Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Mick Taylor - Autobiography
Date: November 11, 2007 20:21

Has he ever considered doing this? What with Ronnie's being published and Keiths "on the way" it would be a shame to be the only living Rolling Stones guitarist without such a tome in print. Or is there a risk that it would be more of a pamplet?

Re: Mick Taylor - Autobiography
Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 11, 2007 20:25

Sir Craven of Cottage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has he ever considered doing this? What with
> Ronnie's being published and Keiths "on the way"
> it would be a shame to be the only living Rolling
> Stones guitarist without such a tome in print. Or
> is there a risk that it would be more of a
> pamplet?

Don't think many people outside this board would be intrested to be honest.

Date: November 11, 2007 20:29

Ket Wrote:
> Sir Craven of Cottage Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Has he ever considered doing this? What with
> > Ronnie's being published and Keiths "on the
> way"
> > it would be a shame to be the only living
> Rolling
> > Stones guitarist without such a tome in print.
> Or
> > is there a risk that it would be more of a
> > pamplet?
>
> Don't think many people outside this board would
> be intrested to be honest.

Disagree. Plenty of people write life stories based upon less. If he was willing to do some media to support it their might be public interest.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 11, 2007 20:49

"I Threw It All Away" by Mick Taylor wouldn't be much of a draw. From a personal perspective viewing his choice as one of integrity, I respect him. From the point of view of a celebrity bio, 5 years in a hugely successful band followed by years of obscurity wouldn't likely sell unless he aimed it at a small press that sold online only. That and legal concerns are probably the reason this book would never happen.

Posted by: JK ()
Date: November 11, 2007 20:57

I did an iterview with him in 2003 and then he told that he is going to write an autobiography. That was 4 years ago...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 11, 2007 20:58

I've heard several interviews with Mick & Keith
stating that Taylor officially quit the band,
but I do not recall ever hearing Taylor stating this himself.

Has this ever happened?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 11, 2007 21:02

There's potential there for a very interesting book, it would be great to get some insight in to how he became such a great player so young.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: November 11, 2007 21:13

I, for one, would find a real honest, no-holds-barred autobiography from Mick Taylor fascinating and a must-read. There have been best-sellers based on far flimsier premises than being the lead guitarist for the world's greatest rock and roll band during (arguably, I admit) their absolute peak years...indeed. Let's have it...

Date: November 11, 2007 22:19

"I Threw It All Away" is a Dylan song. The world in general views Taylor as having done just that. I think he has always been a fabulous player and I respect the man for having the courage to do what he did, but it wouldn't work as a mainstream celebrity biography, it would work as a specialty title for a small press catering to rock books. So dreadfully sorry that my stating most of the world would view Mr. Taylor's career decisions as self-destructive caused you to resort to insulting me. If you're Mr. Taylor, then I'm sure you'll understand my sentiments. If you're just an overzealous Mick Taylor fan unable to think outside of your own hero worship, you'll probably never get it. It is possible to view the big picture, try it some time.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: November 11, 2007 22:23

the only problem being that he could fit the last 25 years on about 2 pages- so it would be a little bottom heavy.

OLDKR

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 11, 2007 22:51

"I Threw It all Away" is a good title, however it is pretty prejorative and that probably wouldn't be the case from MT's perspective.

How about "Hits and Misses"
or "Cowritten"
or "The Other Mick"
for possible titles of a Mick Taylor autobiography?

Date: November 12, 2007 00:09

Well he's already used two great titles for solo albums...STRANGER IN THIS TOWN and A STONE'S THROW. If Wyman can reuse a solo album title for an autobiography, why not Mr. Taylor? In fact, Woody should have called his latest book I'VE GOT MY OWN AUTOBIOGRAPHY TO DO.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 12, 2007 00:50

If MT could write his story as well as Eric C. has done his, it would be quite worthwhile but I fear the publishing world would not do him justice.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 12, 2007 02:55

I'd buy it in a heartbeat, and I'm sure many of us here would. Personally, I think his times with the Stones are more interesting than those of Woody's, and I'm also curious about his whereabouts in the second half of the seventies and early eighties. Maybe an autobiography could put more light or weight on all the theories and stories about his split with the Stones and his relations to the other Stones.

