Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

0T: 40 years ago - Jimi Hendrix died
Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: September 18, 2010 10:19

Can`t believe that 40 years a gone. But his music is forever "young".
Thanks Jimi! RIP.

Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: novica ()
Date: September 18, 2010 10:16

Today (18.9.) is the 40 years since the death of the most influential and most talented guitarists in the history of rock music.
One of serbian rock journalist Petar Popovic noticed :
..."After the 16th June 1967th The pop music was no longer the same. Everyone who was connected with Monterey pop festival,in any way,tragically ended life in years to come. Otis Redding died in a car accident, Brian Jones drowned in the pool, Janis Joplin was found dead in cheap motel room, Jim Morrison(The Doors did not appear because the coordinators forgot to invite them) will be the victim of a mysterious heart attack in Paris, and Jimi Hendrix will end tragically in London....."

Re: Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: September 18, 2010 11:18

Rest in peace, Jimi!

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 18, 2010 14:47

2 of my favorites together:

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 18, 2010 15:06

yorkey
Rest in peace, Jimi!

Its something about watching a left-handed guitarist especially a great one like Jimmi Hendrix.

(Maybe its because im left-handed myself)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 18, 2010 15:11

love & light to Jimi - thanks & praises, love & light

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 18, 2010 18:40

The best guitarist the world ever had

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 18, 2010 19:31

I thought for Otis Redding it was a plane, not car, crash?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 18, 2010 19:57

cc
I thought for Otis Redding it was a plane, not car, crash?

Right. And if Morrison "wasn't invited" to Monterey Pop how was he then connected to it?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 18, 2010 22:21

Erik_Snow

Yes, him and Jimmy Page and think Jimi just edges it for his creative abilities. He played what he heard in his head - which is a fantastic skill for any musician to have.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 18, 2010 22:26

RIP Jimi.

Date: September 18, 2010 22:27

he has a new boxset coming out in the fall. looks interesting

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 18, 2010 22:37

EVIL MAN MAKE ME KILL YA
EVIL MAN MAKE YOU KILL ME
EVIL MAN MAKE ME KILL YOU
EVEN THOUGH WE'RE ONLY FAMILIES APART

Some things never change.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 18, 2010 22:41

Silver Dagger
Erik_Snow

Yes, him and Jimmy Page and think Jimi just edges it for his creative abilities. He played what he heard in his head - which is a fantastic skill for any musician to have.

edges? it's an enormous edge, then. jimi has never even had a close peer.

Date: September 18, 2010 22:46

Steve Vai said something to the effect that he could play what Hendrix played, but what freaks him out is how did Hendrix know to go there to begin with?

The absolute top musician rock and roll has, and probably will, ever see. Band of Gypsys (IMO) is the peak of rock and roll live albums.

Date: September 18, 2010 22:47

StonesTod
Silver Dagger
Erik_Snow

well there was this guy named jeff beck winking smiley

Date: September 18, 2010 22:52

<edges? it's an enormous edge, then. jimi has never even had a close peer.>

In his genre he never had indeed,imo

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: September 18, 2010 23:02

great lyricist as well.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 18, 2010 23:15

Not my favourite songwriter of guitarist, in fact, but the man was a genuis with the electtric guitar and deserves the credit he recieves, in that respect. His Mayfair home (Brook Street) is open to the public at the moment, I believe.

Date: September 18, 2010 23:31

bernardanderson
great lyricist as well.

I love these lyrics...Hendrix was a wise man at a very young age already...,

Will the wind ever remember
The names it has blown in the past,
And with its crutch, its old age and its wisdom
It whispers, "No, this will be the last."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-18 23:46 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 18, 2010 23:56

Jimi used to work a lot. In a few years he changes his band, his music style. I always wondered what he could have done musically if he had not die...
His cover of All along the watchtower is to me the best cover ever made.

Tonight I listened to Valley Of Neptunes.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 19, 2010 00:11

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-19 16:22 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 19, 2010 00:13

<Jimi used to work a lot. In a few years he changes his band, his music style. I always wondered what he could have done musically if he had not die..>.

There were rumors he was going to work with Miles Davis.
One of his first attempts in that direction you can hear on the jam with John mcLaughlin I posted here. He experiments in a more free style direction already..
Al long road for him to travel though, to become a jazzrocker... if he had stayed alive.
Dope sucks.

Date: September 19, 2010 00:15

keefriffhard4life
StonesTod
Silver Dagger
Erik_Snow

well there was this guy named jeff beck winking smiley

i like jeff beck just fine. even jeff beck would tell you he couldn't hold a candle to jimi.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: September 19, 2010 00:34

Well, he was considering working with what became Emerson, Lake and Palmer (and before that had thought of collaborating with Arthur Brown and Vincent Crane of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown. A while afterwards, Vincent Crane left TCWOAB, along with its new, young drummer, Carl Palmer. They were due to meet with Brian Jones after he left the Stones to talk about working together and after he died formed Atomic Rooster, which Palmer left after one album to become the Palmer in Emerson, Lake and Palmer).

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: September 19, 2010 00:37

A few thoughts

1) I clearly remember hearing that he'd died. I was 15, and a month or so earlier my mates and I were bummed that our parents wouldn't let us travel the 170 miles to hang out in a field with half a million stoned hippies to see Hendrix and The Who at the Isle of Wight. Could never understand why ...

2) It's interesting hearing that McLaughlin Hendrix jam on the YouTube clip back up the thread. Those were two guitarists who greatly influenced Miles Davis, one of the true musical geniuses of the 20thC. McLaughlin got to play with Davis many times (Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, Silent Way etc), but Hendrix never did, much to Davis's disappointment. I often wonder what Agharta would have sounded like with Hendrix instead of Pete Cosey.

3) Hendrix only had one peer on the electric guitar, and that was Frank Zappa. Nobody else came close in terms of creativity and musicianship to those two.

Date: September 19, 2010 01:08

love frank, too - but he doesn't belong in the same convo as jimi, either. jimi had an incredible imagination, and he had the gift of being able to instantly transfer his mind to his hands with no inhibitors or filters....

Date: September 19, 2010 01:10

<love frank, too - but he doesn't belong in the same convo as jimi, either. jimi had an incredible imagination, and he had the gift of being able to instantly transfer his mind to his hands with no inhibitors or filters...>

Zappa was a genius himself. More versatile then Hendrix, but a very different guitar player.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-19 01:15 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: September 19, 2010 02:04

Quite rare pic of Chas Chandler with Jimi at the London Marquee
rehearsin' for the german Beat Club Show March 1967

Another quite rare one Bakersfield California october 1968

R.I.P Jimi
Rest in Peace
Rock in Peace

HMN

Date: September 19, 2010 04:58

When we are long gone, and rock is put in it's rightful musical place, Jimi will be in the same category as Louis Armstrong, Bix, Buddy Rich, Charlie Parker, and a handful of others whose musical innovation and abilities transcend their genre. Late 60s rock music will be as seen as an art movement as indelible as the Impressionist period of the 1800s. No wonder Clapton and the other guitar gods quaked in their boots when Jimi stepped foot on British soil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home