Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: First three Kinks albums remastered and released in Deluxe expanded editions
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 6, 2011 09:44

They look great! And a lot of bonus material. Including mono mixes! I have ordered and will spend the summer listening...

Re: OT: First three Kinks albums remastered and released in Deluxe expanded editions
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 6, 2011 09:54

It's the next four that are the killers though. Kontroversy, Face To Face, Something Else and Village Green Preservation Society. They are also coming out in expanded formats although what they can add to Village Green, which is already available in 3 disc format, remains to be seen. Great news.

Re: OT: First three Kinks albums remastered and released in Deluxe expanded editions
Date: June 6, 2011 09:56

Yes, I will most likely pass on Village Green, I have the three disc version. I am anxious though to see what they will do to Face to Face, and eventually Musswell Hillbillies!!

Date: June 6, 2011 10:01

Don't know if Muswell Hillbillies will be included as that was on a different label - over here at least, on RCA. Info about the other track listings have been made available. There's nothing too rare but they'll be in better quality at least than the boots.

Date: June 6, 2011 15:11

Silver Dagger
Don't know if Muswell Hillbillies will be included as that was on a different label - over here at least, on RCA. Info about the other track listings have been made available. There's nothing too rare but they'll be in better quality at least than the boots.

yeah i think they are stopping this deluxe treatment once they get to the albums where they switched labels. imo ray davies was the best songwriter to come from england in that era of bands (the stones, the beatles, the who, the kinks, the animals, etc)

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 6, 2011 15:38

I'll be passing on these as I have the 90's reissues, which included all B-sides, EP tracks, etc.

Date: June 6, 2011 15:43

keefriffhard4life
Silver Dagger

yeah i think they are stopping this deluxe treatment once they get to the albums where they switched labels. imo ray davies was the best songwriter to come from england in that era of bands (the stones, the beatles, the who, the kinks, the animals, etc)

He was certainly up there with the best and gave John n Paul and Mick n Keith a run for their money. There was a point from mid-65 to the Preservation Society album in 68 where his songwriting almost reached Dylan status, both in terms of tunes and lyrics.

He really captured the spirit of the age by looking at life without the need of rose-tinted glasses - remembering the past as much as celebrating the present!

Date: June 6, 2011 17:22

Silver Dagger
keefriffhard4life
Silver Dagger

He was certainly up there with the best and gave John n Paul and Mick n Keith a run for their money. There was a point from mid-65 to the Preservation Society album in 68 where his songwriting almost reached Dylan status, both in terms of tunes and lyrics.

He really captured the spirit of the age by looking at life without the need of rose-tinted glasses - remembering the past as much as celebrating the present!

the whole thing is you had to name duo songwriters where ray was doing it mostly by himself. BTW on the first album "just can't go to sleep" is a killer tune

Date: June 6, 2011 17:22

Big Al
I'll be passing on these as I have the 90's reissues, which included all B-sides, EP tracks, etc.

these new versions still have stuff on them thats not on the 90's reissues

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 6, 2011 18:20

One way we can't compare The Kinks to The Stones & The Beatles is via these amazing reissues. If only we had something similar for 'Aftermath', 'Rubber Soul' etc.

Date: June 6, 2011 20:04

well one thing is mostly davies believe in the songs he wrote so even if they are unfinished or demo's or tunes that didn't make it onto albums he feels they are good enough the public should here them. the stones on the other hand seem to feel exactly the opposite. the beatles did give us those 3 anthology collections

Date: June 6, 2011 20:22

keefriffhard4life
the beatles did give us those 3 anthology collections

Yes, & (better still) the BBC recordings, but that was all 15-17 years ago. There's nothing stopping them releasing expanded versions of their albums with singles, alternate mixes, outtakes, etc...except money of course.

Date: June 6, 2011 20:34

not sure why money is stopping them? the beatles would make a killing releasing something like that

Date: June 6, 2011 20:46

keefriffhard4life
not sure why money is stopping them? the beatles would make a killing releasing something like that

But then (new) fans wouldn't buy the singles collections, the anthologies, the BBC recordings, etc. Also they (certainly Macca) seem to think that their albums are somehow sacred, & would be ruined by bonus tracks...unless they suddenly decide to rewrite history (ie. Let It Be Naked).

Date: June 7, 2011 02:58

Not true. Macca re-released his entire collection with bonus tracks. As did Lennon, Harrison and Starr. But for The Beatles they didn't want to add bonus tracks to the original albums, as to keep them historically accurate. However, there has been talk for a long time of releasing alternative albums. Ringo let that slip in an interview that they were planning on alternative albums that would mimic the originals but with all unreleased alternative mixes etc...didn't happen, most probably because they didn't want to flood the market and reduce the value and had the re-mastering project in the wind as well. So we shall see. I bet it happens sometime in the future.

