Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Some Girls Wig Box
Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: December 21, 2011 18:23

Got it today - it took the parcel only 2 days to travel around the world.

For the collectors out there which may still think about buying or not - this is a MUST, an absolute beautiful item.

- the size is much bigger than I'd expected about 12inch I'd say

- the "Some Girls"-lettering on top seems to be made out of small sparkling stones

- one can easily access the USB-stick, no need to destroy any packaging

I'm really happy that I bought it on Black Friday for $ 72,- on Amazon.com - now it's $ 170,58 again but it's still worth any Cent and I think about ordering another copy. Only 600 got made and besides of the usual negativity ("who needs this crap.." etc.) the value may rise high within a few years.

Re: Some Girls Wig Box
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 21, 2011 18:24

...plus, you have a place to store your hat now!

Date: December 21, 2011 18:25

oops...that would have been if you had the pillbox hat box...perhaps you wear a wig?

If not, be an excellent place to store loose buttons.

Date: December 21, 2011 18:26

treaclefingers
...plus, you have a place to store your hat now!

but what about my wig?

Date: December 21, 2011 18:32

only one example, ok? I bought the U2 "Achtung Baby" LP as a limited Box-set in 1991. All my friends laughed at me for a) buying U2 and b) buying an LP instead of the CD. To make it short - I bought 2 copies, I left one sealed and played the other one to death 20 years ago. It was an investment of ATS 38,- which is about less than 3 Euro or around 4 Dollars. All in all I got 1,000 Euro in return when I sold them 1 year (the sealed one) and 3 years (the used one) ago. Now I can afford any kind of plastic/wooden/paper-box for my loose buttons that I want >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-21 18:32 by silkcut1978_.

Date: December 21, 2011 18:36

silkcut1978_
only one example, ok? I bought the U2 "Achtung Baby" LP as a limited Box-set in 1991. All my friends laughed at me for a) buying U2 and b) buying an LP instead of the CD. To make it short - I bought 2 copies, I left one sealed and played the other one to death 20 years ago. It was an investment of ATS 38,- which is about less than 3 Euro or around 4 Dollars. All in all I got 1,000 Euro in return when I sold them 1 year (the sealed one) and 3 years (the used one) ago. Now I can afford any kind of plastic/wooden/paper-box for my loose buttons that I want >grinning smiley<

HOWEVER,

You've probably still never gotten over the stigma of having invested in U2, probably today even more than in 1991....just sayin'!

Date: December 21, 2011 18:56

treaclefingers
silkcut1978_

HOWEVER,

You've probably still never gotten over the stigma of having invested in U2, probably today even more than in 1991....just sayin'!

You're probably right but as I ain't got no friends anymore I don't care too much for the stigma ..

Date: December 21, 2011 19:00

silkcut1978_
treaclefingers
silkcut1978_

HOWEVER,

You're probably right but as I ain't got no friends anymore I don't care too much for the stigma ..

Well...at least there's some comfort in that!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 21, 2011 19:09

Would love to have the wigbox! Congrats on the great bargain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-21 19:12 by stonesrule.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 21, 2011 19:37

Yeah, some of the collectable stuff out there is better than any 401K. I am glad I ordered the wig box, sounds beautiful! Mine has not arrived yet. Looking forward to it. I still am baffled by the negativity towards the Some Girls Deluxe box. It is stunning! Very high quality and seems someone in their creative department was looking at the Bowie Station to Station box set for some ideas. It is very well done and the book that comes with it is stunning. So much eye candy for the graphics arts fans.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 21, 2011 19:56

whitem8
...I still am baffled by the negativity towards the Some Girls Deluxe box. It is stunning! Very high quality and seems someone in their creative department was looking at the Bowie Station to Station box set for some ideas. It is very well done and the book that comes with it is stunning. So much eye candy for the graphics arts fans.

I couldn't agreed more thumbs up

HMN

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 21, 2011 20:05

Maybe all the negativity is because of all the recent remaster let-downs? I'm part of the skeptical audience for these boxsets. I will admit the super deluxe box is nice, better than ya-ya's and exile no doubt. But is this wig box so great? Is the USB at least in 24 bit?

Date: December 21, 2011 20:29

I have no negativity towards the superdeluxe boxes....only they could/should have included more for the price.

IE, for somegirls, instead of simply the Beast 45, which is great, include ALL 45's with PS's...Respectable, Shattered, Miss You, Beast, Before they Make me Run AND one of the coloured vinyl LP's...colour left to chance...also, the new cuts on vinyl in addition to the CD's.

If you're charging $150, there is a fair amount of wiggle room....isn't it BETTER to move more units?

