Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones Live Medleys
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: September 3, 2011 21:11

What songs have been performed live as medleys? I can think of the following:

Get Off Of My Cloud / Yesterday's Papers (1967)

Goin' Home / Satisfaction (1967)

Under My Thumb / I'm Free (1970)

Uptight / Satisfaction (1972)

If You Can't Rock Me / Get Off Of My Cloud (1975 - 1976)

2nd question, what songs would work well as medleys? Two that spring to mind are:

Love In Vain / I Got The Blues

All Down The Line / Silver Train

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-03 21:18 by Sleepy City.

Re: Rolling Stones Live Medleys
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 3, 2011 21:28

I cross-faded Sympathy and Too much blood......and enjoyed that...always thought they would make a great opener for a Stones show.............13-15 mins

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 3, 2011 21:29

maybe one could call 2000 light years / Sympathy for the Devil a medley as well ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-03 22:38 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: September 3, 2011 22:06

Everybody Needs Somebody To Love / Pain In My Heart (1965)

Date: September 3, 2011 22:27

franzk
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love / Pain In My Heart (1965)

I thought of that, but I'm not quite convinced it's a true medley (despite what it says on the record) as there's a brief pause between the songs.

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: September 4, 2011 02:42

Medleys are for the likes of Cliff Richard. The Stones should leave well alone.

Date: September 4, 2011 02:56

Baxter Thwaites

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 4, 2011 11:41

Baxter Thwaites

Indeed. Medleys become a way to do half-assed, throwaway versions of things a performer feels obligated to play. It used to annoy the hell out me when the Kinks in the 70s would string together singalong, minute and a half versions of some of their most beloved songs onstage (Well-Respected Man/Death of Clown/Sunny Afternoon) in the '70s.

Date: September 4, 2011 11:50

ab
Baxter Thwaites

Indeed. Medleys become a way to do half-assed, throwaway versions of things a performer feels obligated to play.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 4, 2011 12:05

Sleepy City
ab
Baxter Thwaites

Indeed. Medleys become a way to do half-assed, throwaway versions of things a performer feels obligated to play.

Exactly. Crap by The Beatles or anyone else for that matter. It's the nadir of any performer's career when they resort to lazy-arsed medleys. Cabaret/Batley Variety Club is right round the corner.

Date: September 4, 2011 12:21

Silver Dagger
Sleepy City
ab
Baxter Thwaites

Exactly. Crap by The Beatles or anyone else for that matter. It's the nadir of any performer's career when they resort to lazy-arsed medleys. Cabaret/Batley Variety Club is right round the corner.

Hmmmm...I must say that I'd love to hear a 5 minute IORR/Brown Sugar/JJFlash/Satisfaction medley in all future shows - if there will be any more shows anyway. They should have thought about that 20 years ago, actually.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 4, 2011 13:00

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 4, 2011 13:04

Hmmmm...I must say that I'd love to hear a 5 minute IORR/Brown Sugar/JJFlash/Satisfaction medley in all future shows - if there will be any more shows anyway. They should have thought about that 20 years ago, actually.[/quote]

The different tunings would complicate the logistics of such a medley: IORR is in standard tuning, Brown Sugar is in open G, JJF is in open G with a capo on the 4th fret, and Satisfaction is in standard tuning. Keef would either need three midsong guitar swaps (like Brian May at Live Aid) or a custom double neck (5-string and 6-string) with a capo at the ready.

If I had a double neck, I'd want two 6-string necks, one for an open tuning and one for standard.

Date: September 4, 2011 13:22

ab
me
Hmmmm...I must say that I'd love to hear a 5 minute IORR/Brown Sugar/JJFlash/Satisfaction medley in all future shows - if there will be any more shows anyway. They should have thought about that 20 years ago, actually.

The different tunings would complicate the logistics of such a medley: IORR is in standard tuning, Brown Sugar is in open G, JJF is in open G with a capo on the 4th fret, and Satisfaction is in standard tuning. Keef would either need three midsong guitar swaps (like Brian May at Live Aid) or a custom double neck (5-string and 6-string) with a capo at the ready.

If I had a double neck, I'd want two 6-string necks, one for an open tuning and one for standard.

oh but the tuning is not that important; Keith could do a few riffs if he felt like it, or he could just clap his hands; standing next to Jagger. I'm sure Chuck would do a fine job doing then all in plain G - hey he even have stored drum-rythms at that keyboard; would make it easier for Charlie, as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-04 13:28 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 4, 2011 13:24

ab

If I had a double neck, I'd want two 6-string necks, one for an open tuning and one for standard.[/quote]

Maybe you'll need one of these.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 4, 2011 14:47

Sleepy City
2nd question, what songs would work well as medleys? Two that spring to mind are:

Love In Vain / I Got The Blues

All Down The Line / Silver Train

I always thought that Luxury - Get Off of My Cloud medley might be wonderful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1632
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home