Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
opening acts you've seen that you thought were bound for greatness
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 17, 2011 17:00

not necessarily a stones opening act...

i thought of two relatively unknown acts i've seen that i thought were bound for glory. i was right once and wrong once.

saw robert cray open for muddy waters in the early 80s. i think robert's first small label release had just come out, but he was mostly just known on the west coast. the friend i went to the show with wasn't that impressed...i told him robert would be a huge star one day (robert was well known in eugene in those days)...he scoffed at that notion...said he wouldn't even rise to the fame of the seigel-schwall band (btw - that's a great blues band from the late sixties that you kiddies out there would be well-served to investigate on your free time)...i said he was wrong. i was right, of course.

several years ago saw the legendary shack shakers open a pogues show. fun band, with a very charismatic frontman...played punky blues...did a great version of slim harpo's hip shake. thought they'd make it big. i was wrong.

times you've been right? wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-17 17:00 by StonesTod.

Re: opening acts you've seen that you thought were bound for greatness
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 17, 2011 17:14

I had the opposite impression of Robert Cray; when seeing him opening for Rolling Stones in 1995. I thought it was just incredible boring "slick-blues". Maybe he was better in the early 80s ?

Date: October 17, 2011 17:27

Erik_Snow
I had the opposite impression of Robert Cray; when seeing him opening for Rolling Stones in 1995. I thought it was just incredible boring "slick-blues". Maybe he was better in the early 80s ?

you disappoint me, my friend. but, shame on me for believing you were one of the good ones.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 17, 2011 17:28

I remember seeing Rachel Sweet many years ago in a club that she would have been too young to get into if she hadn't been performing there, and thinking "Next time she comes around, it'll be at MSG". Needless to say, it never happened. A much more common experience for me is seeing a warm up act that I think is going nowhere (Styx and Journey come to mind), and then seeing them, if not achieving "greatness", at least becoming incredibly successful. I also remember being in a bar while I was in college and not even paying attention to the still-unknown Talking Heads while they were doing their soundcheck, or bothering to stick around to watch their gig.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-17 17:39 by tatters.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 17, 2011 17:29

StonesTod
Erik_Snow

you disappoint me, my friend. but, shame on me for believing you were one of the good ones.

I find Cray too slick & boring too...

I remember seeing Bryan Adams supporting Tina Turner, & I thought he was terrible & would never make it big. So what do I know.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 17, 2011 17:36

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-17 17:37 by tatters.

Date: October 17, 2011 17:38

the robert cray hatred is affecting my ability to function properly. robert's in a virtual category/class of his own and is beyond criticism. i will not tolerate any more of this.

Date: October 17, 2011 17:48

StonesTod
Erik_Snow

But you didn't attend the 1995 concert, Tod ! Maybe he had a slick day, that day !

Date: October 17, 2011 17:49

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow

But you didn't attend the 1995 concert, Tod ! Maybe he had a slick day, that day !

i'm not talking to you. i only talk to the good ones henceforth.

Date: October 17, 2011 17:49

...or maybe he wasn't slick at all. Maybe it was just me, who was wild ?

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 17, 2011 17:57

Silverhead. They supported Deep Purple in 1972 and imo were the better act. I bought both the albums that they made but they never had the success I thought they deserved.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 17, 2011 18:00

rebelrebel
Silverhead. They supported Deep Purple in 1972 and imo were the better act. I bought both the albums that they made but they never had the success I thought they deserved.
An opening act that was better than Deep Purple in 1972?
Really?
Is there audio proof of that?

Date: October 17, 2011 18:03

rebelrebel

but you saw deep purple in '72. that's the keeper.

Date: October 17, 2011 18:04

Erik_Snow

too late. you said slick.

Date: October 17, 2011 18:05

Another vote for slick from me.

I saw Prince opening for somebody; (not the Stones)and I thought he was going to go down in flames. Shows how much I knew.
Saw the Neville Bros outside of NO opening for a hard rock act, and thought that they should be better known. That was before anyone outside of Louisiana knew about them.
One time I saw Squeeze open for the Tubes in NYC. While Squeeze isn't my cup of tea at all, they were way better and forward than the Tubes at that time, and I thought they'd be bound for bigger things.
I opened for Jane's Addiction w/ my band once, and of course I knew that opening band was destined for greatness.

