Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling stones vs the Kinks
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 29, 2011 22:33

my Top 2 "bands" in the middle sixties. Lost The Kinks in the early 70th,when the stones did ya yas, S.F. Exile. in 1978 i saw the kinks live in N.Y.C. great gig. My question: had the Stones any contact with the kinks?

Re: Rolling stones vs the Kinks
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 29, 2011 22:37

Rolling Stones vs. The Kinks?

Oddsmakers list The Stones as a 21 point favorite.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 29, 2011 22:40

I never read they had contacts in the 60's, any interviews from Mick or Keith saying a word on them as opposed to The Beatles or the Who. Anyway, Ray is the rival of Bob on this side of the atlantic.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 29, 2011 23:04

Well, Mick Avory played drums with the Stones, I think for a couple of rehearsals before they played any gigs. And The Kinks were a big influence for Between The Buttons. You can hear it on a few tracks.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 29, 2011 23:40

Ray and Mick knew the Stones for sure in the very early 60's. Ray was playing at the Station hotel with the Dave Hunt band I think around 1962. They also did gigs at Eel Pie Island as of course did the Stones. Mick Avory actually played drums at some gigs with the Stones when the fledgling band was getting some pub and club shows together in a around London. Dave Davies was certainly hard into the London social scene once the Kinks broke big and no doubt imbibed and dabbled with Mick, Brian, and Keith. So yes, these guys certainly knew each other.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 30, 2011 00:05

Two of the best if not the best. What else do you want?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 30, 2011 00:29

of course they knew each other , hanging around in London in the 60's with all the parties........didn't they had a place were they meet think it show in the Guy Pealert book............

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 30, 2011 00:52

I think most groups used to hang out together in those days anyway, whether on tour, doing TV shows, in the studio or just partying.

I've always thought that The Rolling Stones & The Hollies were an unlikely friendship, but it seems that Allan Clarke, Graham Nash & Tony Hicks were all quite close to the band.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home