Date: December 21, 2011 21:21

You're right with the $ 150,- charge - one could expect more for the money but to be honest there's no way to get it out for 150,- including 4 extra singles and two additional LPs. Guess what the price would have been then.

Don't know why but it's the same as with Exile - when I last was in NYC in August I came across a copy at Best Buy for 220 or 225 $ - that's way too much, isn't it? Fact is that this stuff is way more expensive in the US than in Germany. The Some Girls Super Deluxe goes on sale here for EUR 88,99 while on Amazon.com they ask for the 150,- you've mentioned. That said I'm more than satiesfied with what I've got for my money. Same with the Wig Box - $ 72,- for this gem is a joke.

Anyway, as a collector this was/still is one of my best years - now I've got all 6 vinyl releases (different colors), I have and love the Super Deluxe box which is really stunning in my eyes as well, the Wig Box is fantastic, yeah and I'm still waiting for the Gift Box to arrive. Maybe I go for the Super Deluxe SACD-version as well.

And what's best - I hear the Bonus Disc on a daily basis in my car or at home. I liked it from the first moment on but it still grows on me more and more. That said I'm maybe kinda blind - as long as they deliver such a good bunch of music they may release it in every variation they like - I'm going to buy it. Lately I often think of my old friend Charlie (Rockin' Rott) who passed 2 1/2 years ago. He never heard this music that way I hear it now - crystal clear with finished vocals - and I'm truly grateful that I'm still alive and able to listen to.

To answer your final question from my personal point of view: again, as a collector I'm happy if they move 600 units instead of 6,000 or even more, but that's just me.

Date: December 21, 2011 22:08

I'm not as optimistic about the price potential increase as you perhaps.

I do think there is wiggle room. I purchased the superdeluxe from Amazon.co.uk for 62 GBP's...that was pretty good, but even still, around $100.

If you took the retail price of the CD's, around $20 (although I bought them for $16), and the 45 ($9 maybe?), what you have left is the book and some postcards.

Not really worth the price...if you're going to call it superdeluxe, blow us away!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 22, 2011 00:08

Who doesn't love a wig thread.

Posted by: hypnohighball ()
Date: December 22, 2011 00:49

So what's on the USB stick? There's been much speculation and conflicting info.

Also, does the wig box come "sealed" or is it open so you can look inside it?
Thanks!

Date: December 22, 2011 03:41

hypnohighball
So what's on the USB stick? There's been much speculation and conflicting info.

Also, does the wig box come "sealed" or is it open so you can look inside it?
Thanks!

Never mind, the UPS guy just delivered my box a few hours ago. The wig box is indeed quite lovely and cool, but unfortunately the USB stick is empty!
Early descriptions stated that there was video and picture content on it, but it turns out that is not the case.
Mine is # 077 of 600, by the way, and I got in on that $72 deal Amazon ran too, so I can always flip it and make at least my $ back. Who knows, this could be a nice investment, seeing it in person it is really nice, the pic on Amazon doesn't do it justice, imho.

Date: December 22, 2011 03:54

a blank USB stick? You could buy one at Bestbuy for under $10...why would they bother?

Don't tell me it's a lipstick tube or something...just don't tell me that.

Date: December 22, 2011 06:38

treaclefingers
a blank USB stick? You could buy one at Bestbuy for under $10...why would they bother?

OK, I won't tell you that, even if it is, I mean was..... : )

Date: December 22, 2011 08:39

hypnohighball
treaclefingers

OK, I won't tell you that, even if it is, I mean was..... : )

As the great Maxwell Smart would say..."I asked you not to tell me that 99!"

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: December 22, 2011 09:36

The USB stick is blank? This, combined with the DVD on the Super Deluxe being out of synch, is another let down for items that are too expensive anyway and should be perfect.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 22, 2011 10:22

if it were my blank USB stick i'd demand a replacement with the advertised footage/photos
that was (for me) the primary attraction of that set

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 22, 2011 10:34

I'm very curious about the USB stick as well. Can anyone confirm there is acually media on it?

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: December 22, 2011 13:04

Pics or it didn't happen!

Date: December 22, 2011 16:18

frankotero
I'm very curious about the USB stick as well. Can anyone confirm there is acually media on it?

That's the first thing I did when I unpacked the box, take the lipstick tube out of the package and insert it into my computer. Totally blank, has approx. 1 gb of storage space on it. Bummer.

Date: December 22, 2011 21:02

hypnohighball
frankotero

That's the first thing I did when I unpacked the box, take the lipstick tube out of the package and insert it into my computer. Totally blank, has approx. 1 gb of storage space on it. Bummer.

You could rip the cd's onto your computer, and then put them right on the USB stick.

That could make you feel way better.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 22, 2011 21:17

treaclefingers
silkcut1978_

HOWEVER,

thumbs upthumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home