Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds at the Beacon last night
Posted by: micwer ()
Date: November 15, 2011 18:36

Anybody else was there?
I thought it was a pretty solid set, excellent new songs and some great covers of Oasis' hits.

Just a thought: the guy has been playing the same exact set of 19-20 songs since he's started touring a month ago. Funny how nobody is complaining that he's not changing it up every night... Maybe the Stones' community is extra demanding?

Re: OT: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds at the Beacon last night
Date: November 15, 2011 18:38

True Stones fans are extra everything!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 15, 2011 18:41

Solid new CD from the man.
Some of those songs outshine the best Oasis output.

No dates in Texas yet...Beacon would've been fun.

I wouldn't expect any set-list mix-ups from Noel.
I have seen Oasis multiple times and their set never ever changed during tours. I think there are a whole host of bands that are much more comfortable repeating the well rehearsed and well thought out. Still, Noel will toss in an acoustic surprise without the band now and again...

Sounds like a good show!

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: November 15, 2011 18:51

Some clips from last night:

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: November 15, 2011 19:11

I like the album, good stuff, better than most recent Oasis releases

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 15, 2011 21:00

micwer
Anybody else was there?
I thought it was a pretty solid set, excellent new songs and some great covers of Oasis' hits.

Just a thought: the guy has been playing the same exact set of 19-20 songs since he's started touring a month ago. Funny how nobody is complaining that he's not changing it up every night... Maybe the Stones' community is extra demanding?

Maybe theyve a right to be as he only has one solo album to his name and (correct me if I'm wrong) the only Oasis songs hes playing are the ones he sang on?

Doesnt exactly leave much scope for mixing up setlists. Compared to a band that has, oh, 360 released songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-16 00:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: November 15, 2011 22:59

Has anyone got his solo record? I got it a few eels back and it's really very good. It's a lot better than the later Oasis stuff and is certainly superior to Liam's Beady Eye album. I like the fact that he plays a few Oasis songs in concert too. He did a great acoustic version of Supersonic for a BBC Radio 2 gig a few weeks back:

I hope the album does well in America. It was certainly well received over here.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: November 15, 2011 23:28

I'm a big Noel fan but I gotta admit that what I've heard from the new album (4-5 songs) doesn't do much for me. It's getting pretty tepid reviews-lots of 2 1/2 stars in MOJO, Uncut and such. I've heard about the same number of tunes from the Beady Eye album and I actually like it better. It certainly sounds more fun.

Having said that, I'd still love to see this tour. I'm sure it's a great night out.

Date: November 15, 2011 23:32

andrewm
I'm a big Noel fan but I gotta admit that what I've heard from the new album (4-5 songs) doesn't do much for me. It's getting pretty tepid reviews-lots of 2 1/2 stars in MOJO, Uncut and such. I've heard about the same number of tunes from the Beady Eye album and I actually like it better. It certainly sounds more fun.

Having said that, I'd still love to see this tour. I'm sure it's a great night out.

Almost all of the reviews that I have read were around the four-stars mark. I think that's rather fair. That whole Radio 2 show that I posted part of was available on TV recently and it was also very good. From the videos I've seen on YouTube, the live shows look quite good as well. The fans already seem to know a lot of the words to the new songs so that makes for a good atmosphere.

He's actually playing a few gigs in my hometown in February but I think I've left it too late to get tickets.

Date: November 15, 2011 23:36

I'm only seeing positive reviews right now.
I think the CD is too short, but there are only 2 songs on it I don't think are up to standards.

Dream On and Gun are instant classics, and its hard not to sing along to Everybody's On The Run...

Date: November 15, 2011 23:55

Guess I'm only seeing the middling reviews but I haven't seen one overly positive one. The headline for the MOJO (or was it UNCUT?) review declared "Liam 1, Noel 0". The one I read in the Globe and Mail (Canadian mainstream media) opined that he sounded tired and spent.

Trust me, I really want to like it, I'll give the full album a thorough listen. Definitely not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I guess my favourite Noel songs have always been the anthemic rockers as opposed to the more "thoughtful" numbers. I just think he does them better. It's all about the big hook for me when it comes to his songwriting.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 15, 2011 23:56

micwer
Anybody else was there?

