Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
The Black Crowes
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 26, 2011 20:55

Well some of these guys early stuff is about the only other music I know that has successfully put the love and fear of raw rock and roll into my bones.

I don't have much to say about them. One story from a festival I did with them in Monterey County CA, lots of good weed in the tent sort of thing, nice felllows in the southern country boy tradition, they shared their weed! lol.

Anybody have some good stories or musical moments from these chaps to share with us. This board is getting too same ole topics anyway. thanks and peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-27 18:58 by Naturalust.

Re: The Black Crowes
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 26, 2011 21:00

i never understood why they spelled their name wrong

Date: November 26, 2011 21:00

They COULD of carried the torch you know...

Date: November 26, 2011 21:01

StonesTod
i never understood why they spelled their name wrong

I could say the same thing about us bro! lol

Date: November 26, 2011 21:06

steel driving hammer
They COULD of carried the torch you know...

thats a mouthful for thought..indeed. Something to do with Chuck Leavelle piano on that first record perhaps.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 26, 2011 23:47

It seems every time I see the Black Crowes, Jimmy Page is a guest on encores (Paris '95 and London '11). I saw them in Paris in 2001 and they were just so loud...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 27, 2011 02:10

One of America's best bands, if not the best we've ever produced.....Absolutely love The Black Crowes. Not sure what it is about Georgia, but several of my favorite artists hail from there: The Crowes, REM, Third Day, and Alan Jackson.

Date: November 27, 2011 02:18

VoodooLounge13
One of America's best bands, if not the best we've ever produced......

the crowes, to a man, would laugh at that suggestion

Date: November 27, 2011 05:20

Well, we're all entitled to our own opinions......I prefer British bands myself, so it's not that hard for me to say. Aerosmith, while good, have always been a bit overrated in my book. Not a Grateful Dead fan, and small doses of Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers go a long way for me. The only other one to even come close and result in a coin toss would be REM. But again, that's my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-27 05:25 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 27, 2011 06:28

VoodooLounge, "Third Day"?? Interesting . . . Don't hear much about them on this board.

Date: November 27, 2011 15:05

DaveG
VoodooLounge, "Third Day"?? Interesting . . . Don't hear much about them on this board.

quack. pity the bruins next week?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 27, 2011 15:32

Naturalust

If you are going to talk about my County grounds, you gotta spell it right.
Its not Monterrey, its Monterey.

I enjoy the Crowes. They lack direction sometimes, but damn those Teles sound good!

I've always wanted to hear their take on "What Now My Love"

Date: November 27, 2011 15:39

Munichhilton
Naturalust

i think it's a fitting misspelling (or i should say mispelling) for a thread devoted to a misspelled band name.

Date: November 27, 2011 15:41

DaveG

Yes, absolutely love Third Day. Great music, great message. Recently saw them in concert finally. Front Row and caught a drum stick at the end!!! All for only $175 - can't beat that!! And that includes the Wired membership to get early access to the best seats.......

I did forget about the Beach Boys, but there again, other than Pet Sounds and Still Cruisin' small doses of them go a long way.

The Eagles I also forgot about, and in all likelihood would probably garner my vote for the top US band....

I don't count Bruce because he's done just as much solo stuff, but it is the E Street Band, so under that premise, then Bruce would win hands down......

It's complicated LOL

Date: November 27, 2011 15:48

StonesTod
Munichhilton
Naturalust

i think it's a fitting misspelling (or i should say mispelling) for a thread devoted to a misspelled band name.

It does sorta make sense Tod?!?!.
But then again I say or spell Humperdinck...

Date: November 27, 2011 15:48

VoodooLounge13
Well, we're all entitled to our own opinions......I prefer British bands myself, so it's not that hard for me to say. Aerosmith, while good, have always been a bit overrated in my book. Not a Grateful Dead fan, and small doses of Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers go a long way for me. The only other one to even come close and result in a coin toss would be REM. But again, that's my opinion.

yes, it is. and the crowes' opinions are theirs, too.

Date: November 27, 2011 15:49

By the way the Best American band hands down is the Mighty Dukes.
Hands up its The Guilty Dogs.

Otherwise take Elvis and be happy.

Yes. America produced Elvis.
I know.

Take a minute

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: November 27, 2011 15:52

saw them 3 times last summer (vigevano and 2 amsterdam) and they were the best concerts i have seen since many years.
I love them, they are what i like in these days .. rock, jam, freedom, a taste of the band, little feat, stones, delaney and bonnie, faces, hippy feelings, great setlists.... i hope i will have more chances to see them here in europe.
i think in 3-4 years maximum thet'll be back

Date: November 27, 2011 18:14

StonesTod, yes, pity the Bruins. I'm still smarting over the loss to USC. They had the ball, were driving, and had over a minute left. It was a perfect script for the Ducks. Butbad play calling and poor kicking did them in.

