Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Does anyone play the harmonica that can help?
Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: November 21, 2011 15:32

Does anybody know what kind of Harmonica Mick Jagger used on Gimme Shelter and did it have any kind of attachment on it? I don't know anything about Harmonica's but after hearing Jagger on that track I would like to learn to play one but I'm not sure what to ask for in the shop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-21 15:35 by Paul Kersey.

Re: Does anyone play the harmonica that can help?
Posted by: R ()
Date: November 21, 2011 15:51

In that era it was likely a Hohner Marine Band. Their Blues Harp model came along later. I'm pretty sure he uses Lee Oskars now.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: November 21, 2011 16:06

How do you bend notes, wanna play like Brian on Not Fade Away. Any tutorials for a total newbie?

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: November 21, 2011 16:07

I would think a marine band will sound like Dylan
And what you need is a blues harp.

Good luck with it, I play mine all the time.

You could give these guys a call to ask.

[www.hohnerusa.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-21 16:10 by M4000D.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: November 21, 2011 16:33

Thanks for your help guys! Much appreciated smiling smiley

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 21, 2011 16:37

Sure you could ask Pierre de Beauport directly [www.facebook.com]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 21, 2011 17:29

DiscoVolante
How do you bend notes, wanna play like Brian on Not Fade Away. Any tutorials for a total newbie?

You must first learn to play standard notes cleanly using either your breath focused to one hole on the harp or your tongue covering holes on one side and the side of your mouth covering the other. This will take time and practice. Try covering the holes to both sides of a given hole with your fingers. Listen to the note played cleanly. Then replace the finger on one side with your tongue. After you can play cleanly with your finger and tongue, remove the other finger and use the side of your mouth in its place.

Once you can play single notes in a series, cleanly, you will find it easy to distort your mouth, tongue and breathing to create blues "bends." If you have the feel for it, it will come very easily. The harp is a very primal instrument. Play along with records.

A poster above suggested using a Hohner Blues Harp which is little different than a Marine Band. The covers are lower resulting in a bit more compressed sound. The Blues Harp would be easier than the Marine Band to accomplish what you want to do and they only cost a dollar or two more. HOWEVER, until you become proficient at playing single notes, cleanly in series, you might as well stick with a $10-$12 beginner's harp. Hohner makes one called BLUES BAND, as I recall.

Finally, you will need to play through a microphone and into an amp to get neaar the sound Mick and Brian both got. Because they were them and you are you it's unlikely you'll be able to replicate their sound precisely. Such is the personal and primal nature of the harmonica in rock'n'blues applications.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1598
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home