Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT - Nirvana - Nevermind - 20 years old
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 23, 2011 03:30

Time sure flys. Do you remember when it first came out? Do you own a copy?

Nevermind is the second studio album by the American rock band Nirvana, released on September 24, 1991. Produced by Butch Vig, Nevermind was the group's first release on DGC Records. Frontman Kurt Cobain sought to make music outside the restrictive confines of the Seattle grunge scene, drawing influence from groups such as the Pixies and their use of loud/quiet song dynamics.

Despite low commercial expectations by the band and its record label, Nevermind became a surprise success in late 1991, largely due to the popularity of its first single, "Smells Like Teen Spirit". By January 1992, it had replaced Michael Jackson's album Dangerous at number one on the Billboard charts. The Recording Industry Association of America has certified the album Diamond (over 10 million copies shipped), and the album has sold over 30 million copies worldwide. Nevermind was responsible for bringing alternative rock to a large mainstream audience, and critics subsequently regarded it as one of the best rock albums of all time.

Track Listing:

All songs written by Kurt Cobain except where noted.

1."Smells Like Teen Spirit" (Cobain, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic) – 5:01
2."In Bloom" – 4:14
3."Come as You Are" – 3:39
4."Breed" – 3:03
5."Lithium" – 4:17
6."Polly" – 2:57
7."Territorial Pissings" – 2:22
8."Drain You" – 3:43
9."Lounge Act" – 2:36
10."Stay Away" – 3:32
11."On a Plain" – 3:16
12."Something in the Way" – 3:55

"Endless, Nameless" (Cobain, Grohl, Novoselic) -- 6:44 (hidden track on some copies of the record)

Info from Wiki.

Re: OT - Nirvana - Nevermind - 20 years old
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 23, 2011 03:40

Time does indeed fly. . .. What a great disc. . .. R.I.P. Kurt.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: September 23, 2011 03:45

Very good article about Nirvana from last weekend:

[www.guardian.co.uk]]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 23, 2011 03:57

Such a great band, & great album. Still I always like the In Utero album better.

btw, I got to see them live, in '93!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 23, 2011 05:26

Jesus.@#$%&.Christ.I'm.Old.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 24, 2011 01:56

Imho they sucked live (despite Grohl's talent) and they stole the quiet-LOUD-quiet formula from the Pixies... (they also stole "Come As You Are" from Killing Joke).

I cannot remember who said this (maybe Buzz from the Melvins) but basically it was "it's because the musical scene of 1991 was so mediocre that Nirvana was given an opportunity to break big. They were a 2nd rate band that would have never amounted to anything if better bands had been around in the early 90's".

And their decision to hire Albini for "In Utero" was pathetic. It sounded like "hey we're not a bunch of sold-outs. We still have that indie street cred, dude!"

Yeah sure!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-24 02:21 by dcba.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 24, 2011 02:04

Saw them on the In Utero tour. Killer live show. Ghrohl was astounding - I recall thinking he didn't need to be miced. I saw them at the Aragon in Chicago.

Nevermind is brilliant. Grunge it isn't, which is the lamest term for a genre of music. They weren't "grunge" and nobody from Seattle was. Cobain's love for The Beatles, perhaps Lennon more so, is obvious on this album. In Utero was just as good but sound wise better. No matter. Nevermind is a great album. I'll be getting one of the deluxe reissues this weekend.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 24, 2011 02:09

fwiw- The Palladia HD music channel is showing "Nirvana: live at the Paramount" tonight, check your listings for times... it says it is from 1991.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-24 02:10 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 24, 2011 02:10

I have a story about Kurt and Courtney. I was in NYC at the Sat Night Live studios, they asked if I wanted to stay to hear this new band rehearse what they were going to do for that weeks show. Some act named Pearl Jam. I said sure and went back to the studio at the appointed time. The only other persons in there (watching) were a fairly scary looking couple , obviously stoned and obviously ok with it. They were sitting in the second or third row. I sat down in the first. We all and watched this awesome new band play Black and Jeremy and I think one other I couldn't identify. Afterwards I was pretty excited and started talking to this other couple. They were very nice, said they were frinds of the band from Seattle. Only later after seeing pictures of Nirvana did I figure out the couple was Kurt and Courtney. To use Jaggers words , she looked all dressed up to do him harm even then. I still believe she has something to do with his murder. (another story for another thread) But I did get to chat with him a bit before he left us. He was charming and sweet and loved the Pearl Jam stuff we just heard. peace.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 24, 2011 02:11

Naturalust
I have a story about Kurt and Courtney. I was in NYC at the Sat Night Live studios, they asked if I wanted to stay to hear this new band rehearse what they were going to do for that weeks show. Some act named Pearl Jam. I said sure and went back to the studio at the appointed time. The only other persons in there (watching) were a fairly scary looking couple , obviously stoned and obviously ok with it. They were sitting in the second or third row. I sat down in the first. We all and watched this awesome new band play Black and Jeremy and I think one other I couldn't identify. Afterwards I was pretty excited and started talking to this other couple. They were very nice, said they were frinds of the band from Seattle. Only later after seeing pictures of Nirvana did I figure out the couple was Kurt and Courtney. To use Jaggers words , she looked all dressed up to do him harm even then. I still believe she has something to do with his murder. (another story for another thread) But I did get to chat with him a bit before he left us. He was charming and sweet and loved the Pearl Jam stuff we just heard. peace.
Stories like that make for a fun, great life... thanks for sharing.

