Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Beast of Burden / Miami 1994
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 28, 2011 17:29

This version is fantastic. One of the only live things after the 1981 tour that has given me the Rolling Stones goosebumps. Woody's solo is amazing. Latte-rday Stones at their best!

Re: Beast of Burden / Miami 1994
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 28, 2011 17:58

thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 28, 2011 19:06

I'm sorry to disagree with you here. Bought the Miami ´94 soundboard for expensive money at the time. Never liked it: the sound was murky and the performance dull and uninspired. The videos doesn't improve that. On the positive side: Jagger's voice was still (more or less) intact and Woody's solo is ok.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 28, 2011 20:45

The sound is cheezy compared '81, but once you get over that its not a bad version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-28 20:45 by ryanpow.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: August 28, 2011 21:00

I've always really liked this version. Nice Woody solo w/an elegant guitar break by Keith - a fine example of a great non-Chick Berry style lead. And I always love the visual in the middle of Mick on the scaffold in front of the dancing She Devil on the screen.

Date: August 28, 2011 21:02

Stoneage
I'm sorry to disagree with you here. Bought the Miami ´94 soundboard for expensive money at the time. Never liked it: the sound was murky and the performance dull and uninspired. The videos doesn't improve that. On the positive side: Jagger's voice was still (more or less) intact and Woody's solo is ok.

True it doesn't have the oomph of, say, the 78/81 versions. But it also improves in a lot of ways, namely Jagger's singing and no saxophone sqwaking.

I was always a little disappointed w/the sound quality of this show as well. It seems that even the best versions still have a thin, flat sound to them.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: August 28, 2011 21:58

theimposter
Stoneage

True it doesn't have the oomph of, say, the 78/81 versions..

Neither does the 1981 version.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 28, 2011 22:14

Stoneage
Bought the Miami ´94 soundboard for expensive money at the time.

Same for me. I think it was $40 or $50 in Westwood.

Date: August 29, 2011 00:11

brianwalker
theimposter
Stoneage

True it doesn't have the oomph of, say, the 78/81 versions..

Neither does the 1981 version.

Eh, I think there's plenty of kick to those sloppy 81 versions - excellent guitar weaving between K & R, Bill's groovy bass, and the freshness of it still being a pretty new song all invigorate it. But I prefer the 94 version - I think it stands as the best live rendition, along w/the 78 version.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 29, 2011 00:59

I also like the Roseland 2002/03 versionfrom 4 flix.

Date: August 29, 2011 01:14

MadMax - I think the 4 Flicks version is the Wiltern theater in L.A. if I am not mistaken. That's a good version from everybody but Keith - he just doesn't add much to it. And if you listen to the actual bootleg (before it was cleaned up for the dvd), he hits a couple of really ugly notes in there.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 29, 2011 01:37

"Band" wise it's much closer to the album version. Mick's singing is OK. Dunno about the 'borrdun' he used for 'burden' and like wise with a few others. Easily better than they did on the 81/82 tour.

A much more faithful version this go round. They let it breathe.

Date: August 29, 2011 03:55

DragonSky
"Band" wise it's much closer to the album version. Mick's singing is OK. Dunno about the 'borrdun' he used for 'burden' and like wise with a few others. Easily better than they did on the 81/82 tour.

A much more faithful version this go round. They let it breathe.

Agreed. Though I always spelled out Mick's singing on the 94 version as "Beast of baahhh-den!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home