But, yes, the question remains if anyone would publish and market it.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: November 12, 2007 05:11

Not to mention, hearing about all the many other talented people Mick's played with over the years!

[p207.ezboard.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 14, 2007 15:39

boo hoo hoo mick taylor walks a way from the stones at their most creative period(let it bleed - its only rock and roll)because he couldnt get a songwriting credit and because he was afraid of all the drugs the stones did . WHAT A FREAKING PUSSY ! a good book from this period of the bands history is UP AND DOWN WITH THE ROLLING STONES BY TONY SANCHEZ.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 14, 2007 17:13

A Taylor autobiography could be a big seller, but only if he wrote in a totally sensationalistic way. Lots of sex and drugs and stories about how they treated him so terribly by not giving him the songwriting credits he deserved and about how they pressured him to quit because they wanted Ronnie in the band, and, of course, lots of moaning and groaning about how Ronnie is now worth over $100 million while Taylor has to schlepp his gear around in a Budget mini-van.

I'd buy a book like that.

Date: November 14, 2007 17:24

Calling the guy a pussy for quitting a band is pretty silly. If Taylor quit over songwriting royalties, he should have seen a solicitor. But if he left because he thought he'd end up another casualty of the lifestyle or because he found the music limiting, good for him. That took guts and showed real integrity. If I had the skills he has on guitar and could have found my way in the door, I would be dead. I would have lived the life till I dropped and most of us would have gone out like Brian. There are days I wish Taylor had come back with he and Woody trading off on bass. There are more days I wish Wyman had stayed. Bottom line is I'm glad the rest of the band stuck with it and I respect Taylor and Wyman for saying enough is enough. You can't force people to stay in an unhappy situation and it really is better if they don't for all concerned.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 15, 2007 02:35

schillid Wrote:
> "I Threw It all Away" is a good title, however it
> is pretty prejorative and that probably wouldn't
> be the case from MT's perspective.
>
> How about "Hits and Misses"
> or "Cowritten"
> or "The Other Mick"
> for possible titles of a Mick Taylor
> autobiography?

Considering his love for Jimi Hendrix, how about "Third Stone From The Sun"?

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 15, 2007 09:56

The Greek Wrote:
> boo hoo hoo mick taylor walks a way from the
> stones at their most creative period(let it bleed
> - its only rock and roll)because he couldnt get a
> songwriting credit and because he was afraid of
> all the drugs the stones did . WHAT A FREAKING
> PUSSY ! a good book from this period of the bands
> history is UP AND DOWN WITH THE ROLLING STONES BY
> TONY SANCHEZ.

Well, the Sanchez book is puerile. I don't know why some people think MT a) should regret his decision to quit or b) feels sorry for himself. In every interview that I have read or seen he has consistently stated that he has no regrets and is happy with what he is doing.
However, as to the topic of the thread. I think MT's book would have reasonably broad appeal in that the stories aren't just about him but his compatriots = Stones, Mayall, jamming with Hendrix, etc
I think it would be a very interesting read and I think MT would give an accurate portrayal of events.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-15 09:57 by terraplane.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: November 15, 2007 10:04

the journalists don't like stones,,stones always been critized(written down by journalists),,

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: November 15, 2007 10:05

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: November 15, 2007 15:02

The Greek Wrote:
> boo hoo hoo mick taylor walks a way from the
> stones at their most creative period(let it bleed
> - its only rock and roll)because he couldnt get a
> songwriting credit and because he was afraid of
> all the drugs the stones did . WHAT A FREAKING
> PUSSY ! a good book from this period of the bands
> history is UP AND DOWN WITH THE ROLLING STONES BY
> TONY SANCHEZ.

