Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Are Rolling Stones Latin America's Most Popular Rock 'N' Roll Band?
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: May 21, 2011 00:52

Just curious what your thoughts and opinions are on this one. When I watch my Biggest Bang DVD and see how the Stones are received in Buenos Aires and Rio it immediately conjures up thoughts of Beatlemania. I guess my question is, are all big rock acts (like U2, etc.) received in this fashion in Buenos Aires, Rio, and Latin America in general, or is this treatment unique to the Stones?

Re: Are Rolling Stones Latin America's Most Popular Rock 'N' Roll Band?
Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 21, 2011 01:19

Dear stonescrow

The Rio concert was a touristic event. More than 90% of the people didn´t know anything about the Stones and they were there just to see a big event on the beach. The concert was to promote the Rio city on TV around the world. But no more than 10% of the audience were Stones fans.

Concerning Buenos Aires, yes... It´s easy to answer...The Stones are the most popular and important band for the argentineans guys. In Brazil not. U2 is much more popular in brazil than the Stones.

I am journalist. So, I am not writing like a stones fan but like a professional. And I need to say the true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-21 01:19 by carlostones10.

Date: May 21, 2011 02:10

carlostones10
Dear stonescrow

The Rio concert was a touristic event. More than 90% of the people didn´t know anything about the Stones and they were there just to see a big event on the beach. The concert was to promote the Rio city on TV around the world. But no more than 10% of the audience were Stones fans.

Concerning Buenos Aires, yes... It´s easy to answer...The Stones are the most popular and important band for the argentineans guys. In Brazil not. U2 is much more popular in brazil than the Stones.

I am journalist. So, I am not writing like a stones fan but like a professional. And I need to say the true.

Carlostones,

Thank you very much, your unbiased professionalism is very much appreciated. I am surprised that only about 150,000 of the estimated 1.5 million on the beach in Rio were actual Stones fans. Sure seemed like the vast majority of those in attendance really got into the music. Any chance they won over a few hundred thousand new fans that evening? I think the fans in Buenos Aires deserve to host the final Stones concert whenever they decide to retire, they are the greatest Stones fans in the world in my opinion.

Date: May 21, 2011 02:46

stonescrow
carlostones10
Dear stonescrow

Carlostones,

Thank you very much, your unbiased professionalism is very much appreciated. I am surprised that only about 150,000 of the estimated 1.5 million on the beach in Rio were actual Stones fans. Sure seemed like the vast majority of those in attendance really got into the music. Any chance they won over a few hundred thousand new fans that evening? I think the fans in Buenos Aires deserve to host the final Stones concert whenever they decide to retire, they are the greatest Stones fans in the world in my opinion.

Hi, yes. Several young guys know the Stones music watching the concert on TV and they are good Stones fans now. I know a lot of situations of new stones fans. On IORR we have a girl called Jaggerzita. She is 17 years old. She is a fan from Copacabana concert. She watched the show on TV and there are many other similar cases.

But in Argentina the Stones really are very popular. The argentineans are 100% crazy guys.

Posted by: boituvense ()
Date: May 21, 2011 03:05

I agree with carlostones, Argentina loves The Rolling Stones, here in Brazil, tst, tst........

Posted by: agorachief ()
Date: May 21, 2011 03:56

U2 might have that honor (but don't tell Keith that...)

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 21, 2011 04:24

Buy the new AC/DC DVD also filmed in Buenos Aires (with special features devoted strictly to the fan base) and then see if you think the Stones are the only band that matters there.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 21, 2011 04:43

boituvense
I agree with carlostones, Argentina loves The Rolling Stones, here in Brazil, tst, tst........

why do my Brazilian friends(musicians) here in California insist they are not latino or latina? I get in trouble when I refer to them as that...and they never really answer me.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 21, 2011 04:52

stonescrow
I am surprised that only about 150,000 of the estimated 1.5 million on the beach in Rio were actual Stones fans. Sure seemed like the vast majority of those in attendance really got into the music. Any chance they won over a few hundred thousand new fans that evening?

It was a free concert. In any event like that you're going to have a large % of the audience to be there primarily for something to do or a free night out as part of an 'event'.

Really cant see how anyone can say the 'vast majority' of the crowd were really into the music based on tv footage shot at night. How easy is it to 'get into' any concert in a big way when you're literally a mile or two away from the stage?

No doubt the Stones gained a lot of new fans - it was an excellent performance - but those kind of events wouldnt attract a 'typical' crowd for ANY act.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 21, 2011 05:02

The Stones WERE the most popular rock band in Argentina during the 90's, no doubt about it, but nowadays it's very hard to listen Stones music on the radio.
I think U2 matched the Stones since 2000 or so thanks to big radio hits, they did sell 3 stadiums a month ago much more faster than the Stones in 2006.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 21, 2011 05:09

MKjan
why do my Brazilian friends(musicians) here in California insist they are not latino or latina? I get in trouble when I refer to them as that...and they never really answer me.