Date: October 17, 2011 18:13

Palace Revolution 2000
Another vote for slick from me.

perhaps you didn't hear, but we are operating in no-tolerance mode for cray-hating. further warnings will not be issued and non-comformance to the policy will be reported.

Date: October 17, 2011 18:15

StonesTod
Erik_Snow

too late. you said slick.

slick. slick. slick. slick. slick.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 17, 2011 18:21

I saw the Dave Matthews Band in a small club just before they broke and wasn't overly impressed. They were on the same bill as Rusted Root, who I thought were quite good.

I saw the Black Crowes open for Aerosmith in 1990 and knew they were good (my very first concert!).

Date: October 17, 2011 18:23

Send It To me
I saw the Dave Matthews Band in a small club just before they broke and wasn't overly impressed. They were on the same bill as Rusted Root, who I thought were quite good.

I saw the Black Crowes open for Aerosmith in 1990 and knew they were good (my very first concert!).

good! one of each!

always liked rusted root...they still around?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 17, 2011 21:04

Robert Cray, live, is not very exciting. Though every artist has good and bad shows...and plenty of indifferent ones.

I saw The Alarm open a show and they blew me away - I thought they'd be huge. Never quite happened. One of those bands that was way better live - and never had a producer who could capture that energy on record.

The other was The Smithereens. I was stunned by them opening for Squeeze back in the late 80s. They rocked. The singer had a great voice. Great songs and hooks.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: October 17, 2011 21:12

In February 1974 I saw Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band open for Wishbone Ash. It was quite obvious that Bruce was a major talent from whom we would be hearing much more.

Date: October 17, 2011 21:15

Roscoe
In February 1974 I saw Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band open for Wishbone Ash. It was quite obvious that Bruce was a major talent from whom we would be hearing much more.

was on a bit of a wishbone ash bender a few weeks back. those lads could rock.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: October 17, 2011 21:38

To be honest with the exception of the Black Crowes and Sheryl Crow all of the acts I have seen support the Stones have been shit.

Date: October 17, 2011 21:40

Baxter Thwaites
To be honest with the exception of the Black Crowes and Sheryl Crow all of the acts I have seen support the Stones have been shit.

i think you are missing the point of the thread. but thanks for the input.

Date: October 17, 2011 21:42

StonesTod
Baxter Thwaites

The point being that because I have found them to be shit I didn't consider any of them destined for greatness. By way of example I present Gun and Starsailor.

Date: October 17, 2011 21:46

Baxter Thwaites
StonesTod
Baxter Thwaites

The point being that because I have found them to be shit I didn't consider any of them destined for greatness. By way of example I present Gun and Starsailor.

but the crowes and crow were already established stars. that's the part you missed. i think you just like using the s-word. enjoy.

Date: October 17, 2011 21:51

StonesTod
Baxter Thwaites
StonesTod
Baxter Thwaites

but the crowes and crow were already established stars. that's the part you missed. i think you just like using the s-word. enjoy.

Think it's the first time I've used the s word here. But it adequately conveys how I feel about the acts I've seen support the Stones. The point I was making was that with the exception of the two established acts I have seen open for them the acts that I'VE seen support the Stones have been ... well I've already said it once.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 17, 2011 21:59

I saw Van Morrison Open for the Stones and thought to my self : "this kid's goin places"

Date: October 17, 2011 21:59

Baxter Thwaites
StonesTod
Baxter Thwaites
StonesTod
Baxter Thwaites

Think it's the first time I've used the s word here. But it adequately conveys how I feel about the acts I've seen support the Stones. The point I was making was that with the exception of the two established acts I have seen open for them the acts that I'VE seen support the Stones have been ... well I've already said it once.

ok. but that really wasn't the question i was asking. but thanks for trying anyway and it seems it helped you get something out of your system...

Date: October 17, 2011 22:00

ryanpow
I saw Van Morrison Open for the Stones and thought to my self : "this kid's goin places"

i saw that one. the main act sucked (really, i thought they did).

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home