Date: September 24, 2011 02:12

dcba
Imho they sucked live (despite Grohl's talent) and they stole the quiet-LOUD-quie formula from the Pixies...

LOL! You're on a Stones board, how much stuff have the Stones admittedly stolen from other bands (btw, Kurt always professed a love for Pixies, so obviously he is going to draw influences from them). They were amazing live, did you ever see them? I thought not. Looks like you're trying to find a ton of reasons to dislike one of the most amazing bands ever! Just total kick-ass, intense, riff-driven rock, and it changed a generation -- at the time they hit it big, radio was playing Michael Jackson, Huey Lewis, Madonna -- Nirvana brought back real rock, you can't deny it.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 24, 2011 02:16

Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust

Nice read,thanks.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 24, 2011 02:22

shortfatfanny
Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust

Nice read,thanks.

Ditto!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 24, 2011 02:23

"one of the most amazing bands ever! Just total kick-ass, intense, riff-driven rock, and it changed a generation"

You should become a PR man for a music conglomerate/label, you speak like one of them...

"and it changed a generation"
Who topped the U.S. charts the same year Cobain erased himself? Hootie & the Blowfish, alright!!! If Nirvana changed a generation well the change must have been superficial smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-24 02:26 by dcba.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 24, 2011 02:24

dcba
Imho they sucked live (despite Grohl's talent) and they stole the quiet-LOUD-quie formula from the Pixies...

From who?

Date: September 24, 2011 02:55

LeonidP
dcba

LOL! You're on a Stones board, how much stuff have the Stones admittedly stolen from other bands (btw, Kurt always professed a love for Pixies, so obviously he is going to draw influences from them). They were amazing live, did you ever see them? I thought not. Looks like you're trying to find a ton of reasons to dislike one of the most amazing bands ever! Just total kick-ass, intense, riff-driven rock, and it changed a generation -- at the time they hit it big, radio was playing Michael Jackson, Huey Lewis, Madonna -- Nirvana brought back real rock, you can't deny it.

in 1991/1992 radio wasn't playing huey lewis anymore

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 24, 2011 04:14

Roots Reggae artist Little Roy has just released an album of Nirvana
covers cut in a reggae style with the help of UK based producer Prince Fatty ....

......................... Scorcher and Little Roy packin' it in da 70's.......

Little Roy - Battle For Seattle - Ark Recordings 2011

ROCKMAN

Date: September 24, 2011 05:42

keefriffhard4life
LeonidP
dcba

As he pointed out, Hootie & the Blowfish ... not much different, imo. The point is that radio was taken over by, what i call, sissy rock, until the grunge craze turned it around again.

Date: September 24, 2011 06:44

LeonidP
keefriffhard4life
LeonidP
dcba

As he pointed out, Hootie & the Blowfish ... not much different, imo. The point is that radio was taken over by, what i call, sissy rock, until the grunge craze turned it around again.

not sure how huey lewis and hootie and the blowfish are alike? huey lewis is 50's retro rock and hootie is some kind of acoustic country rock. on top of that hootie didn't even have an album until 1994

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 24, 2011 07:11

dcba
Imho they sucked live (despite Grohl's talent) and they stole the quiet-LOUD-quiet formula from the Pixies... (they also stole "Come As You Are" from Killing Joke).

I cannot remember who said this (maybe Buzz from the Melvins) but basically it was "it's because the musical scene of 1991 was so mediocre that Nirvana was given an opportunity to break big. They were a 2nd rate band that would have never amounted to anything if better bands had been around in the early 90's".

And their decision to hire Albini for "In Utero" was pathetic. It sounded like "hey we're not a bunch of sold-outs. We still have that indie street cred, dude!"

Yeah sure!

Disagree...The reason Nirvana stood head & shoulders above all the middling grunge of the time was Kurt's songwriting. Nirvana were loud and powerful like a lot of those other bands, but Kurt was not ashamed to have been as influenced by The Beatles and REM as we was by punk and Led Zeppelin. The band simply had better material to play, yes, "poppier" if you like, but I think that was a strength, not a weakness. And certainly there was nothing "second rate" about them. I care more about good music than keeping "indy street cred". I was in Seattle at the time (still am) and I can tell you there was a whole lot of envy and jealousy when Nirvana broke big from precisely the type of bands you mention.

