Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Dean Martin "Introduces" the Rolling Stones
Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: October 4, 2010 17:24

Check out Dean Martin's intro and outro of the Stones first appearance on USA television. The Stones were pissed!

Re: Dean Martin "Introduces" the Rolling Stones
Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: October 4, 2010 17:58

He reminds me of Keith talking about a new group.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 4, 2010 18:42

This was included on 25x5.

Keith's response went something like "experiences like this just toughen you up and make you prove yourself even more."

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 4, 2010 18:56

Doesn't matter. You still gotta love Dean.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 4, 2010 19:09

Foster Brooks used to play drunk. I think Dean actually was most of the time.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: October 4, 2010 20:04

Never seen it before, thanks for posting

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: October 4, 2010 20:43

Dean's dismissive eye roll at the end, was a move Mick lifted and has used many times since.

Date: October 4, 2010 20:46

This is the entire exchange, not all of it in the clip shown above.

--The Rolling Stones - "I Just Wanna Make Love To You"

Following song, Dean Martin comes out looking bewildered...and says "Rolling Stones...aren't they great?" (rolls his eyes) "They're going to leave right after the show for London. They are challenging the Beatles to a hair pulling contest. I could swear Jackie Coogan and Skippy were in that group. Well I'm going to let you in on something...you know these singing groups today...you're under the impression they have long hair. Not true at all...it's an optical illusion...they just have low foreheads and high eyebrows."

"So as we leave you...right now we'll have a short intermission. And We'll be back in Hollywood Palace in about a minute. Now don't go away. You...you wouldn't leave me here alone with the Rolling Stones now would you?"

Commercial break

--Larry Grizwold (comedy trampoline act) - man, attempting to dive into pool, does hazardous tricks on diving board.

Following Larry Grizwold's act, Dean Martin comments, "Larry Grizwold...isn't he wonderful? He's the father of the Rolling Stones. And ever since he heard them sing, he's been trying to kill himself."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-04 21:31 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 4, 2010 20:47

Edith Grove

no...he drank...but it was mostly an act...often pretending to be drinking bourbon when it was really apple juice...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 4, 2010 20:55

Didn't Brian take his revenge by banging one of Dean's daughters?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 4, 2010 20:57

T&A
Edith Grove

no...he drank...but it was mostly an act...often pretending to be drinking bourbon when it was really apple juice...

Again, like Keith these days...

Actually, Keith is nowadays much more like Dean Martin than Muddy Waters he loves to make analogies to...

- Doxa

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 4, 2010 20:58

Doxa
T&A
Edith Grove

Again, like Keith these days...

Actually, Keith is nowadays much more like Dean Martin than Muddy Waters he loves to make analogies to...

- Doxa

and ronnie is his jerry lewis....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 4, 2010 21:59

In the mid-80's a friend of mine met one of Dean Martin's daughters at a club. She took great pride in her dad's Stones connection and bragged how her father introduced the band to the U.S. on American television....never bothering to mention how he ripped them apart as he did so!

Also, it was generally thought that this appearance is was what sparked the "jibes from mediocre comedians" comment in Dave Hassinger's liner notes on the U.S. Aftermath.

Date: October 4, 2010 22:06

loog droog
In the mid-80's a friend of mine met one of Dean Martin's daughters at a club. She took great pride in her dad's Stones connection and bragged how her father introduced the band to the U.S. on American television....never bothering to mention how he ripped them apart as he did so!

Also, it was generally thought that this appearance is was what sparked the "jibes from mediocre comedians" comment in Dave Hassinger's liner notes on the U.S. Aftermath.

Check out Charlie Watt's liner notes on Between the Buttons that reference the Dean Martin put-down.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 5, 2010 00:13

Deano was bad enough, but Kenny Rogers, at the Grammy awards when the Stones got their 'Lifetime Achievement" grammy, was worse.
After Clapton introduced them, Jagger says the tahnks, and then 'to all those who took the piss: the joke's on you. Thank yo very much'

then it cuts back to Kenny Rogers, who said:''yeah we're all real excited about here too, guys...'
real snarky- like...
never liked him anyway, bt after that, for sure didn't..

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 5, 2010 00:39

keith should have hit dean with his axe like he did to that fool on the 81 tour

Date: October 5, 2010 01:17

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-06 02:02 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: October 5, 2010 03:35

My favorite quote about this is from Little Steven, who said: 'at that moment on stage I saw both my past and my future ...'

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: October 5, 2010 03:51

Ah, Dino. You were such a lovable boozehound, even when you were pandering to the squares.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 5, 2010 03:55

he DEAD.

They not

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: October 5, 2010 03:57

24FPS
Didn't Brian take his revenge by banging one of Dean's daughters?

I've heard the same story over the years

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 5, 2010 03:58

he be dead.
they be alive

Date: October 5, 2010 04:48

That wasn't really booze he was always drinking, but apple juice. It was an act.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 5, 2010 07:20

According to Nich Tosches book, Dean loved the Percodan. Ah, pally, nothin' like kickin' back with a scotch and opiates and watchin' Bonanza.

I've watched the Colgate Comedy Hours from the 1950s on NBC with Dean and Jerry and Dean was a hell of an entertainer. Funny too, but overshadowed by Jerry's lunacy. Smarter than we give him credit for too. They paid him a bundle for his TV show. But there's always been this aura of no one was allowed to get too close. Seems like him and Keith should have gotten along fine.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 5, 2010 09:32

dancingmisterd
Ah, Dino. You were such a lovable boozehound, even when you were pandering to the squares.

Actually, you're square if you DON'T like Dean Martin.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 5, 2010 09:46

It was great publicity. We're still talking about it 40-odd years later. What's more amazing is that people actually think Martin wrote this when he's most likely reading a cue card written by some TV hack.
Hey, it's showbiz. That's the way it worked back then.

Date: October 5, 2010 17:17

tomk
It was great publicity. We're still talking about it 40-odd years later.

I don't know about that. Not too many people heard about it because ABC just ran the show once like that, and then edited it heavily when it was repeated.

When the Stones hit it big time, Hollywood Palace dug into the other songs recorded during the rehearsal session and played them without any barbs or criticism.

Fact is, the Stones weren't very good at that time in their career. That was a dreadful performance of I Just Want to Make Love to You, and Dean Martin rightfully thought it was cringe-worthy.

The Stones got so arrogrant a few years later (during the 1969 Altamont era) it was great to hear Dino cut the boys back down to size.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-05 17:18 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: October 5, 2010 19:52

"eye roll"(???)

WRONG!!!
Truth is that schtick originated with Eddie Cantor...

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: October 5, 2010 19:54

I saw that show when I was 17
very exciting, they were fantatstic, especially BJ on harp

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: October 5, 2010 21:29

mitchflorida
Fact is, the Stones weren't very good at that time in their career. That was a dreadful performance of I Just Want to Make Love to You, and Dean Martin rightfully thought it was cringe-worthy.

No, no, no! The hypnotic rhythm from Keith, Bill and Charlie, the aggressively lazy singing from Mick (it's a pity he soon dropped that style) and Brian's harmonica,emerging from the beat like the sound of a wild animal, ahhhh.... Leaving aside Mick's clap-skip thing and whatever the hell Keith was doing with his guitar, they were fantastic.

Dean Martin was great, too, though.

Edit: I ballsed up the quoting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-05 21:30 by Squiggle.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1584
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home