Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Detroit '69
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: October 24, 2011 20:33

Interviewer: What has been your most memorable or inspirational gig and why?
Iggy Pop: Rolling Stones, 1969, Olympia Arena, Detroit, Michigan. Because of the brazen audacity with which the beat was unhurried and the guitar sound was entirely unsweetened. It was like a heroin pie in your face.
(from the magazine "Exclaim")

I stumbled across this comment and post it because I feel it hits the mark so squarely. "...the brazen audacity with which the beat was unhurried..."

I like the "unsweetened" guitar sound comment as well. I know exactly what he means. Keith, especially, on that tour was direect, honest and classic.

No cheap thrills on that tour. The band had the courage to make its musical statement in its own way. THAT was a confident band. "...brazen audacity..." indeed!

Re: Detroit '69
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 24, 2011 20:38

The audacity: Keith's guitar sound is unsurpassed here and Taylor on solo guitar. Or was it the other way around cool smiley

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: October 24, 2011 20:38

Olympia Stadium - The Old Red Barn

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 24, 2011 20:45

"It was like a heroin pie in your face."

Oh man!

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: October 24, 2011 20:47

Back when there was no Internet and no file uploading, I searched for years before finding a vinyl copy of the boot 'We Never Really Got It On 'Till Detroit' in a used record store. Fabulous concert. Keith's guitar on JJF is monstrous, and the audience is into it from the very first moment. They periodically break into cheers and clapping in time during the accoustic numbers, SFTD, and more. A great, great performance. Very cool to know that Iggy Pop was there.

Date: October 24, 2011 21:39

One other comment about that show: It is my hypothesis that Detroit was the first show where Taylor's SFTD solo was scripted in. One of the Oakland shows is the only known exception, but that solo may have been extemporaneous. Perhaps that solo had something to do with Jagger's comment about the show.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: October 24, 2011 22:00

They had a week off between Chicago on the 16th and Detroit on the 24th.
They must have rehearsed a bit, I think.
Most significant changes in the shows from Detroit on:

1. they play better!

2. Honky Tonk Women has now only two verses

3. Mick Taylor solos on Sympathy

but the way the solos in Sympathy are performed in Detroit, it still sound a bit shaky to me!

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: October 25, 2011 02:24

The SFTD from this show circulated in the past on VHS, but no one seems to have it these days.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 02:57

ahhhhh, yes the days when an audience listened and didn't sing along at the top of their lungs

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 25, 2011 03:02

My first ever bootleg!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 25, 2011 03:59

Amsterdamned
The audacity: Keith's guitar sound is unsurpassed here and Taylor on solo guitar. Or was it the other way around cool smiley

Triple thanks due here...

Thanks to Amsterdamned for pointing here...

Thanks to whomever posted these to Youtube.

BIG THANKS to the Stones for being cool and
leaving so much great music up on Youtube. Some
bands (e.g. Tom Petty) seem to not allow anything
to stay up on Youtube, so thank you very much Mick and Keith... that is awesome.

bunch of Stones from Nov 24, 1969 [www.youtube.com]

I like this one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-25 04:08 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: October 25, 2011 11:45

My fave '69 boot: a stereo audience recording - a rarity - with fantastic atmosphere. Heroin pie in your face should have been the title... Fine words by Iggy!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: October 25, 2011 11:47

And It might be the very first quote by Jagger I can remember, although at the time I didn't even know what it meant: "We never really got it on until Detroit".

Re the Iggy quote, and the "unhurried beat"; this is IMO a vital ingredient in the 69 tour make-up: the Stones were really relaxed in the groove; wasn't at all about faster, faster but trying to find the proper niche.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-25 11:50 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: October 25, 2011 16:54

Great quote, great photos, great clips, great thread

I have two copies of this show on vinyl. Both are 2 LP sets. One copy was bought in Coventry, UK thirty years ago and has incredibly thick vinyl. The other was given to me by a poster named jaii (he sells a lot on the buy/sell/trade forum). I haven't listened to either copy in ages so I don't know the quality.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 25, 2011 17:05

Let us hope that they recorded the show for later release ...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 25, 2011 17:57

pmk251
I stumbled across this comment and post it because I feel it hits the mark so squarely. "...the brazen audacity with which the beat was unhurried..."

Think I stumbled accross this comment as well.....

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 25, 2011 18:03

Posted by: stones69 ()
Date: October 25, 2011 21:43

Misterfrias

Are you interested in selling one of your 2 LP sets? I've been looking for that record a loooong time.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: October 26, 2011 02:09

Good thread. I had a picture of them at that gig as my wallpaper with the speakers with horns stacked up on the sides of the stage. Revolution in sound.

Date: October 26, 2011 03:58

stones69
Misterfrias

Are you interested in selling one of your 2 LP sets? I've been looking for that record a loooong time.

No, sorry, stones69. I will keep an eye out for it, though.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: October 26, 2011 04:31

Smokey
The SFTD from this show circulated in the past on VHS, but no one seems to have it these days.
Don't have it but saw it at someone else's house. Very cool but lots of glitches. I didn't even want a copy. It doesn't seem to be up on YouTube; only audio.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: October 26, 2011 04:34

stones69
Misterfrias

If you're willing to settle for a single LP version, from one of the worst bootleg companies ever: [www.ebay.com]

Date: October 26, 2011 05:40

Erik_Snow
pmk251

Think I stumbled accross this comment as well.....

It is hard not to step in your footprints (said with much appreciation).

Date: October 26, 2011 16:25

Thanks, I have that LP; I'm looking for the 2LP that misterfrias has. Misterfrias?

Date: October 26, 2011 22:33

stones69
Thanks, I have that LP; I'm looking for the 2LP that misterfrias has. Misterfrias?

Go back about five posts.

Date: October 27, 2011 00:06

Thank you misterfrias

Date: October 27, 2011 21:23

NorthShoreBlues2
ahhhhh, yes the days when an audience listened and didn't sing along at the top of their lungs

Or make calls on their cell phones!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 28, 2011 01:02

I really love this show --

Date: November 29, 2011 03:31

stones69
Misterfrias

E-mail me if you are still interested in this item and possibly others, stones69.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 29, 2011 08:59

i will be with iggy thursday night - i printed these quotes to ask him about it - what amazing words

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home