Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: need some marc bolan/T REX help
Date: July 8, 2011 06:53

marc has a ton of demo's and stuff out there. what re the best compilations of this work to buy? it appears he has about 30 cd's of this stuff

Re: OT: need some marc bolan/T REX help
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 8, 2011 07:37

This is one and only official compilation.

This covers most single collection.
T-Rex Wax Co Singles A's & B's 1972-77

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 8, 2011 07:50

Are you asking about compilations of demos only, or any compilations? If the latter, I recommend 20TH CENTURY BOY:

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 8, 2011 07:51

>This is one and only official compilation.

Well no, there are other official compilations. There was a great one in the 80s titled T.REXTASY. And 20TH CENTURY BOY is an official compilation as well.

Date: July 8, 2011 08:32

i am talking about compilations of demo's and stuff. i own most of the actually studio releases and i do own that 20TH CENTURY BOY 1 disc cd

Date: July 8, 2011 09:48

Total T. Rex 1971 - 1972

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 8, 2011 09:52

There is no "best one" because there are loads of demos and outtakes for nearly every album and period. If you ar really into Trex a good tip is to join the facebook page, they send links to demos and outtakes to download for free.

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 8, 2011 11:24

Keefriff, I ended up where you are: owning all the official stuff, and still looking. There is a GREAT disc of demos and rare live takes called "Twopenny Prince". Another one called "The Best of Unchained Series".
What I learned when looking for material by them is to look under Marc Bolan, as much as T. Rex.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 8, 2011 11:33

There's one song I've been after for years but have never found - The Children Of Rarn Suite. The original track bookshelfed the fantastic T.Rex albun in 1971 - in my view Bolan's greatest ever album. But the work was unfinished and 2was completed by Tony Visconti after Bolan's death. I've heard it made it onto a compilation called Marc but have never been able to find it. Anyone know about this track. I think it was extended to around 20 minutes.

Date: July 8, 2011 11:51

Silver Dagger
There's one song I've been after for years but have never found - The Children Of Rarn Suite. The original track bookshelfed the fantastic T.Rex albun in 1971 - in my view Bolan's greatest ever album. But the work was unfinished and 2was completed by Tony Visconti after Bolan's death. I've heard it made it onto a compilation called Marc but have never been able to find it. Anyone know about this track. I think it was extended to around 20 minutes.

its listed on the TOTAL T REX compilation listed a few posts up but no clue what version it is.

Date: July 8, 2011 11:53

Silver Dagger - the cuts you speak of are both on 'Twopenny Prince".

Keeriff, I meant to say: the second title I mention "the Best of Unchained Series" is just that - the best of a series. There is a set of 8 (or maybe even more) discs devoted totally to rarities by him. They are all pretty expensive, there is plenty of doubling up of tracks; so I found getting "best of" was fine.
I assume you have the solo TV shows he did late in his career.

I went through my stuff: there ids a Live disc but the Bonus disc is better (from '74).
There is "Across the Airwaves" many of radio shows - very good.
I have one of his USA radio shows in LA. Called "Spaceball".
When I was collecting him hard I managed to find a series of "Alternates" to his official albums. E.g. "Alternate Slider", Alternate Futuristic Dragon".

I also know I have a disc that is made up of his own home recordings; this is pretty raw. I can see the cover artwork in my mind ( a bunch of cassette tapes) but I can not remember the CD title; nor can I find the actual disc at the moment.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-08 12:54 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: July 8, 2011 12:10

Just the mother hen.smiling smiley
Tyrannosaurus Rex (Marc & Steve Took) was also treasurable.
Psychedelic Rex was a kind of revolution.

Date: July 8, 2011 13:10

Palace Revolution 2000
Silver Dagger - the cuts you speak of are both on 'Twopenny Prince".

Keeriff, I meant to say: the second title I mention "the Best of Unchained Series" is just that - the best of a series. There is a set of 8 (or maybe even more) discs devoted totally to rarities by him. They are all pretty expensive, there is plenty of doubling up of tracks; so I found getting "best of" was fine.
I assume you have the solo TV shows he did late in his career.

I went through my stuff: there ids a Live disc but the Bonus disc is better (from '74).
There is "Across the Airwaves" many of radio shows - very good.
I have one of his USA radio shows in LA. Called "Spaceball".
When I was collecting him hard I managed to find a series of "Alternates" to his official albums. E.g. "Alternate Slider", Alternate Futuristic Dragon".

I also know I have a disc that is made up of his own home recordings; this is pretty raw. I can see the cover artwork in my mind ( a bunch of cassette tapes) but I can not remember the CD title; nor can I find the actual disc at the moment.

thanks for all of the info. i had some pretty big fans recommend me a lot of stuff but told me to check because stuff goes in and out of print and because he was much bigger in the UK than here in the states some stuff is not available here. its odd how much stuff is available by someone who really was only big for a 4 year span. i guess people discovered how great he was after he passed.
here is what i've been told to get thats still in print:"
-work in progress (this is the bunch of cassette tapes cover)
-best of the bbc
-spaceball : the american radio sessions
-total t rex 1971-1972
-best of 1972-1977
-live 1977
-expanded version of the regular albums if i don't already have them
-twopenny prince

there might be some stuff in print on amazon but i can't check until i get home

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-08 13:11 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: July 9, 2011 01:36

Good stuff keefriff. I would most definetly recommend "Twopenny Prince".
I like the alternate albums too. And some live material from his heyday because he was actually not a bad electric guitarist at all.

There is a real shortage of decent fansites for Marc Bolan. There are many but they are terrible; except for MarcBolan Info Page.

Date: July 9, 2011 05:12

someone could make a fortune writing a book that documents what albums of unreleased stuff has the most gems lol

Date: July 9, 2011 15:18

Silver Dagger

is this the version?

Date: July 9, 2011 15:58

Silver Dagger

The Children of Rarn Suite. this one?
The Words And Music Of Marc Bolan 1947-1977

Tony Visconti, Robert Plant & son of Marc smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1376
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home