Date: September 24, 2011 07:22

71Tele
dcba

Yeah sure!

Disagree...The reason Nirvana stood head & shoulders above all the middling grunge of the time was Kurt's songwriting. Nirvana were loud and powerful like a lot of those other bands, but Kurt was not ashamed to have been as influenced by The Beatles and REM as we was by punk and Led Zeppelin. The band simply had better material to play, yes, "poppier" if you like, but I think that was a strength, not a weakness. And certainly there was nothing "second rate" about them. I care more about good music than keeping "indy street cred". I was in Seattle at the time (still am) and I can tell you there was a whole lot of envy and jealousy when Nirvana broke big from precisely the type of bands you mention.

I agree 71Tele. But we can't underestimate the producer, Butch Vig's, role in that Nevermind record. He took the hardly demo worthy stuff and made it more accessible without destroying the whole indie (i just learned how to play) feel. It is basically just 70's classic rock done with some new slick recording technology and a frontman who was the perfect underdog image of this kinda lost generation. Kurt seemed to somehow find the musical appeal in the bare roots of the rock music that had become otherwise too complicated or too mashed up by the late 80's. His singing was not contrived either. That makes a big azz difference. peace.

Date: September 24, 2011 07:35

Naturalust
71Tele
dcba

Yeah sure!

I agree 71Tele. But we can't underestimate the producer, Butch Vig's, role in that Nevermind record. He took the hardly demo worthy stuff and made it more accessible without destroying the whole indie (i just learned how to play) feel. It is basically just 70's classic rock done with some new slick recording technology and a frontman who was the perfect underdog image of this kinda lost generation. Kurt seemed to somehow find the musical appeal in the bare roots of the rock music that had become otherwise too complicated or too mashed up by the late 80's. His singing was not contrived either. That makes a big azz difference. peace.

I agree with you Naturalust. That record was a perfect storm of the right group at the right time, with the right producer, and a big gap in the world of popular music. I am not even that much a Nirvana fan, but I always chafe when I hear accusations of "sell out" against them, especially by people who would have gladly sold millions of records if the same opportunity would have been presented to them. I don't care for most of the bands that came out of grunge: too much Led Zeppelin influence and too little songcraft for my taste, generally speaking. But Kurt could write a song that could rip you in two, as Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits and a precious few others can. He also created a style with his guitar playing that was distinctive. Personally, I think Nevermind has well stood the test of time, though I might not have thought it would of when it first came out.

Date: September 24, 2011 07:40

71Tele
But Kurt could write a song that could rip you in two,

Well put there Tele. I have an old 62 Fender Jaguar too so I was kinda happy to see someone else slinging one of them at the time. peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-24 07:43 by Naturalust.

Date: September 24, 2011 07:55

i like NIRVANA a lot but cobain's lyrics sound like the rambling thoughts of a coked up idiot

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: September 24, 2011 08:14

I can't deal with the self pity of it all. don't buy the worthiness either. Teen spirit is still a classic tho. great example of the right germ of a song in the hands of the right producer, with a kick ass drummer. Never really missed them too much. As much as I love Gram Parsons et al, I admire more the Neil Youngs of the world who stick around

Date: September 24, 2011 09:03

letitloose
I can't deal with the self pity of it all. don't buy the worthiness either. Teen spirit is still a classic tho. great example of the right germ of a song in the hands of the right producer, with a kick ass drummer. Never really missed them too much. As much as I love Gram Parsons et al, I admire more the Neil Youngs of the world who stick around

Good point. Half the battle is managing to stick around.

Date: September 24, 2011 11:03

71Tele
letitloose

Good point. Half the battle is managing to stick around.

yeah I'm with you guys on this one. But after thinking about it, I CAN deal with it. Kurt was not very strong for a lot of reasons and that's what obviously 30 million people wanted to see and relate to somehow. more later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-24 23:56 by Naturalust.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: September 24, 2011 11:51

Didn't that dude from the Smashing Pumpkins have a conspiracy theory that Courtney Love and him finished off Kurt.

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: September 24, 2011 12:42

Never liked Nirvana. DOn't get me wrong...I tried really hard and played their stuff over and over (after all, they were hitting big as I was in high school and off to college - target demo). But, no. I couldn't make it through more than 2 songs before putting in the Stones, or DEVO, or a million other bands.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 24, 2011 12:51

dcba

They didn't suck live, but their commercially released live recordings didn't capture them until Live at Reading came out a couple years ago. There are plenty of excellent boots from 1991-93, including the aforementioned Paramount show.

Cobain admitted that Teen Spirit was a Pixies knockoff.

I couldn't see them at the American University gym in DC in fall of '93 because of an out of town commitment that weekend. At the time, I figured I'd get to see them in a few years in a much bigger venue. That didn't happen.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1613
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home