Perhaps because they are not Spanish speaking (Hispanics)? And maybe there is a negative connotation to the word latino in the U.S.? In Brazil they speak Portuguese.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 21, 2011 06:11

Stoneage
MKjan

Perhaps because they are not Spanish speaking (Hispanics)? And maybe there is a negative connotation to the word latino in the U.S.? In Brazil they speak Portuguese.

I thought that too Stonage, but Portuguese is a latin based language as much as Spanish is, and maybe it is more about the connotation you mentioned, but all my other friends from Uruguay and Argentina and Ecuador just laugh when I tell them this, and they say Brazilians are definitely latino.

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: May 21, 2011 08:37

stonescrow
Just curious what your thoughts and opinions are on this one. When I watch my Biggest Bang DVD and see how the Stones are received in Buenos Aires and Rio it immediately conjures up thoughts of Beatlemania. I guess my question is, are all big rock acts (like U2, etc.) received in this fashion in Buenos Aires, Rio, and Latin America in general, or is this treatment unique to the Stones?

The Ramones were pretty massive in South America, too.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: May 21, 2011 10:48

Justin
Buy the new AC/DC DVD also filmed in Buenos Aires (with special features devoted strictly to the fan base) and then see if you think the Stones are the only band that matters there.

Agree with you Justin!
I thought the Stones fans were "nuts" at River Plate. But when you see the AC/DC audience... Oh my. A mystery if none got killed at the "floor" in there.
Love the DVD (Blu-ray)!

Can't wait for the next tour (Stones, if...), and River Plate. I just have to see them there once.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: May 21, 2011 11:32

carlostones10
Dear stonescrow

totally agree, Carlos

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: May 22, 2011 00:57

stonescrow

I think the fans in Buenos Aires deserve to host the final Stones concert whenever they decide to retire, they are the greatest Stones fans in the world in my opinion.

Very nice words from your part stonescrow! Well, come on here and enjoy the party with us!

André, thanks for your words also, you know us very well as you come here frecuently!

Concerning the thead, well you can't include all latinamerican countries in one and only bag. For Argentina the Rolling Stones are certainly the most popular Rock 'N' Roll band, but as you can see there are also many more poular bands: AC/DC, U2, Kiss, Ramones, Iron Maiden. Btw the German Die Toten Hosen is the band that most have played here, they are local here! There is no doubt that we give the bands we like the best welcome to our land!

Buenos Aires really knows how to rock hard!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-22 06:11 by Quique-stone.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: May 22, 2011 01:41

USA =#1

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: May 22, 2011 01:45

I believe Queen were one of THE biggest bands in Latin America during the early to mid 80s...

Date: May 22, 2011 01:57

Sleepy City
I believe Queen were one of THE biggest bands in Latin America during the early to mid 80s...

You are right Peter! But again don't include all countries!

Date: May 22, 2011 03:48

I don´t have any doubt. The Stones are the most popular band in Argentina.
In Brazil not. But in Argentina is 100% sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-22 03:52 by carlostones10.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 22, 2011 04:21

at the moment they are not even remotely close to being the most popular band in latin america or anywhere else for that matter, what have you done for me lately?

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: May 22, 2011 10:13

melillo
at the moment they are not even remotely close to being the most popular band in latin america or anywhere else for that matter, what have you done for me lately?

A band doesn't have to do anything to remain popular. Look at The Beatles...

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 22, 2011 10:51

I guess it's not just about music in this case. Imagine yourself being around thousands of hot scantily clad women on a beach dancing their arses off,
drinking beer, making out and listening to music. It doesn't probably matter whether it's Journey, Modern Talking or U2 performing, the gals and dudes in the audience would go crazy anyway.

Date: May 22, 2011 14:19

melillo

You can´t talk south america like a country. South america is a continent and each country is much different.

In Argentina Stones are the most popular rock band. In Brazil not. I don´t know about Uuruguay, Chile, Peru, Venezuela, Bolivia, Paraguay, etc.
It´s impossible mention south america like a country.

Date: May 22, 2011 19:11

Quique-stone
stonescrow

I think the fans in Buenos Aires deserve to host the final Stones concert whenever they decide to retire, they are the greatest Stones fans in the world in my opinion.

Very nice words from your part stonescrow! Well, come on here and enjoy the party with us!

André, thanks for your words also, you know us very well as you come here frecuently!

