Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones "Breaking Down Barriers" with their Music
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 27, 2011 20:05

The first thing I always notice about a Rolling Stones crowd is everyone feels equal.The Stones are good at "breaking down barriers" and making people feel at ease and equal and I would imagine it would be no different if you were to meet them as well.smileys with beer

Re: The Stones "Breaking Down Barriers" with their Music
Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: October 27, 2011 20:10

there is nothing unique about a Rolling Stones crowd. every concert by every band i have ever seen has consisted of people of various backgrounds/colour/height/weight/level of income etc...

colonial, you're really scraping at the bottom of the barrel here. how exactly are they "good at breaking down barriers"? how do they make people "feel at ease"?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 27, 2011 20:14

why do i always feel taller and better than everyone else at a stones show? well, except when bill walton's there...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 27, 2011 21:39

>>The Stones "Breaking Down Barriers" with their Music<<

They got some pretty big barriers between the stage and row 1.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 27, 2011 21:41

Then why does Mick actually say, "baby please STOP breakin' down".

Colonial, I think you've really messed up this one.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: October 27, 2011 21:58

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 27, 2011 22:47

Doesn't KR have some choice quotes on music (not just the Stones) breaking down barriers where he referenced Eastern Europe and also referred to music (trumpets, etc) as bringing down the walls of Jericho?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 28, 2011 00:52

ineedadrink
there is nothing unique about a Rolling Stones crowd. every concert by every band i have ever seen has consisted of people of various backgrounds/colour/height/weight/level of income etc...

colonial, you're really scraping at the bottom of the barrel here. how exactly are they "good at breaking down barriers"? how do they make people "feel at ease"?

By having the same number of black people on the stage as there is in the audience.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 28, 2011 06:39

Breaking down barriers? People feel equal? Utter nonsense.

The price scale for Stones tickets is essentially a form of class warfare! Only rich people can afford to sit in the best seats and see multiple shows. Regular folks have a choice: get more affordable inferior seats or see fewer shows. The hoi polloi who are 100 yards away in a stadium sure don't feel equal to the high rollers in the front rows.

Posted by: ImDeRankOutsider ()
Date: October 28, 2011 09:07

Well i don't know many black people that listen to stones music...

can't imagine rich folks listening to stones that much either. probably more into Manilow or Hall & Oats.

what do i know anyway...

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 28, 2011 11:19

ab

I'm cracking up.

All people are equal, only the Stones themselves are more equal, right?

Colonial: What were you having along with your breakfast tea at seven o'clock in the morning?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 28, 2011 11:57

Not sure about the barriers but I remember breaking down a few doors at the side of the venue on a couple of nights to get into Earl's Court for free in 76.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 28, 2011 12:37

Silver Dagger
Not sure about the barriers but I remember breaking down a few doors at the side of the venue on a couple of nights to get into Earl's Court for free in 76.

Let's use that technique for 2012.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 28, 2011 12:52

... y'all should've been at that Prague 90 concert. 100 000 people from freshly-ex-communist countries
who had been deprived all their lives of any experience like that show standing there all radiant in the pouring rain
and roaring out the reply to the question what's your favourite flavour -
ohhh yeah, you bet that music brings down barriers

i love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 28, 2011 12:57

with sssoul
... y'all should've been at that Prague 90 concert. 100 000 people from freshly-ex-communist countries
who had been deprived all their lives of any experience like that show standing there all radiant in the pouring rain

thumbs up Cheers, sssoul.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 28, 2011 14:59

with sssoul

Back then, youre absolutely right. That's a great example.

In the last decade or so - I think ab has summed it up pretty well. They've effectively introduced an extreme form of audience apartheid at their shows.

Its really not the same band.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 28, 2011 15:14

Luckily, even the poorest among us can afford to enjoy some of the finer things in life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-28 15:14 by tatters.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 28, 2011 15:15

Oh Yes...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 28, 2011 15:28

dead.flowers
ab

I'm cracking up.

All people are equal, only the Stones themselves are more equal, right?

Colonial: What were you having along with your breakfast tea at seven o'clock in the morning?

LOL

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 28, 2011 15:35

Rich, poor, black, white, Hindu, Muslim, Christian....when you dance like an uncle you dance like an uncle.....no two ways about it.....'cept when you dance like an auntie of course...........cool smiley

Seriously though, D.J.ing a private party once with people with ages ranging 6 - 85 years, Brown sugar was the only one that everybody got up and danced to...so yes... a lot of age related barriers down there certainly.............

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-28 21:42 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: October 28, 2011 16:25

I always thought that in rock music the performance is the object of attention.Rhythm, expressivity of notes and volume are central and affect the listener's body directly, producing a somatic response. Rock music is concerned with this 'matter' of music and less with form and composition. Stressing on groove and body language. The Stones' live performances and image always had this effect in the most direct way and will continue to do so. I think that it is not about the 60's, 70's or whatever time period, or about Mick's, Keith's and Charlie's age back then and now. It is about a musical eruption affecting people in a unique way.And this is 'breaking down barriers'! I fully aggree with the post of this man, colonial.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 17:52

Well, I wouldn't say 'breaking down barriers' but a concert is s shared, communal event. One assumes that everyone at the show is there to see a band that they really dig so in that perhaps they could be seen as equal...except for those in the first 10 rows.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: October 28, 2011 18:21

rumour has it that Ronald Reagan meant to say "Mr. Jagger, Mr. Richards, tear down this wall!" but in his confused state he said Mr. Gorbachev accidently.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 28, 2011 18:49

With Sssouls point is a relevant example, but the Stones don't tend to break too many barriers. How about being a little radical in 2012 by reducing ticket prices so there I'll be a few less fat-and-sweaty bankers and executive-types?

A couple have mentioned the lack of black audience members - whilst it's certainly true that you won't find too many at a Rolling Stones concert, I have a black colleague who saw them in '82, '90 and '95. He stoped attending due to cost.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 28, 2011 21:35

Kirk
I always thought that in rock music the performance is the object of attention.Rhythm, expressivity of notes and volume are central and affect the listener's body directly, producing a somatic response. Rock music is concerned with this 'matter' of music and less with form and composition. Stressing on groove and body language. The Stones' live performances and image always had this effect in the most direct way and will continue to do so. I think that it is not about the 60's, 70's or whatever time period, or about Mick's, Keith's and Charlie's age back then and now. It is about a musical eruption affecting people in a unique way.And this is 'breaking down barriers'! I fully aggree with the post of this man, colonial.
kirk..yea' cheers matesmileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1622
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home