Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gimme Shelter Percussion
Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: December 14, 2011 17:32

Hello there fellow Stones Fans

Gime Shelter is perhaps one of my top 3 Stones Songs of all time, both Live (with M.Taylor & Wyman) and recorded versions.

One thing I'm after though is what IS that scraping sound most noticeable at the beginning on the intro bit?
I've been told, it's a washboard, its a guiro, a latin guiro - if its a guiro what type/kind/size is it?

i've tried finding what this is but believe me, i havent found 'the sound' yet, their normally to shrill and small sounding or just not right

any help will be gratefully recieved

Re: Gimme Shelter Percussion
Date: December 14, 2011 17:43

I thought it was African.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 14, 2011 17:51

ah the parts of that song are amazing

its probably a wooden guiro..

Jagger's harp blasts still get me...

that intro..

Merry Clayton's voice breaking..

Keith's solo..

the drums..

what a song!

Date: December 14, 2011 18:08

steel driving hammer

aha - am abit puzzled tho, how do you mean tho? african what

defo great song - Merry Clayton's voice WOW! solo drums, GREAT song

Date: December 14, 2011 18:29

Captainchaos
steel driving hammer

The guiro was (and still is) a native instrument used by the Arawaks, the native people living in most part of the Caribbean at the time of colonization. Arawaks use the guiro in their dance and music rituals called "Areytos", which they use to organize for a wide variety of purposes and reasons. After colonization, the guiro was adopted by the new culture born of the mixture of spanish colonizers, African slaves and native Caribbean people. It is widely used on the making of typical Caribbean music, and as is, it is another example of an Arawak cultural custom that survive and was adopted by the emerging social groups that emerge on the Caribbean after the conquest and colonization by European powers, like The Rolling Stones.

Here's an older model.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-14 18:34 by steel driving hammer.

Date: December 14, 2011 18:44

steel driving hammer
Captainchaos
steel driving hammer

The guiro was (and still is) a native instrument used by the Arawaks, the native people living in most part of the Caribbean at the time of colonization. Arawaks use the guiro in their dance and music rituals called "Areytos", which they use to organize for a wide variety of purposes and reasons. After colonization, the guiro was adopted by the new culture born of the mixture of spanish colonizers, African slaves and native Caribbean people. It is widely used on the making of typical Caribbean music, and as is, it is another example of an Arawak cultural custom that survive and was adopted by the emerging social groups that emerge on the Caribbean after the conquest and colonization by European powers, like The Rolling Stones.

Here's an older model.

that looks amazing! great pic!
Any good at the Gimme Shelter sound tho? the fish ones sound too weak an light and the metal ones sound, well, metal if you get me?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 14, 2011 18:57

possibly more like this one...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 14, 2011 19:04

Guiro with wood stick:

Mathijs

Date: December 14, 2011 19:49

brill work there people! i hadnt really considered the sty;le of the stick as much as the style of the guiro

cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1324
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home