Lol, ask again in say 20 or 30 years from now.

that album was released stl. four weeks ago? confused smiley

Date: November 16, 2011 00:16

Munichhilton
I'm only seeing positive reviews right now.
I think the CD is too short, but there are only 2 songs on it I don't think are up to standards.

Dream On and Gun are instant classics, and its hard not to sing along to Everybody's On The Run...

I don't mind the record being a bit short. It's 10 songs and about 45 minutes long, so is Sticky Fingers. I'm not really comparing the two but I think that's pretty standard for an album. There tends to be a trend these days of overpacking albums to make them look like value for money but then I feel you end up with a lot of filler.

Andrewm, the reviews in the UK have been very positive and What A Life is getting loads of radio airplay. However, my favourite track at the moment is (Wanna Live In A Dream) In My Record Machine.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: November 16, 2011 01:20

I saw Oasis twice in the '90s in San Francisco and Noel will be playing at the Orpheum Theater this Saturday. I'll see if I can score a ticket!

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: November 16, 2011 03:38

I really like the new album. Short is good.

Date: November 16, 2011 07:33

Andrewm, the reviews in the UK have been very positive and What A Life is getting loads of radio airplay. However, my favourite track at the moment is (Wanna Live In A Dream) In My Record Machine.[/quote]

Good to hear, will give that one a listen in particular. Like I said, I really wanna like it, didn't like the first single (Death of You and Me?) much, though.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 16, 2011 10:58

Brilliant, and WHAT a contrast to that t**t of a brother of his, just goes to show where the talent always lay within Oasis. Give up Liam, take Beady Eye and shove it ... you ain't a patch on your brother.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 16, 2011 11:22

Great clips, his album is good, maybe I will see him next year.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: November 16, 2011 11:30

I love Oasis since Morning Glroy. Have seen them several times live. Oasis were a great live band.
I'm also digging both solo records. Which one is better? I can't say. I think they are different. It depends on the mood you're in. The Beady Eye record is more like the one "you're going to the pub with your pals" thing. And Noel's is the record for a evening at home on your couch. Does this make any sense? :-)
Nevertheless I'm looking forward to see Noel live this december in Cologne. Hoping to see a great gig.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 16, 2011 11:35

That Radio 2 gig was very good, and I've enjoyed everything I've heard from the solo album so far. I heard this before I knew who it was (though it wasn't hard to guess) and definitely love at first listen:

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 16, 2011 13:29

I think Noel is a great guy, as well as Liam (I've met both on numerous occasions) but I gotta say that Beady Eye on record and live is far superior.

It's like The Winos, I could have them any day but I couldn't stand 3 solo tunes with Mick. If you take away Keith, or Liam, or Townshend, the "dangerous-what-gonna-happen-next" element disappears. Even though Keith and Liam are maybe a bit more Rock N ROll-looking than Pete is these days.

Noel's doing Supersonic live? That's just because of the opening line. He should save it up to the Oasis reunion in 2015.

There are only 3 "white" bands I really care about (buying ALL released stuff, attending numerous gigs on each tour etc etc) and they are Stones, Who and Oasis.

Date: November 16, 2011 16:39

I own both happily, but Noel took the life of Oasis with him.
Liam's voice with Noels songs were my favorite thing about Oasis. 'Be Here Now' 'Cigs & Alc'...the two were perfect for each other.

Now Beady Eye has the look and sound of Oasis, but no hooks. No classics or long lasting songs. High Flyers has outstanding classics and sing along anthems, but not Liam's voice...and therefore lacking the Oasis magic. Definitely a Noel solo outing which is what he wanted. I think Liam wanted to keep the Oasis thing going, but can't write Oasis songs.

Tough one. By the way...does anybody else think 'Stop The Clocks' is the worst song on the CD? Maybe that one could've rocked with Liam.

Also, how would Dream ON and Gun have sounded with Liam on vocals.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: November 16, 2011 17:42

I agree about Stop The Clocks it sounds worryinglylike Coldplay

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: November 16, 2011 19:35

SoulPlunderer
I got it a few eels back ... quote]

Is this a typo or an actual British expression? I love it!

Date: November 16, 2011 19:55

Claire_M
SoulPlunderer
I got it a few eels back ...

Is this a typo or an actual British expression? I love it!

It was a typo. My iPod spell checker is a pain in the arse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home