Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club...??
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 7, 2010 20:01

Anyone knows them?

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (BRMC) is an American rock band from San Francisco, California, now based in Los Angeles. BRMC is known for their garage rock, blues, folk revival, neo-psychedelia sound. They are influenced by bands such as: The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Verve, The Rolling Stones, John Lennon, T. Rex, The Velvet Underground and The Jesus and Mary Chain

Re: OT: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club...??
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 7, 2010 20:02

probably my fave active band - some great albums - best of the lot: Howl.

Date: September 7, 2010 20:04

I bought tickets in a little club near my home! Guess I made the right choice

Date: September 7, 2010 20:06

i think you'll be impressed, harm.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: September 7, 2010 20:20

Great band, although I find that about 50% of the tracks on their albums are really excellent and the rest is so-so.

They're a cool live act too. I've seen them a couple of times. In 2005, the first half of their act was made up of the (IMO) so-so tracks, but the second half was awesome. I was a bit disappointed when I saw them again this year, as they only played two or three of my favourites.

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 7, 2010 20:22

StonesTod
probably my fave active band - some great albums - best of the lot: Howl.

On of my faves as well but I prefer the first album and its doppelganger, "Beat The Devils Tattoo."

Date: September 7, 2010 20:26

So, which album should I buy to warm-up?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 7, 2010 21:01

love them - been following them since day one.

Saw them, most recently, in April.
They're new drummer is great, though she's no nutter like good old Nick Jago.

The new album rocks hard and is highly recommended.
They're coming back to London in December.

Date: September 7, 2010 21:04

Harm

get they're self-titled debut and the incredible 'Howl'

Date: September 7, 2010 21:15

Adrian-L
Harm

Thank you everybody...guess I spend too much time here...

Date: September 7, 2010 21:42

Harm
Adrian-L
Harm

Thank you everybody...guess I spend too much time here...

and get the latest if you want to familiarize yourself with many of the songs you'll be hearing in the show...they really don't have a bad album among their five....

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 7, 2010 21:50

Definitely one of my favorite newer bands, along with the Black Keys and the White Stripes. Their first album is their best IMO, altho they're all good. Have seen them live twice and they killed both times.

Date: September 7, 2010 21:56

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 7, 2010 22:05

Used to love the first things I heard from them, the attitude and all.

Saw them live only once but that was enough. Now, I hate to bash bands when they play with the heart and give it all. And so they did. But in all fairness, BRMC was not exactly a memorable act. A good band, but that is it. As noted above, some good songs, some bad, mostly mediocre, and all not played very well.

C

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 7, 2010 22:19

I love thesee guys. Howl was a great disc. I love their heavy stuff too. Never seen them live

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 7, 2010 23:11

yea' I've heard a few of their songs I like them im going to get their HOWL CD.There music is quite popular with our Hells Angels MC downhere.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 8, 2010 01:50

YEah Howl is a great disc. Very Stonesy and Beatlesque...some great grooves on it. Cool production as well. I would be into seeing them.

Date: September 8, 2010 04:37

whitem8
YEah Howl is a great disc. Very Stonesy and Beatlesque...some great grooves on it. Cool production as well. I would be into seeing them.

stones? beatles? hmmm....think The Band....

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: September 8, 2010 05:30

Seen em, have their cd's, they rock, would be an opening act in the old days..I believe they are playing Thurs nite NYC Fashion Week..
RB

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: September 8, 2010 05:51

I haven't listened to hardly any of their music but I am a big fan of Michael Been (the Call) whose son Robert Levon Been is the bass player and vocalist for BRMC. Michael Been was heavily involved in working with BRMC and was the sound engineer for the band. Michael Been unfortunately passed away just a few weeks ago in Belgium at the Pukkelpop 2010 music festival where BRMC was performing. The Call in my opinion was the most underrated band of the past 30 years. I will give BRMC a listen again though after reading the positive comments here.

Date: September 8, 2010 05:59

RockinBud
Seen em, have their cd's, they rock, would be an opening act in the old days..I believe they are playing Thurs nite NYC Fashion Week..
RB

the stones were an opening act in the old daze....i fail to see your point.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 8, 2010 08:15

I enjoy them too, and I would edit the original post in this way...

Harm
They are influenced by bands such as: The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Verve, The Rolling Stones, John Lennon, T. Rex, The Velvet Underground and The Jesus and Mary Chain

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 8, 2010 15:10

I was a big fan of theirs circa 2002-03 and saw them live a couple of times. They were one of the NME's darlings alongside The Strokes for a while. Their former drummer, Nick Jago, was actually from Devon, England and was an absolute nutter. I seem to recall him going to collect an award for the group and instead of making a small speech of any kind of acknowledgment, he just stood there in silence until someone pulled him off the stage.

I have their first two LP's and they're great - especially the first.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 3, 2010 08:36

colonial
yea' I've heard a few of their songs I like them im going to get their HOWL CD.There music is quite popular with our Hells Angels MC downhere.

I had to get the CD in from America it arrived today..after listening to it a few times I really like it yea'.The cover is different to the New Zealand sold ones.

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: December 3, 2010 11:00

seeing them in manchester this sunday, should be good!

Date: December 3, 2010 12:12

cc
I enjoy them too, and I would edit the original post in this way...

Harm
They are influenced by bands such as: The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Verve, The Rolling Stones, John Lennon, T. Rex, The Velvet Underground and The Jesus and Mary Chain

...no doubt about it.
But, after seeing them 3 times in 2010 (I'm becoming a HUGE fan rapidly...) I do hear some Beatles, the Godfathers, even Oasis (probably same as your reference to the Verve, Harm) e.a. in there too. In fact, there's a serious couple of bands/ sounds/ styles that you can hear in their music; and still they always sound like themselves.
I highly appreciate their 'trippy' take on 'Americana'; rough & bleeding country honk roots, stuff like that - things that HOWL was very well equiped with.
Great voices, great harmonies, great musicianship (it's always hard to tell, but they come accross as great-GREAT musicians to me... maybe no virtuosos, but hey: who needs THAT?!)

Enjoy the Manchester gig tonite, JuniorJF!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-03 12:13 by MississippiBullfrog.

Date: December 3, 2010 12:27

They are a good band; once you know them you' ll recognize their sound and writing I would start with their first album, and then "Howl". While "Howl" is their best, it isn't the one to start with.
Of their newer ones, "Baby 81" wasn't that great, while "beat the Devil's Tattoo" is very good again.
All IMO.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 3, 2010 21:34

If you check out the Blue Lena shrine site,and go to the June 12,1999,Wembley gig you will see a shot I took of Keef in a vest with the Black rebel Motorcycle club on.

Date: December 4, 2010 00:49

Saw them a few weeks ago.....thumbs down

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home