Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Longest Cocktail Party
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 30, 2011 21:50

I heard Andrew Loog Oldham on his radioshow praising the book. There is a movie in the making based on the book. Anybody has read it and has an opinion? I may end up bying that thing. Thank you
[en.wikipedia.org]
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Re: OT: The Longest Cocktail Party
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 31, 2011 00:23

I read it long ago several times, to the point that the paperback literally fell apart -- highly recommended.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 31, 2011 00:24

I have the book-- I read it decades agos-- it's by Richard DiLello, who moved from New York to London in the late 60's and wound up working at Apple Records as the "House Hippie" in Derek Taylor's division. Very funny book, great Beatle stories, good insight to the inner workings of Apple. Worth a read for sure.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 31, 2011 01:20

Great book. Still one of the finest of its kind.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 31, 2011 06:20

I only read the bits where the Beatles were most prominent, which were interesting.

One amusing thing was the Beatles started the long hair trend, and Richard DiLello's (who had long hair) first experience with George Harrison was George walking into an Apple office and backing out in a panic at the sight of DiLello's long hair. The woman with DeLillo said, "George had a bad experience with long-haired hippies in San Francisco." And elsewhere, McCartney comments disparagingly about some guy's long hair in a pub.

But it's not very well written.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-31 06:26 by Title5Take1.

Date: October 31, 2011 08:23

>I only read the bits where the Beatles were most prominent, which were interesting.

(insert rolling eye emoticon here)

>But it's not very well written.

I disagree but you've already disqualified yourself as a reputable reviewer, as by your own admission you only sampled the book.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 31, 2011 08:36

Glam Descendant
>I only read the bits where the Beatles were most prominent, which were interesting.

(insert rolling eye emoticon here)

>But it's not very well written.

I disagree but you've already disqualified yourself as a reputable reviewer, as by your own admission you only sampled the book.

One doesn't have to drink a whole cask of wine to comment on its contents.

Date: October 31, 2011 08:42

Oh please, it's a book -- either you've read it or you haven't.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home