over and said, “Do you know what, David? You are my new favorite blond. I would love to shoot photos of you.”

I said, “Spectacular. When?”

And he said, “What are you doing for the rest of the day?”

I said, “Nothing.”

He said, “Great. Do you have a car?”

I said, “Oh, yes. I have a Mercedes-Benz that I just had painted black, with a big skull and crossbones on the hood of the car.”

He said, “Magnificent! Let me go to my room, get me my camera gear, my wife, Alice Springs, is a stellar photographer in her own right. Would it be okay if she comes along?”

“Absolutely.”

“Great. We’ll find her, we’ll get our gear together. Do you have a place to shoot?”

I said, “Well, I have a dog pound in my backyard, with a lot of fencing.”

“Excellent! I’ll meet you in the parking lot.”

We made a poster: Me, chained up- it’s a very famous poster- in the dog pound, and enclosed it in every album. It was sold from there on in. Forty-five dollars. The last remaining print I know of has been sitting in my sister’s room folding up from humidity and the elements. And within the last two months, I had it framed and stabilized. This photo is easily worth ten thousand dollars. The photo of me, chained up in the dog pound, has been in every one of Helmut’s annuals.

For the first time since 1980, this classic poster is once again available to fans and collectors. It’s been reprinted and is now included in the rerelease of Women And Children First on 180 gram vinyl, available at VanHalenStore.com here.

The album was promoted with a controversial billboard on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood that depicted the model Anita Russell, bruised and bound by Jagger[5] under the phrase "I'm Black and Blue from the Rolling Stones — and I love it!" The billboard was removed after protests by the feminist group Women Against Violence Against Women, although it earned the band widespread press coverage.[6]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: David Lee Roth Poster VS the Stones ' "Black and Blue" display
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 28, 2011 22:24

You gonna get that poster, Sway ?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 28, 2011 22:24

Bound and determined winking smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 28, 2011 22:28

Have the Roth poster, got it in the album when I bought it. This all reminds me of the hilarious scene in Spinal Tap where their Smell The Glove cover was banned but then they ask about Duke Fame's album cover which is similar. Ian Faith,the band manager, says that cover isn't banned because he's the victim, whereas on their cover she's the victim! Tap realize the difference and one says it' such a fine line between genius and stupidity (if I recall).

Date: December 28, 2011 23:10

Edith Grove
You gonna get that poster, Sway ?

That David Lee Roth poster is still in my house -somewhere in a cupboard -but not on my bedroom walls anymore.grinning smiley

That Jagger's poster was hanging upon my bed walls when I was 14 with the David Lee Roth 'one .

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: December 29, 2011 05:50

I don't know if you noticed but sway seems to be attracted by androgynous men
it's quite a strange thing isn't it ?

Date: December 29, 2011 11:55

LOL,JP .

Huh ? I am not attracted by androgynous men , I am attracted by all kind of men ,apart body builders ....
Plus I won't define David Lee Roth as androgynous - look at his chest & at his stomach :-)

Seriously though, I thought it would be interseting to draw a parallel between these two posters that look alike but that don't have the same meaning .
BTW ,I am surprised it doesn't spark off more comments .

PS : In case you're wondering ,no I am not into S&M either smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 29, 2011 12:14

....................... Paul McCartney 1969 ----- Jeremy Banks

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 29, 2011 13:04

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-29 16:29 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: December 29, 2011 19:41

Max'sKansasCity

Oh no !!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did you edit your post before I had time to give a witty answer to it sad smiley

I did read what you wrote ,Max. smoking smiley
Now, what is the right sentense ?

Mine : <<no I am not into S&M either <<

Yours : <<Neither I am

<<

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 29, 2011 20:43

Whats the purpose with that picture taken of you Sir Paul? I think it's stinks...

..even more than this one..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 31, 2011 00:14

................... none of 'em can escape Harry's influence

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home