VoodooLounge, I agree, Third Day has written some uplifting music. A very talented group.

Love the Beach Boys, saw them last summer (well, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston and some other musicians) but a great show.

Date: November 27, 2011 18:39

DaveG
StonesTod, yes, pity the Bruins. I'm still smarting over the loss to USC. They had the ball, were driving, and had over a minute left. It was a perfect script for the Ducks. Butbad play calling and poor kicking did them in.

sc was the better team...i got no prob with the loss. sc wishes they were in our shoes...er webfeet...or something...we're looking at a three-peat of the conf title...a first...that's something to get ducky about. new weasel might just think about taking the noble way out and forfeiting.

Date: November 27, 2011 18:43

Yes, USC was the better team. They'll be scary next year but so will Oregon.

Date: November 27, 2011 18:46

DaveG
Yes, USC was the better team. They'll be scary next year but so will Oregon.

was and is...their manhandling of ucla last night was ruthless. granted the bruins stink out loud, but still. we go down to play troy next year...one to circle for both teams. i got a feeling lamichael might return...but even if not, they need to get black mamba the ball more...the kid is the second coming of reggie bush....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 27, 2011 19:45

VoodooLounge13
One of America's best bands, if not the best we've ever produced.....Absolutely love The Black Crowes. Not sure what it is about Georgia, but several of my favorite artists hail from there: The Crowes, REM, Third Day, and Alan Jackson.

Otis, Little Richard, James Brown, etc. - don't forget these great Georgia musicians.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: November 27, 2011 19:48

Elmo Lewis
VoodooLounge13

Otis, Little Richard, James Brown, etc. - don't forget these great Georgia musicians.

ahem. no mention of blind willie mctell?

Date: November 27, 2011 22:45

StonesTod
Elmo Lewis
VoodooLounge13

ahem. no mention of blind willie mctell?

Sure
Ain't It Grand To Be A Christian Dyin' a Crapshooter's Blues

Date: November 28, 2011 00:16

Elmo Lewis
VoodooLounge13

Wow, Elmo, I had no idea that they were all from Georgia, too! What is in the water down there?!?!!?

Date: November 28, 2011 03:44

I think the reason the Crowes will not go down as one of the great bands in Rock'n Roll lore is that they can't really write songs. Yeah, sure they write decent enough songs for them to jam, and at times shine on; they make good albums with very little filler, but also hardly any transcendent moments. Something truly stellar.
Has anyone ever heard of anyone covering a Crowes song? On the other hand, the Crowes are probably the best cover band in USA.
The Robinson bothers have the songwriting locked up, and this might hurt them. They have had members who IMo they should have stuck with; and tunred to for co-writing. Marc Ford comes to mind.
So - great band, yes.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 28, 2011 03:49

VoodooLounge13

No, not the best we've ever produced. Maybe the 147th best, or 78th best, or something, but not "the best".

Date: November 28, 2011 03:50

Palace Revolution 2000
I think the reason the Crowes will not go down as one of the great bands in Rock'n Roll lore is that they can't really write songs. Yeah, sure they write decent enough songs for them to jam, and at times shine on; they make good albums with very little filler, but also hardly any transcendent moments. Something truly stellar.
Has anyone ever heard of anyone covering a Crowes song? On the other hand, the Crowes are probably the best cover band in USA.
The Robinson bothers have the songwriting locked up, and this might hurt them. They have had members who IMo they should have stuck with; and tunred to for co-writing. Marc Ford comes to mind.
So - great band, yes.

first you say not a great band. then you say a great band. i get the feeling you have difficulty with life's little decisions.

Date: November 28, 2011 10:39

StonesTod
Palace Revolution 2000
So - great band, yes.

first you say not a great band. then you say a great band. i get the feeling you have difficulty with life's little decisions.

Haha,, it's those annoying 'words' things that get in the way of my point. Does anything get past you?
That does look back-up-wards written the way I got it. I'd actually had a lot more at the end, but it sounded so high and mighty that I just cut it all off. The point was that - yes, as a band, a band who can jam like few others, they are way good; e.g. what they did with Page was outstanding. They almost sounded better live than Led Zep. Still - they could never have created that very same catalogue of music.
So in original post the emphasis was on 'great' in first sentence, but on 'band' in second.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home