Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Elvis Costello Performs "Out Of Time"
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 23, 2011 07:04

Wonderful show tonight at the Beacon in NYC. Elvis Costello led the Imposters through two and a half hours of great music using the Spectacular Spinning Songbook. Audience members (including Mike Myers) were invited onstage to spin the big wheel, which held 40 Costello songs as well as covers. A great surprise was that they closed the main part of the show with a rousing version of the Stones' "Out Of Time", performed very faithfully, complete with audience singalong. He also threw in "Substitute" by The Who and "Girl" by the Beatles. Elvis often wandered into the audience to sing (your correspondent had a set right in front of the stage steps). I'm going back for more Monday and Tuesday.

At least someone is keeping Stones music alive onstage in 2011.

Re: Elvis Costello Performs "Out Of Time"
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 23, 2011 07:09

Wow....one hellava night!! Out of Time? Substitute?? Hopefully, Youtube and pics follow!!!

Date: May 23, 2011 07:48

Chris Fountain
Wow....one hellava night!! Out of Time? Substitute?? Hopefully, Youtube and pics follow!!!

Yep, great night Chris. My cell phone camera is not very good, unfortunately. Hopefully someone will post some stuff on YouTube.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 23, 2011 09:31

That sounds amazing! I bet he does a great version of Girl, his voice is perfect for it.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 23, 2011 19:58

Speaking of Elvis C....At the grocery store I saw a Rolling Stone special edition magazine, "The 100 Greatest Artists of All Time." Silly stuff, but irresistable. You have to take a peek. What was interesting was not the list, but the comments written about the various artists. They were written by other musicians. Costello wrote about The Beatles. He related being involved in a show with McCartney and how the audience went NUTS on the closing Beatles number (it might have been "I Saw Her Standing There," but I am not sure). The impact of the audience reaction made Costello say he realized why the band broke up. He said "They did not own the music anymore. We all did." Interesting comment.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 23, 2011 20:09

whitem8
That sounds amazing! I bet he does a great version of Girl, his voice is perfect for it.

That was the first thing I was thinking too............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-24 00:05 by NICOS.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 23, 2011 20:52

Saw him open for the Stones in 2002. One of the best opening acts they ever had.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 24, 2011 04:47

He has frequently cited AFTERMATH as one of his favorite albums.

Date: May 24, 2011 06:04

Update: EC played "Out Of Time" again tonight. Again, a crowd pleaser. Ironic that the Stones never play this one. "And Your Bird Can Sing" is on the wheel, but we didn't get it (again). He did go into Prince's "Purple Rain", however, and they were joined onstage by Pete Thomas' daughter Tennessee, who had a drum set directly behind Dad's, and doubled every beat and fill on "Peace, Love & Understanding". She looked like she was having the time of her life. No celebs tonight, unless you count T Bone Burnett. The go-go dancers were extra hot this evening. Hoping for some Dylan tomorrow night for Bob's birthday.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 24, 2011 06:17

That's funny about "Purple Rain" because I remember seeing him on Letterman in the early 80s -- DL asked him what he thought of Prince, and Elvis' response was "He's an imposter". Ironic considering EC's current band, no?

Date: May 25, 2011 06:17

Just got back from the Beacon (the sound of the show still ringing in my ears). Tonight Elvis had the entire theater singing the Rolling Stones - "Out Of Time" again. Amazing how well this song has aged. Everyone knew the words too. Elvis walked into the crowd again, singing and everyone went nuts. We were also treated to a lovely solo acoustic version of Dylan's "License To Kill" for Bob's birthday, and a verse of "Subterranean Homesick Blues" over "Pump It Up". Other highlights: The Beatles "And Your Bird Can Sing", McCartney's "Let Me Roll It", "Accidents Will Happen" and "Party Girl". Elvis invited a heckler onstage at which point the show very nearly veered out of control, but he kept it together.

I also want to add that strange things seem to happen to even the most demure women when they step into a Go-Go cage and start to dance.

Costello has evolved from the Angry Young Man he was in the late 70s to one of the warmest and most enjoyable entertainers out there - and if anyone thought he might have lost his edge, we got a harrowing "I Want You".

Date: May 25, 2011 06:52

Wow! What a show. And Your Bird Can Sing and Let Me Roll it! Whew! And very good melding of Pump it Up with Subterranean! Perfect match! Your a lucky man Tele!

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 25, 2011 06:52

Date: May 25, 2011 06:57

Date: May 25, 2011 16:04

Thanks Bingo!

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: May 26, 2011 21:58

Nobody has a link to Out of time cover?? Please I want it for my blog ;-)

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 26, 2011 22:47

here's out of time - starts in the middle

Date: May 27, 2011 00:12

This is from yesteryear but well worth checking out!

Date: May 27, 2011 02:36

Garcia is playing Elvis' fender Jaguar. Elvis later said Jerry didn't know what to do with this guitar because of the "Elvis Costello" custom inlay on the fretboard!

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: May 27, 2011 03:00

Great Out of time - couldn't help but notice how much Elvis looks like Woodie Allen with the hat and glasses

Date: May 27, 2011 04:17

WOW! That is a smoking version of Out of Time. Elvis's voice is stellar! I love when he sings, "your obsolete my baby!" Sublime!

Date: May 27, 2011 04:29

71Tele
Garcia is playing Elvis' fender Jaguar. Elvis later said Jerry didn't know what to do with this guitar because of the "Elvis Costello" custom inlay on the fretboard!

Jerry also said the action on Elvis' guitar was too high. You really had to press hard on the strings. Garcia said after that night, he never left his house w/o his guitar again. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-27 04:29 by Bingo.

Date: May 27, 2011 04:52

Anyone know what those two amps are with Elvis, the ones with "65" on them? He was using a lot of pedals and three amps. Steve Nieve also had what appeared to be three guitar stomp boxes on top of his Vox Continental, which he fiddled with from time to time. Steve always amazes me, and he has become much more animated in recent years, even doing some backing vocals now and then, which he never used to do.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 27, 2011 15:16

...very nice Out of Time...his talk show on A&E or whatever channel it was on was always informative....apparently he wowed the critics in NYC with his opening at the Beacon alone....

"Elvis Costello came out of the gate on May 24th – the last night of a three-show run at New York's Beacon Theater and the final date of his "Revolver Tour" – like he was playing the concert in reverse. The singer-guitarist and his Imposters – drummer Pete Thomas, bassist Davey Faragher and keyboard player Steve Nieve, Costello's long-serving update of the Attractions – jumped into what, on any other evening, would have been a rush of encores: "I Hope You're Happy Now," Nick Lowe's "Heart of the City," "Mystery Dance," "Uncomplicated" and "Radio Radio."

Posted by: ECFAN ()
Date: June 3, 2011 15:39

Does anyone have the video of Elvis Costello doing Out of Time at Beacon on 5/24/11? Ive seen one 5/24/11 clip on youtube, but im looking for a different angle, like from whoever shot the 5/24 clips that are posted above. thanks.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: June 3, 2011 15:58

Ummmm. Never been into Costello at all, but just watch some of the clips, good stuff, keep the rock music alive!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1660
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home