Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ed Sullivan Shows from SOFA
Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: November 6, 2011 03:23

Just wanted to say that I just purchased the 6 show set by SOFA and it looks & Sounds great. I have been watching it for years on boots and now SOFA has finally done The Stones justice. This release is sure to be a fan favorite for years to come.

I wish ABKCO would take the hint and put out a DVD of The Roling Stones TV appearances. It's amazing that ABKCO has one of the most popular bands in history and yet they choose to store away a treasure chest of material.
I also find it amazing that they can't sell one of the Greatest and Most Popular Bands of All Time!!

WEll, over the last 30 years I have figured out that ABKCO is completely inept, I guess that the only way we will ever see or hear anything new is if a company (like sofa) buys the footage and then pays ABKCO to clear the rights fror the music. ABKCO refuses to follow logic and realize that as long as the stuff remains unreleased the more the bootleg market thrives. Release the material and destroy the sales of bootlegs and at the same time MAKE A PROFIT FROM THE FANS WHO HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR 30 YEARS TO SPEND THEIR MONEY ON THE ROLLING STONES!!!

What boggles my mind is the fact that ABKCO owns the rights to all the Stones 60s promo films (and of course the music) and yet they only released a few of these films..Why not just release the rest....2000 light years...Child of the moon...THe Other Have you seen your mother..PUZZLING?

And what about Charlie is My Darling? THey own the film & Music..????? ABKCO..WHAT ARE YOU DOING???

What about the TRUE STEREO MIXES..THERE ARE ABOUT 30 SONGS RECORDED IN TRUE STEREO...WHY RELEASE ONLY 6 OVER 30 YEARS!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!

SOULSURVIVOR

PS: With the 50th anniversary coming soon this would be the time for ABKCO to do something great and atone for 30 years of fumbling around. I seriously hope that they realize that they must release material from the vaults and give us something that we have never heard or seen before. A repackaging job of 60s records without some sort of bonus material such as outakes and /or unreleased songs would extremely disappointing.

If they decided to release all the songs in their vaults in TRUE STEREO they would kill the sales of bootlegs as well as make a mint on sales. Satisfaction & Get Off My Cloud would sound fantastic as well as As Tears Go By PLay With Fire Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man Mercy Mercy Cry To Me 19th nervous Breakdown, THe Last Time ETC... OOH THE POSSIBILITIES!!

Hey ABKCO...AS THe Song Says" WE ARE WAiting!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-06 03:23 by soulsurvivor1.

Re: Ed Sullivan Shows from SOFA
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: November 6, 2011 04:11

You're preaching to the choir.
An expanded 25 x 5 would be cool too.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 6, 2011 04:14

hallelujah!

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: November 6, 2011 13:07

I"m with you 100% Soulsurvivor.

I've been preaching this for years myself. I have even told ABKCO about some of my ideas, which they thought were great, only to be told "we can't do it". No, they can do it they just don't want to spend the money.

I remember about 5 years ago they told me they were going to be putting out a DVD of all the Stones TV appearances from the 60s. Of course after several months they shelved the project because they said it was to expensive to clear the rights to the footage. I have no doubt that it costs a lot of money to clear the rights for footage, but ABKCO owns most of the music that will be used, so they're actually saving money. And, they will be killing the sales of bootlegs as well. They complain about the bootleg market and the fact that stuff is on YouTube. Well, I don't know what to tell them. Unfortunately there is no way of stopping it. It seems like most Stones material on the bootleg market covering the 60s catalog is what they have in their vaults on refuse to release: Charlie Is My Darling, true stereo mixes, promo films, TV appearances, live recordings, etc, etc. From what I hear ABKCO has the original master prints of most TV appearances from the 60s. The actual raw footage before the networks overdubbed the fake audience cheering, including their 1965 appearance on Shindig before the network bleeped the line "trying to make some girl", plus outtakes of various TV shows. Amazing stuff just sitting in their vaults collecting dust.

An employee at ABKCO once told me the reason why ABKCO will not release anything in true stereo is because it was the mono versions that were hits and the mono versions are the one's people remember. But ABKCO can release remixes of "Sympathy For The Devil," "I'm Free," and "You Can't Always Get What You Want," by Fatboy Slim and The Neptunes which sounds nothing like the way they were originally released. They can put this crap out over strue stereo mixes? Totally baffling. This label is run by total morons who have no clue what they are doing.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 6, 2011 13:15

The fact that ABKCO doesn't do a thing might be an indicator that they don't give a sh*t about their customers. Just like all big record companies.
Anyway, if it's so difficult to clear the rights to this type of thing how did SOFA do it?

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: November 6, 2011 13:35

Whale,

I forgot to mention that. ABKCO can do exactly what Sofa Entertainment just did. Sofa owns the footage to the Ed Sullivan show. All they had to do was clear the rights with ABKCO to use the music and the other artists who performed on the show. With ABKCO it's reversed, all they have to do is clear the rights to the footage because they own the music. Apparently they don't like spending money. You're right, it's the same thing. Excellent point.

Date: November 7, 2011 19:53

Whale
The fact that ABKCO doesn't do a thing might be an indicator that they don't give a sh*t about their customers. Just like all big record companies.
Anyway, if it's so difficult to clear the rights to this type of thing how did SOFA do it?

I'd say that it would be more of a case of they don't have the business savvy to wring more out of their most valuable asset. They appear lazy.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 7, 2011 19:59

i've already watched all those ed sullivan shows from my sofa...don't see the big deal here...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 7, 2011 20:55

Sooooo you can get the 1 dvd with four shows for 15 bucks(amazon) or 2 dvds with 6 show but its twice the price. The funny thing is they left off the FIRST appearance and the last one of the 1 disc set. real fair marketing,huh? They must be taking tips from Scorpio!!

Date: November 7, 2011 21:22

StonesTod
i've already watched all those ed sullivan shows from my sofa...don't see the big deal here...

Unfortunately you'd have had to have taken polaroids of the TV screen and used a cassette recorder for the audio in order to replicate the original experience.

The question is, did you plan accordingly when you first saw them air?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 7, 2011 21:23

treaclefingers
StonesTod

Unfortunately you'd have had to have taken polaroids of the TV screen and used a cassette recorder for the audio in order to replicate the original experience.

who needs replication when the original event is so firmly etched in ones' memory?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home