Concerning the thead, well you can't include all latinamerican countries in one and only bag. For Argentina the Rolling Stones are certainly the most popular Rock 'N' Roll band, but as you can see there are also many more poular bands: AC/DC, U2, Kiss, Ramones, Iron Maiden. Btw the German Die Toten Hosen is the band that most have played here, they are local here! There is no doubt that we give the bands we like the best welcome to our land!

Thanks for the invitation, mate, If only I was about thirty years younger, not that I am that old, (60). I have never been much of a traveler, especially these days. I did make it to California about three years ago and that is as far as I have ever been away from the NW. I sure hope they get back to Argentina at least one more time and I hope it makes it onto the DVD, nothing like the fans in Buenos Aires, you guys are the greatest.

Thanks for the excellent input. If you had to make a guess who do you think is the overall favorite band in South America among all the countries? I mean if a poll was taken in each country in South America and the results were combined how do you think the Stones would fare overall?

Date: May 22, 2011 19:27

carlostones10
melillo

You can´t talk south america like a country. South america is a continent and each country is much different.

In Argentina Stones are the most popular rock band. In Brazil not. I don´t know about Uuruguay, Chile, Peru, Venezuela, Bolivia, Paraguay, etc.
It´s impossible mention south america like a country.

If you had to make a guess how do you think the Stones would rank overall among all the countries in South America?

Date: May 22, 2011 21:48

stonescrow
Quique-stone
stonescrow

Thanks for the invitation, mate, If only I was about thirty years younger, not that I am that old, (60). I have never been much of a traveler, especially these days. I did make it to California about three years ago and that is as far as I have ever been away from the NW. I sure hope they get back to Argentina at least one more time and I hope it makes it onto the DVD, nothing like the fans in Buenos Aires, you guys are the greatest.

Thanks for the excellent input. If you had to make a guess who do you think is the overall favorite band in South America among all the countries? I mean if a poll was taken in each country in South America and the results were combined how do you think the Stones would fare overall?

Again, thanks for your generous words to our audience.

Is a very difficult question to answer, may be it's almost done already...

If you don't limit the question to rock music, the winner would be a latin music artist for sure, someone like Shakira, Ricky Martin, Luis Miguel, Roberto Carlos and even Julio Iglesias. If you limit it to rock music, my guess is that it would be an Argentian pop band called Soda Stereo, that would have happened in the 90's for sure, they were number one all over from Mexico to Antartida, with the exception of Brazil as they sing in Spanish and not in Portuguese. But that was until 10 years ago, as they have disbanded and only returned for a reunion tour in 2007, they have played then in the USA too. Another local hero who is considered the father of the latinamerican rock music in Spanish is Charly Garcia, he is very well known and admired in all South America and Central America too. As for the Brazilian people they have their own great and wonderful artists, their are not that much into rock music even if you have some really cool bands, but their have their own and typical style only done in Brazil. I love Brazilian artists, they are great. Coming back to what you want to know, my guess is that the Rolling Stones would have certainly a very good position in that poll, no doubt. Besides Argentina, Chile and Uruguay are rocker countries too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-22 21:55 by Quique-stone.

Date: May 22, 2011 21:49

The best way to confirm anything is to experiment it by yourself!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-22 21:51 by Quique-stone.

Date: May 22, 2011 21:51

We have open arms for everybody!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-22 21:52 by Quique-stone.

Date: May 22, 2011 22:01

Quique-stone
stonescrow
Quique-stone
stonescrow

Again, thanks for your generous words to our audience.

Is a very difficult question to answer, may be it's almost done already...

If you don't limit the question to rock music, the winner would be a latin music artist for sure, someone like Shakira, Ricky Martin, Luis Miguel, Roberto Carlos and even Julio Iglesias. If you limit it to rock music, my guess is that it would be an Argentian pop band called Soda Stereo, that would have happened in the 90's for sure, they were number one all over from Mexico to Antartida, with the exception of Brazil as they sing in Spanish and not in Portuguese. But that was until 10 years ago, as they have disbanded and only returned for a reunion tour in 2007, they have played then in the USA too. Another local hero who is considered the father of the latinamerican rock music in Spanish is Charly Garcia, he is very well known and admird in all South America and Central America too. As for the Brazilian people they have their own great and wonderful artists, their are not that much into rock music even if you have some really cool bands, but their have their own and typical style only done in Brazil. I love Brazilian artists, they are great. Coming back to what you want to know, my guess is that the Rolling Stones would have certainly a very good position in that poll, no doubt. Besides Argentina, Chile and Uruguay are rocker countries too.

Again, thank you very much for your most valuable insights. Nice to know that the Stones are held in such high regard in both Central and South America.

One question I forgot to ask was how people in general from Central and South America view the Beatles today? Would it be accurate to say the Stones are more popular than the Beatles?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1273
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home