Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

CD Bobby Keys - question
Posted by: kees ()
Date: October 20, 2007 16:12

In Japan just this week a CD (bootleg) of Bobby Keyes came in the market. Title 'Bobby Keys' No info on it, except that it was produced by Chris Kimnsey and Jim Price played on it too. Shopowner of BlindFaith told me Clapton is supposed to play on it too, however it 's not known on which songs.
CD contains some 6/7 songs in great sound, likely recorded in the beginning of the 70-ties.

Does anybody know more about this release?

Re: CD Bobby Keys - question
Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: October 20, 2007 16:27

Yes, it is Bobby Keys self titled solo record. An old friend of mine claims Mick Taylor was also on a track or two.

Date: October 20, 2007 17:16

it is a bootleg. Is there a way that more detailed info can be obtained?

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: October 20, 2007 19:30

No real mention of whose who on the original LP sleeve. I too would like more information. I have a CDR of the original LP

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 20, 2007 22:18

The personnel is not on the sleeve....exept jim Price...
Only engineers...producers...studios...photos...cover design...art direction..!!!!

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: October 21, 2007 02:39

its a boot of a legit release solo album Bobby did back in the 70's

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 21, 2007 02:50

Released officially on Warners in 1972

Date: October 21, 2007 04:01

thank you - So did Taylor and Clapton play on the album?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 21, 2007 05:07

It has a song called "bootleg."
Considering maddog and D&B connection, Eric's work would happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 16:09 by Toru A.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 21, 2008 15:47

I wish this album would come out on CD already! It's a gaping hole in my Stones collection, along with Blondie's first album!!!

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 21, 2008 17:09

..Who want to buy the original LP..??

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 21, 2008 17:25

Would like to have this on cd as well. Can anyone tell me if its any good, never heard it before.

Nicky Hopkins first solo album is very good and worth checking out. Had to get that one for the collection and Mick Taylor is also on that.

By the way. I would never consider Blondie Chaplin as something I'd throw in my Stones collection, just my own opinion..

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 21, 2008 23:38

Good album....stylistically, short on solos (bobby's are few and far between) and long on horn arragements...think Chicago Transit Authority circa 1969 for reference. Mick Taylor is NOT on the album....

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 22, 2008 01:25

I was listening to the "jam" portion of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" the other day. Bobby is on a couple of the jams and the last one in particular is very "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'"like - six months before Sticky Fingers. I remember making the connection when I was a kid but I hadn't thought of it in 37 years!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 22, 2008 09:18

Bootleg is a Booker T & the MGs song. I see one track written by (Felix) Pappalardi, '60s producer (Cream, Youngbloods, etc) who formed Mountain before his wife shot & kilt him in '83. This is the closest I've ever been to the Keys solo album. Even his son asked me once if I knew where to get a copy. I bet it's better than Jesse Ed Davis' (great guitarist) solo stuff, since it probably has less singing.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 22, 2008 09:20

To add something completely different Felix Pappalardi
produced Danish Gasolin's last album.
Gotta track down this record. I actually dreamt I went to a
vinyl record fair tonite.

Date: February 22, 2008 14:59

Well I am a huge fan of Blondie's Between US album, and am dying to hear his first album. I also have Bernard's, Lisa's, and Tim Ries' Stones Project albums - none of which would I have picked up had they not been the back up singers for the band, and you know..........surprisingly I have not been disappointed with a single one of them.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 22, 2008 15:48

VoodooLounge13
Well I am a huge fan of Blondie's Between US album, and am dying to hear his first album. I also have Bernard's, Lisa's, and Tim Ries' Stones Project albums - none of which would I have picked up had they not been the back up singers for the band, and you know..........surprisingly I have not been disappointed with a single one of them.

"PICARESQUE" ---Ray Ohara (ex Sadistic Mika Band and Ian Mclagan's Bump Band)

All songs of this album were written by Blondie Chaprin.
Rey Ohara - Bass,Vocals
Blondie Chaplin - Vocals (All songs).
Lynn Mabry - Vocals.
Bonnie Raitt - Vocal and SlideGuitar.
Bernard Davis - Drums

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-23 02:17 by Toru A.

Date: February 22, 2008 16:44

Thanks, Toru! I see that this and his Skollie release are going to be near impossible to locate but I'll do my best!

Date: February 23, 2008 02:28

here are the contributors to bk's '72 eponymous lp:

jack bruce - bass
george harrison - guitar
dave mason - guitar
ringo - drums
nicky hopkins - kybds
corky laing - drums
jim price - horn, kybds
jim gordon - drums
bobby keys - sax
felix pappalardi - bass
carl radle - bass
john uribe - guitar
mike utley - kybds
klaus voorman - bass
leslie west - guitar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-23 02:35 by T&A.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 23, 2008 02:37

hey Tod..whats up....

Date: February 23, 2008 02:50

Thanks T&A! BTW Is the album as dull as your post suggests (Chicago?) - Bobby's such a great Texas rock 'n' roll saxman, who's added classic solos to so many Stones tracks....(not to mention with Delaney & Bonnie etc) - his tone has that grit that David Sanborn (or ugh Ernie Watts) despite technical proficiency can't replicate...Very much in the '50s r&b/r 'n' r tradition...I mean Leslie West who embodies thick chunky heaviosity in his gtr don't add some dirt? as for the BK lp: What an all star cast! The Beatles! Mountain! Cream! West Bruce & Laing!!! Plastic Ono Band! Traffic! Derek & the Dominos!!! Jeff Beck Group!!! (Nicky) hmmm, Yet somehow Warner bros didn't bother to release it in the states during that period when every backup singer (Merry Clayton, Rita Coolidge, Claudia Linnear, etc) and sessioneer (Reebop! oops, he WAS in Traffic) had their shot. Does anybody have the "Dave Mason & Mama Cass" album???

Date: February 23, 2008 02:58

Wait, who's John Uribe and how he'd get let in here?

Date: February 25, 2008 17:51

Gazza
hey Tod..whats up....

hey gary - not much...don't get onto iorr much anymore. growing old gracefully or something.....probably get back to my home away from home in '09....maybe hook up then....

Posted by: alonestone ()
Date: May 15, 2011 21:02

John Uribe was a session guitarist, he plays on Jim Price's solo lps (much easier to find than Keys lp). Much more obscure than Uribe is a guy named Charlie Freeman who also plays on the Keys lp, I don't know ANYTHING about him.

From something I read, the musician credits were only listed on a sticker on the front cover (when the album was originally released). I own a copy and there is no sticker, no insert or info on the inner sleeve.
A good album, all instrumental. Who plays on which tracks is completely down to speculative guesswork, but Leslie West is certain to appear on song "Key West",

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 15, 2011 21:06

John Uribe also played on Chris Jagger's first two solo albums (1970s). One of the sessions' band was connected to Status Quo too. Him?

Posted by: torgrimr ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:21

T&A
here are the contributors to bk's '72 eponymous lp:

jack bruce - bass
george harrison - guitar
dave mason - guitar
ringo - drums
nicky hopkins - kybds
corky laing - drums
jim price - horn, kybds
jim gordon - drums
bobby keys - sax
felix pappalardi - bass
carl radle - bass
john uribe - guitar
mike utley - kybds
klaus voorman - bass
leslie west - guitar
Eric Clapton also participate...

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: June 7, 2011 11:38

Speaking of Corky Laing, Im on the lookout for any of his All Star Band Bootlegs with Mick Taylor, Ive only recently heard about these boots and am interested in having a listen, has anybody heard them and are they any good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home