Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Some Girls: US First Press: "Sterling" in deadwax
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 16, 2011 11:01

Hi!
Just got a message from a seller on Ebay (yeah I know, but there is NOTHING to buy where I live) regarding a Some Girls US first press vinyl.
I requested the matrix numbers and whereas another seller quoted these as "ST RS 784079-C, ST784080 F", this seller said "Sterling" was printed in the deadwax, something that guaranteed a first print.
I have never heard of this, but I´m not a rocket scientist.
Opinions?

Re: Some Girls: US First Press: "Sterling" in deadwax
Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: September 16, 2011 11:31

enough opinions, but facts??

sounds very interesting...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 16, 2011 11:34

What makes the first US press so special Robber? I've got a UK promo release of Some Girls with press package. Worth anything?

Date: September 16, 2011 11:48

Silver Dagger: In time I just wanted to obtain the US and UK studioalbums in first prints, so nothing really special. Your item seems much more interresting smiling smiley
Jan Richards has this really great Stones-On-Decca site, but the later works seems to be a bit more chaotic in terms of matrix numbers and so on. Or at least, less researched.

Date: September 16, 2011 12:53

Robber, where do you live?

Date: September 16, 2011 13:11

Palace Revolution 2000
Robber, where do you live?

Oslo, Norway.
So I buy my first prints from friends with mulitple copies or online. There is the occational record-fair (or whats it called) here, but I´m seldom able to go..

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 17, 2011 10:23

My promo copy has sterling stamped into the deadwax. Never knew about this until I read this post. Good luck on your search. The price for mine was about 25 euros if I remember right. Don't know if it's rare or not.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: September 17, 2011 11:00

I have 21 US Some Girls on RSR/ATLANTIC Records.
20 read STERLING onto deadwax and one has the classic mark of Monarch Records (CA). STERLING is not a guarantee of 1st press, simply means that matrixes used to press that record were prepared by Sterling Sound Studio (NYC).
Even if one could argue with that, original US 1st press of 'Some Girls' should have:
. pale colours on cover wiht red or blue title
. first innner sleeve, later re-worked
. no"contains the hit 'Miss You'" white/red sticker on cvr
. STERLING onto vinyl
. onto labels ST-RS-748080-PR or -MO or -ly depending on the record plant were
the records were pressed

I hope this will help you,
Luca

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 17, 2011 11:18

Thanks for the information 1963luca0. Never read such detail about the U.S. pressing. Good stuff.

Date: September 17, 2011 11:42

No problem, ask via forum and I'll be glad to share my knowledge.
Bye, Luca

Date: September 17, 2011 14:29

Great!
Thank you very much!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 17, 2011 17:59

1963luca0
I have 21 US Some Girls on RSR/ATLANTIC Records.
20 read STERLING onto deadwax and one has the classic mark of Monarch Records (CA). STERLING is not a guarantee of 1st press, simply means that matrixes used to press that record were prepared by Sterling Sound Studio (NYC).
Even if one could argue with that, original US 1st press of 'Some Girls' should have:
. pale colours on cover wiht red or blue title
. first innner sleeve, later re-worked
. no"contains the hit 'Miss You'" white/red sticker on cvr
. STERLING onto vinyl
. onto labels ST-RS-748080-PR or -MO or -ly depending on the record plant were
the records were pressed

I hope this will help you,
Luca

Regarding pale vs dark colours, I have both versions (still in sealed state), but have read that this was a geographic consideration in the US. ie the pale colours were east coast, dark colours west coast.

Has anyone else heard that, or have more info?

Date: September 17, 2011 20:19

As I've written, I supposed that one could argue with my data.
The definitive chronology of 'Some Girls' is far from being set.
I can confirm that rumors wanted there was a geographical distribution of pale and dark covers.
As years went by, this was abandoned in favour of 1st vs early 2nd issue due to the abondance of dark covers and scarcity of pale ones.
Moreover, I've never located pale covers associated with re-worked inner sleeve and this seem to confirm this latter opinion.
Again: pale vs dark in not a US-only topic. In other Countries, i.e. GB, the original 1st issue had pale colours, dark colours arrived with the 2nd issue and this wasn't due to geographical distrubution, as in GB there was one and only distributor: EMI Records.
So far, for what concerns the officially issued covers.

