Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tokai Les Paul
Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:14

Im looking to buy a cheaper Les Paul Style Guitar, I have a Les Paul already but want a spare. Has anyone had an experience with Tokai, there is a cheaper Chinese model and a more expensive japanese one. Are they any good or are there any imports I could look into.

Re: Tokai Les Paul
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:19

Epiphone Les Paul Customs (not standard, their top of the range ones) are excellent.

Really excellent.

I had a sunburst one, couldn't fault it, neck and action was awesome.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:20

lapaz62
Are they any good or are there any imports I could look into.

Import into which country?

Date: May 18, 2011 16:28

Im in Australia, maybe Europe or Asia have something that we dont know about. I had an Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst, it seemed a little small for me and its got an ugly head stock, traded it for an Epiphone 335 dot, that was a cool guitar. I only have a Carlsbro 85 watt combo and a Boss GT-10 effects processor, looking for that sound that I still havent found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-18 16:35 by lapaz62.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:39

lapaz62
and its got an ugly head stock,.

I really like Epiphone Headstocks.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:42

Tokai's more expensive japanese models are very nice. The chinese ones are like any other chinese made guitar = the quality is very different from instrument to instrument even between the same model. Some are great value for the money and some make you wonder how they could let it leave the factory.

Epiphone's more expensive guitars are really good although I liked them better when they were made in Korea. I agree about the ugly head on their Les Pauls and SG:s!

Well, my advice would be that you keep your eyes open for the japanese made copies of Les Paul that were made in the 70's and 80's. Some of them are really excellent and they are still quite cheap. Hondo, Duke, Burny, Greco Kasuga, Sigma, Harmony...the list of names to look for is long!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-18 16:43 by tonterapi.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 18, 2011 16:52

Date: May 19, 2011 04:23

Thanks for the tip on the Edwards, will try to find a dealer and check them out. The prices are similar to the japanese Tokai, over $1000 but the Aussie dollar is up, maybe I will get a bargain.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 19, 2011 09:51

Japanese Tokai were at their peak in the early 80s. I have an '85 SG. I haven't tried a Chinese made Tokai but they are supposed to be good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 898
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home