Ahem... Mick Taylor walked away from the Stones AFTER their most creative period.

I don't think you're in a position to say anything about Taylor's personal motives for walking out. Even Keith has said he admires Taylor for having the courage to do so.
When Wyman's first book came out Keith said to Taylor: "That's nothing compared to the stories we could tell, is it Mick ?"

The fact that you like Tony Sanchez' book so much, kind of sums it all up for me. Taylor doesn't seem the kind of guy that wants to let the cat out of the bag. Maybe he'll accept an offer from a publisher in the end. He might have to when he's ready to retire from touring since the Stones stopped paying his royalties (for all records released on Rolling Stones Records) in the early 80's.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 15, 2007 19:02

Would be a great read. Hopefully he'll get an offer he can't refuse and do publish his story.

Date: November 15, 2007 20:33

I've read this online before. Is it actual fact Mick Taylor stopped getting performance royalties after the early '80s? I don't even see how he could take a payoff and stop royalties he would earn by having been a band member. What do you do, estimate your lifespan and expected royalties based on 1981 catalog sales to arrive at a payoff figure? Maybe I don't know enough about the business, but this just doesn't sound feasible. He was a full contractual band member, not a paid sideman.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 15, 2007 21:07

mick taylor left the stones high and dry just when they were to begin their tour in support of its only rock and roll album. complete nonsense that they (glimmer twins ) kicked him out in order for ron wood to join the band,when in fact after brian jones died mick jagger asked rod stewart about getting ronnie,and rod stewart responds "OH NO WE ARE A PROPER BAND".

Date: November 15, 2007 21:15

Personally, I've always considered it likely Ronnie's proximity to the Stones at the time was an insurance policy against Keith and not an attempt to replace Mr. Taylor. As for the stories Ronnie loves to tell about Mick Jagger wanting him to join the Stones in 1969, I'd bet my bottom dollar its a load of rubbish.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 15, 2007 21:19

>> after Brian Jones died Mick Jagger asked Rod Stewart about getting Ronnie <<

well ... when Brian died Mick Taylor had already been introduced to the world as the Stones' new guitarist,
so if Jagger really inquired about Ronnie's availability, it seems like it must have been earlier than that.
(and the way the story goes, it was Ronnie Lane, not Rod Stewart, that he supposedly spoke with,
and who supposedly told him "Ronnie's quite happy where he is". but anyway!)

>> Is it actual fact Mick Taylor stopped getting performance royalties after the early '80s? <<

i have no idea, but i don't find it difficult to imagine either. selling rights for a flat sum
instead of opting to wait for royalties to trickle in over the decades can be a very attractive proposal,
especially if you've got some concrete use for a chunk of money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-15 21:37 by with sssoul.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: November 15, 2007 21:37

> >> Is it actual fact Mick Taylor stopped getting
> performance royalties after the early '80s? <<

It seems to be even earlier than 80s. Bill Wyman said in an interview with German (well,interview!) magazine "Galore" in late 2004 that Taylor sold his rights whereas he kept them. To quote (translated, of course) Wyman: "Then, he wanted to be bought out for a certain amount of money; something he doesn't want to know about, today. I didn't do that. I was a bit cleverer (laughs)." That makes it even worse to erase Wyman from the Rarities album.

Date: November 15, 2007 22:05

Thanks for that. Never knew you could do that and I'm still curious how a figure is reached for a buy-out. As far as Wyman is concerned, don't be so sure that his exclusion isn't mutually agreeable. Bill was a shareholder in Promotone and bought back the rights to his first two solo albums a few years ago. There may be a requirement to pay Bill for his likeness to be used since leaving the band. In that event, he may completely understand and support the decision to remove him from archival photos when re-used for compilation CDs. They aren't rewriting history, just hanging onto as much of the pot as possible.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1659
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home