The Kinks reissues that Ryko did was fantastic, with a plethera of material, hard to get B-sides, unreleased tracks and AMAZINGLY written liner notes with great historical information. I was able to scoop up all of them from Arthur up to Give the People What they Want. Not only did they have great bonus material, but where remastered and sound fantastic! So these early albums finally being released with bonus material is a gold mine! I can't wait to listen to them.

Back to The Beatles. I am fine with them not adding bonus tracks to the original albums, and like what they did with the remastering mono and stereo box sets. Very well done indeed. And I do think the vaults will fly open again. There will be yet another big Beatles project that will reignite their commercial jaugernaut.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 7, 2011 04:52

The Kinks Katalogue (sorry) has been well presented previously, particularly the golden lost years mid late 60s to 70ish. My only bitch has been the lack of any bonus track off their best "concept" period LP, "Schoolboys in Disgrace". And what on Earth can they do with "Village Green" -- the only album with more permutations is "Pet Sounds"! Anyway, it seems barrels are being scraped other than just rehashing....

Anyway, as I have stated elsewhere, for me it isn't a matter of who is better --- obviously the Beatles/Stones/Dylan lead the vanguard of 60s artists in terms of popularity and impact. But the Kinks are right there with them considering the songs and records. Which you prefer is a matter of taste.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 7, 2011 05:19

Can someone please tell me which Kinks songs Jimmy Page played on? I've read that the Kinks were upset that he was brought in to play the solos.

Thanks

Date: June 7, 2011 05:59

Supposidly played on You Really Got Me, but Ray is adminant that he did not.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 7, 2011 06:22

Page played rhythm for them on some tracks, not leads. Of course, rhythm is fairly prominent on those early records!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 7, 2011 08:55

This was the only Kinks-album I had back in -65, and it beated all of them regulary albums I thought...

..and I was right grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 7, 2011 17:41

I believe Page plays on "I've Been Driving on Bald Mountain." His main Kinks-related work was on Shel Talmy's KINKY MUSIC lounge album.

The new Deluxe reissues take the Sanctuary bonus tracks from the 90's add in mono mixes, the relevant tracks from the BBC Sessions, and the relevant tracks from the PICTURE BOOK box set of outtakes and alternate versions. VILLAGE GREEN is the same 3-disc version but ARTHUR is being given the deluxe treatment. This is limited to the Pye catalog except for MUSWELL HILLBILLIES, the first RCA album. Rather odd decision, but glad they're doing it all the same.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 7, 2011 19:11

About Jimmy Page:
"I'll tell you something about Jimmy Page. Jimmy Page thinks he was the first person in the world to ever put a B string where a G string should be. And for me, that's his only claim to fame. Other than that, I think he's an assh*le.
Jimmy Page and a lot of other people subsequently came to our sessions when we became hot, and I think he played rhythm 12-string on "I'm A Lover, Not A Fighter", and he played tambourine on "Long Tall Shorty".
I remember Page coming to one of our sessions when we were recording "All Day And All Of The Night". We had to record that song at 10 o'clock in the morning because we had a gig that night. It was done in three hours. Page was doing a session in the other studio, and he came in to hear Dave's solo, and he laughed and he snickered. And now he says that he played it! So I think he's an assh*le, and he can put all the curses he wants on me because I know I'm right and he's wrong. He's an assh*le. Dave is a great guitar player. He's got his limitations, but he's never been given justice for doing that. He made that when he was 16-years-old. He created a sound, and after that came Jimi Hendrix and all the fuzz boxes" Ray Davies, 1981.

Date: June 7, 2011 19:25

stones78
About Jimmy Page:
"I'll tell you something about Jimmy Page. Jimmy Page thinks he was the first person in the world to ever put a B string where a G string should be. And for me, that's his only claim to fame. Other than that, I think he's an assh*le.
Jimmy Page and a lot of other people subsequently came to our sessions when we became hot, and I think he played rhythm 12-string on "I'm A Lover, Not A Fighter", and he played tambourine on "Long Tall Shorty".
I remember Page coming to one of our sessions when we were recording "All Day And All Of The Night". We had to record that song at 10 o'clock in the morning because we had a gig that night. It was done in three hours. Page was doing a session in the other studio, and he came in to hear Dave's solo, and he laughed and he snickered. And now he says that he played it! So I think he's an assh*le, and he can put all the curses he wants on me because I know I'm right and he's wrong. He's an assh*le. Dave is a great guitar player. He's got his limitations, but he's never been given justice for doing that. He made that when he was 16-years-old. He created a sound, and after that came Jimi Hendrix and all the fuzz boxes" Ray Davies, 1981.

Haha, great quote! thumbs up

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 7, 2011 21:31

Kinks are also working on a movie with Jack White based on "Schoolboys In Disgrace "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-07 21:34 by boston2006.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home