I have to promotional-only 'made in USA' cover variations that seem to confirm that both versions were contemporary available.
First cover
Black and white finished cover missing any sort of colours (dark and/or pale) with totally black and white later-to-be-banned inner sleeve. It's not possibile to say if it was to be finished with pale or dark colouring...
Second cover
Finished dark colour cover (top line is green, title is red) with finished and coloured later-to-be-banned inner sleeve. Cover is not die-cut and you can see the
original faces of the girls.
This cover sports a red/white EMI promotional sticker with the name of the British EMI person receiving the copy machine typed (Roger Thomas). The record is a 1st press British CUN 39108.
This combination of 1st inner sleeve+1st album issue in dark colour unfinished cover seems to collide with theory wanting pale covers as the very first ones.
(to be continued...)
Luca

Date: September 17, 2011 21:05

Thanks for the detail Luca,

I would say that all subsequent releases appear to have gone with the darker colours, so that does explain the greater abundance of that version.

Wouldn't necessarily disclude though, the left verses right coast theory, just means that there are more darker versions now as that is what they've gone with since initial release. Love to know what the right answer is.

I also have the promo only release, and can confirm that is in the pale cover.

PS, I only have 11 copies of Some Girls, which 'pales' in comparison to your collection.

Date: September 17, 2011 21:43

Collecting Rolling Stones Records is not a smart a collecting DECCA and/or LONDON,
but still gives many a thrill. You can find tens of DECCA experts, but when you come to RSR nobody comes up. 11 or 21 copies of 'Some Girls' are many, but I'm pretty sure we both miss many more.
'Some Girls' is the last collectable album. From 'Sucking in the 70's' onward the number of label/cover variations tended to zero.
I have no more than 5 or 6 US 'Tattoo You', for instance, vs 27 'Sticky Fingers'
Pity, isn'it?
See you soon,
Luca

Date: September 17, 2011 23:08

I LOVE this discussion smiling smiley

Date: September 18, 2011 03:14

1963luca0
Collecting Rolling Stones Records is not a smart a collecting DECCA and/or LONDON,
but still gives many a thrill. You can find tens of DECCA experts, but when you come to RSR nobody comes up. 11 or 21 copies of 'Some Girls' are many, but I'm pretty sure we both miss many more.
'Some Girls' is the last collectable album. From 'Sucking in the 70's' onward the number of label/cover variations tended to zero.
I have no more than 5 or 6 US 'Tattoo You', for instance, vs 27 'Sticky Fingers'
Pity, isn'it?
See you soon,
Luca

I've got LOADS of DECCA (and London), unboxed in MONO and STEREO for most of the releases. I understand that within that as well, there are many variations, ie Tell Me, long version vs. short version, Mona vs. I Need You Baby (and on the label vs. on the album cover), flip back vs. non flipback, on RS 2, Blind Man vs. non-blind man cover, on Aftermath (UK, shadow vs. non shadow cover) on Beggar's Banquent, Patent Pending vs. not., All songs by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards vs. not...it just goes on and on and on. I have 11 copies of Rolling Stones NOW, which have innumerable different mono AND stereo versions (I think the first Stereo release in the US, if I'm not mistaken...perhaps someone else can confirm?)

...that's before we even get started on he 45's, holy mackeral.

I presume you've also got the Dutch Orange vinyls of Some Girls?

Date: September 18, 2011 10:50

Collecting DECCA and LONDON is great, no need to say.
In my personal opinion is that we are very far from completing complex discography like the British and the US ones.
On top of that, I think that the most fascinating LONDON discography is the Canadian. I have no less than five or six major variations in labelling of the Canadian albums and somtimes is very very hard to tell the original, to me.
It's a couple of years I've stopped buying many of albums per month, but I think that I'll re-start buying Canadian albums very soon. I'd like to succeede in setting a logical chronology of these releases and re-issue.
This said, in my previous post I simply tried to point out that the most of the collectors focus on DECCA and LONDON, but I consider RSR output very intersting, as well.
Yes, I have the Dutch orange 'Some Girls' and many others, too.
Except for surprises and occasional finding, the only 'Some Girls' I'm looking for
it's an Italian missprint playing Diana Ross. You have to check the vinyl data one per one and find the wrong matrix number: there's no other way to get one the (circa) 50 copies that excaped the withdrawn.
Bye,

Date: September 18, 2011 10:56

Hey I've got some dry land in Texas...wanna buy?

Date: September 18, 2011 11:31

Are they full of 'Some Girls' label/colour variations? If so, I could consider...
Do you accept Paypal?
Luca

Date: September 18, 2011 11:43

Hey Luca,
Do you have any info on the Some Girls title in blue vs red?

Date: September 18, 2011 18:56

I'm afraid not. I mean that I can obviously confirm that both colours were used, but I can't tell why. Generally speaking, it seems that red was widely used and blue was limited to a far lower number of covers. Your opinion?
No need to say that red or blue have no relevance on value.

Date: September 19, 2011 04:22

21stcenturystones
Hey I've got some dry land in Texas...wanna buy?

No, I'm waiting for the Stones In Texas DVD coming out in a month or so...saving up for that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home