Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Record Collector 390
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 16, 2011 00:15

Apologies if already posted. Issue 390 has the Stones on the front cover. There's a feature on 'the anniversary they'd like to forget' which is 30 years since their last big hit single.

Re: Record Collector 390
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 16, 2011 01:21

I seriously doubt any of them has ever lost a minute's sleep over it!

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 16, 2011 08:28

and 30 years before that we didn't even have Rock & Roll! Tho the conspiracy was well on the way...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 16, 2011 08:39

and was it 'Neighbours' that was their last big hit single?

2 1 2 0

Date: June 16, 2011 09:56

Not in the UK

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 16, 2011 11:33

"30 years since their last big hit single"

Funny... last night I was listening to a rocxk radio show and the DJ. said "in the 90's you had to sell 100000 copies to top the singles charts nowadays anyone selling 2000 copies is #1".

So being #1 doesn't mean anything, concert attendance is the main criteria.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 16, 2011 14:33

Date: June 16, 2011 14:39

Come On
and was it 'Neighbours' that was their last big hit single?

'Neighbours' wasnt a single.

Last top 10 hit in the UK was 'Start Me Up'.

Although Jagger's duet with Bowie of 'Dancing In The Street' was a No. 1 in 1985.

'Undercover' (No. 11), Harlem Shuffle (13), Love is Strong (14), Like A Rolling Stone (12) and the remix of Sympathy in 2003 (14) came closest.

In the US, since 'Mixed Emotions' reached No. 5 in 1989, only 9 Stones singles have made the Billboard charts - and apart from 'Rock and a hard place' (No. 23 in 1989) and 'Almost Hear You Sigh' (No. 50 in Jan 1990), none have come anywhere near the top 50.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 16, 2011 14:46

Anybody Seen My Baby was a "hit" in Germany.
So that´s just 14 years ago, not 30.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 16, 2011 14:50

Good thing I don't follow them for Billboard Top 40 reasons. Another funny thing is how their tours are always the biggest, though the album sales are supposedly terrible.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 16, 2011 14:52

well, 30 years and "no hits" and still 25 years being the greatest touring band in the world isn't that bad I think....
But Plundred my soul was a #1 hit in Holland last year

Date: June 16, 2011 15:01

frankotero
Good thing I don't follow them for Billboard Top 40 reasons. Another funny thing is how their tours are always the biggest, though the album sales are supposedly terrible.

Wouldnt say they're 'terrible', but they're not what they should be for a band who sell so many concert tickets.

Kinda speaks volumes for the typical Stones audience member these days - someone who wont pay $15 for a CD of a band they like but who will think nothing of spending up to $500 for one of their concert tickets.

Doesnt really augur well for potential sales once their concert days are done.

Date: June 16, 2011 15:19

Gazza
Kinda speaks volumes for the typical Stones audience member these days - someone who wont pay $15 for a CD of a band they like but who will think nothing of spending up to $500 for one of their concert tickets.

I think that's true of many artists. There are plenty of bands from the 70s and 80s (look at the hair metal bands) who make a good living playing in arenas but can't sell records.

I suspect to many fans the Stones are a 'golden oldies' band and while they are prepared to pay out on concert tickets for a good night out rekindling memories they don't need any more Stones records because they are happy with their classics. It's not like seing a new band and listening to new music it's about nostalgia and quality entertainment.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 16, 2011 16:20

Gazza
frankotero

Wouldnt say they're 'terrible', but they're not what they should be for a band who sell so many concert tickets.

Doesnt really augur well for potential sales once their concert days are done.

I also have thought that an amazing stat. IMO, they should package the CD, or 'download code' with the ticket. It would certainly increase the distribution of their new music, to their best target...the people that actually go to shows.

Who cares about actual 'sales' on billboard, if no one is really selling nowadays.

I think this was successful for Prince in the past.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 16, 2011 19:23

Thanks for your posts, Braincapers and Boston 2006! This sheds some light upon the much talked about 50 year jubilee of the band. From my point of view the Rolling Stones were a 60/70-ies band and their last relevant studio album was Tattoo You in 1981. For the last 30 years they have been a revival touring band, albeit a very succesful one. Their album production since 1981 has been pretty much redundant. The last 30 years they have reaped what they sowed in the first twenty.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: June 19, 2011 15:43

no more N°1 but records always (well) placed in the charts..see lists....

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 19, 2011 18:18

There is also the fact that the name (Rolling Stones) sells by itself. If a, by many considered, really bad album like "Dirty Work" can sell so, relatively, good is solely down to the name. You can stamp the name Rolling Stones on almost anything and it sells better. Almost like Walt Disney... .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home