Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

An interesting little snippet about Bill
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: September 30, 2011 18:29

An interesting little snippet about Bill

[online.wsj.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-01 10:48 by pgarof.

Re: Where the Bass Player Went Off To
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 30, 2011 18:45

>>"The Stones never liked early rock 'n' roll—they're hard-core blues fans," Mr. Wyman said. "I'm a bit older, and I love Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnnie Ray<<

hmmm...

that's kinda selective...

lots of early rock n roll in the Stones' history...

glad to read that BW is writing a second memoir, picking up where he left off in 'Stone Alone'

hopefully leaving out the bookeeping

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 30, 2011 19:04

duke richardson
>>"The Stones never liked early rock 'n' roll—they're hard-core blues fans," Mr. Wyman said. "I'm a bit older, and I love Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnnie Ray<<

hmmm...

that's kinda selective...

lots of early rock n roll in the Stones' history...

glad to read that BW is writing a second memoir, picking up where he left off in 'Stone Alone'

The Stones (apart from Bill) didn't cover white rock & roll in the early days by artists such as Elvis, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins, Gene Vincent, etc, nor the more commercial black stuff by Little Richard & Fats. Of course Chuck Berry & Bo Diddley were rock 'n' roll, though closer to Chicago than most the other rock & rollers.

For all the RS "purist" roots though, it's surprising that they also covered Arther Alexander & The Coasters. These two were covered mainly by the more commercial Northern pop groups such as The Beatles, The Hollies, Gerry & The Pacemakers, etc; The Animals, Them, The Pretty Things & The Yardbirds certainly didn't cover these artists.

Re: An interesting little snippet about Bill
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: October 1, 2011 10:54

he says he is up to 1973 in his stones follow up book, quite a way to go then?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2011 12:01

duke richardson

That's nice to hear! Even though I think Keith's wonderful sales might have something to do with BIll's sudden will to remember some more, I think it would be great to have Wyman's account of the Stones happening during the druggie 70's. Just to to give a different angle than Keith's...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 1, 2011 13:33

Bill is right, early Stones were blues epigonists. Bill's reportoire with Rythm Kings is more early rock and roll (rockabilly, boogie-woogie etc).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 1, 2011 16:23

The new book would be great...might go back and reread Stone Alone, it's been 20 years!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 1, 2011 16:35

Read closer; he says it's NOT "Stone Alone 2". "It's my second Rolling Stones memoir," said Mr. Wyman, a diary-keeper since childhood. "I'm writing from the start. My first, 'Stone Alone,' covered 1962 to 1969 but was criticized for being too long and detailed. This is more reflective. I'm now up to 1973." So he's done 1962-1973. But it will be more memoire than details; hopefully his memory won't mix up todgers!! We don't need that, haha!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home