Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones Music Played in the Sleaziest Pubs in Town
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 26, 2011 17:48

Some of our best local bands started out in the most sleaziest pubs and clubs in town.With some of these old places ya' can have a really good time in..theres always a good vibe.So whats the most sleaziest and run down pub or club ya' been to where the band played a few Rolling Stone songs and ya' had a good time in.

Re: Stones Music Played in the Sleaziest Pubs in Town
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 26, 2011 20:00

Most bar bands in south Georgia in the 80's played SMU and HTW, as well as being required to play "Cocaine", "Gimme Three Steps", and "Freebird". Some really sleazy places, I might add. It was GREAT!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 26, 2011 20:30

None sleazier than Dirty Dora's in Swansea in the '70's where Punks, skinheads, greasers, Angels, Teddy boys, Mods, reggae boys, nutty boys & hippies all used to gather to keep out of the way of the cops & the cheap suits, where Johnny Rotten hid behind his speakers after unwisedly gobbing on my mate Jacko, where the punks poggoed to Respectable and the Stones 19th Nervous breakdown - the 12" disco version of Miss you were part of the staple diet with D.Js & visiting bands alike Esp. The Trembling Knees.............brilliant.................mind you, Jimmy Wilde's had it's moments too.....................

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-26 21:18 by EddieByword.

Date: April 26, 2011 21:27

EddieByword..Some of these bands that went from being almost famous to famous that played in some of these places..love nothing better than when they're back in town to play a few gigs in these smoke filled run-down sleazy places.They say its where the real people hang-out..smoking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 26, 2011 22:25

a bordello in the south of Rio de janeiro.
byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
One Love
jeroen

Date: April 26, 2011 22:54

corriecas
a bordello in the south of Rio de janeiro.
byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
One Love
jeroen
That'll be 3 Hail Marys my son....>grinning smiley<grinning smileywinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-26 22:55 by EddieByword.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 26, 2011 22:59

On a good night, any place the boys played became a sleazy bar.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 27, 2011 01:49

I once played Dance Little Sister on the jukebox in a strip joint.

Date: April 27, 2011 03:01

EddieByword
None sleazier than Dirty Dora's in Swansea in the '70's where Punks, skinheads, greasers, Angels, Teddy boys, Mods, reggae boys, nutty boys & hippies all used to gather to keep out of the way of the cops & the cheap suits, where Johnny Rotten hid behind his speakers after unwisedly gobbing on my mate Jacko, where the punks poggoed to Respectable and the Stones 19th Nervous breakdown - the 12" disco version of Miss you were part of the staple diet with D.Js & visiting bands alike Esp. The Trembling Knees.............brilliant.................mind you, Jimmy Wilde's had it's moments too.....................

EddieByword..ya'.."Dirty Dora's" sounds a bit like "The Junkyard Dog Bar" on a quiet night.. yea'smoking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 27, 2011 04:14

Love this one...sleazy bars and Stones songs..all the way down. we used to play lots of them, in the Charlotte area. there's a great one in Black Mountain, NC, called the Town Pump...they loved some Stones in there. 'Brown Sugar'..Little Queenie...Bye Bye Johnnie ( yes Berry songs ) Tumblin Dice..Under My Thumb...Sympathy...

Date: April 27, 2011 04:31

colonial
EddieByword

EddieByword..ya'.."Dirty Dora's" sounds a bit like "The Junkyard Dog Bar" on a quiet night.. yea'smoking smiley
Yeah...at least 3 quiet nights a week in those days...oh, a couple of lots I forgot....sailors & hookers ....Dora's was on the first street after leaving the docks....."The Junkyard Dog Bar" ..that's a great name...definitely paints a picture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-27 04:31 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 27, 2011 04:31

Hey colonial how's this one ............ Some years back went in club bar Wheat Sheaf Hotel - Terang with a couple of mates... At other end of bar were a gang of 6-8 young guys who were havin' a good time and could overhear them talking about Robert Johnson and Rolling Stones.

They were all pretty well tanked but made myself known and started talkin' and jokin' with them about Johnson and Stones BUT after a short time there's an altercation with barman and he refuses to serve them anymore. Next Manager arrives and tells them no more drinks they have ta vacate the hotel.

Once manager leaves bar the young guys tell me ta get down the other end of bar and stand back because they are gonna wreck the place!!!! Suddenly every table an chair and is landing behind the bar... Smashing mirrors...shelves and all the top-shelf booze...CRASH!!!!SLAM!!....Glass flyin everywhere.....CRAZY

They run from joint leavin bar wrecked and us guys standing there laughin'.....Cops arrive and question
us but tell 'em nothing and couldn't be bothered tellin' 'em about the Johnson Stones thingo....UNREAL DAY

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 27, 2011 04:46

The Dungeon on Toulouse Street in New Orleans

Used to be a great rock & roll bar in the 70s & 80s.
I think now it's mostly techno/dance kinda place.

Date: April 27, 2011 04:58

Rockman..yea'.. good one mate.We used to hang out alot in one of Sydney's more notorious pubs in Bondi..The Astra..it was always full of ya' Working class Battlers 24/7..yea' and alot of Surfies that could'nt be bothered working hanging around there as well.Some great Ozzie bands played there the crowd would always get down and dirty when they played alot of The Stones stuff..yea'..smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-27 05:10 by colonial.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: April 27, 2011 06:02

Elmo Lewis
Most bar bands in south Georgia in the 80's played SMU and HTW, as well as being required to play "Cocaine", "Gimme Three Steps", and "Freebird". Some really sleazy places, I might add. It was GREAT!

Same in Louisiana....also Clarence Carter's "Strokin'"......

Date: April 27, 2011 07:14

EddieByword
colonial
EddieByword

Yeah...at least 3 quiet nights a week in those days...oh, a couple of lots I forgot....sailors & hookers ....Dora's was on the first street after leaving the docks....."The Junkyard Dog Bar" ..that's a great name...definitely paints a picture

EddieByword..yea' mate The Junkyard Dog Bar makes the Jack The Ripper Pub in London's eastend look like a 5*****Hotel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-27 07:21 by colonial.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 27, 2011 08:28

I don't know about pubs.

I'm in Venice at the moment and yesterday I was walking past a trinket booth in St Paul's Square when I heard an acoustic guitar from inside the booth. "That sounds familiar" says I. This young Italian man with young Mick Taylor hair about 20 years old is playing a very nice verion of the one and only Brown Sugar. I was only posting about Brown Sugar here a couple of days ago.

Anyway I smiled and gave him a thumbs up (but didn't buy any trinkets).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-27 08:29 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 27, 2011 08:35

good one mate.We used to hang out alot in one of Sydney's more notorious pubs in Bondi..

Hey Yeah colonial ...... Bit of boozin' at The Rocks but
spent more time in those outback New South cotton towns ....
Pretty wild segregated bars and when ever I staggered out always
thought that some dude had parked all the cars the wrong way round....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 27, 2011 13:13

Marie

Hey, Marie! I'm in New Orleans. Where you at ?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 27, 2011 18:12

Edith Grove
Marie

Yeah, "Strokin" was played a lot too!

That what I be doin', I be strokin'.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: April 27, 2011 20:59

Edith Grove
Marie

You lucky thing. Central part of the state...right now (and for the last couple of weeks) uncharacteristically windy for this time of year with 20-30 mph wind all day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-27 21:01 by Marie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home